This Red Bulls commercial

Blown01NJ

Playing in NY, its so great..so different...everything is better in NY...I can run through walls..

HEY DIPsh!t YOU PLAY IN NJ

I yelled the same thing at my TV. That fvckstick in the commercial probably lives somewhere in Essex County too and never sets foot in NY. fvcking phony.

Yeah, it's all about marketing, unfortunately. Believe it or not, Red Bulls has a good presence throughout the country, not too different from the Rangers. Anyone from NY who's away on business or moved elsewhere, you'll see (and hear) a lot of them at these games out West, in LA, Portland, Seattle, etc... Keeping that "NY" image is pretty important, unfortunately for us New Jersey folk. This is why I love and respect the Devils even more than I did before the Nets left. They're all we got and they're really proud of this state..

Until that Yankees/Man City owned team comes into existence, they SHOULD market as NY's team. They're marketing to the whole tri state market, not just mainly to NJ like the Devils are which allows them to use Jersey's Team

Not to mention, as someone who goes to a lot of games, I see a ton of people taking the PATH in from New York. A lot of Brooklynites and people from Manhattan go to Red Bulls games. The Devils came into the league under very different circumstances in 1982, surrounded by local rival markets; being "Jersey's team" would inevitably be a no-brainer for them.

But I think for RBNY's survival, they have to be "New York's team". MLS itself is an emerging league, so they need to really engage all the mega markets as much as they can.

I yelled the same thing at my TV. That fvckstick in the commercial probably lives somewhere in Essex County too and never sets foot in NY. fvcking phony.

+1

The Red Bulls have always been dead to me because of their fake NY image.

It's too bad the Cosmos didn't join the MLS. Maybe that would've cut into the Red Bulls NY fan appeal.

Edited by 95Crash

+1

The Red Bulls have always been dead to me because of their fake NY image.

It's too bad the Cosmos didn't join the MLS. Maybe that would've cut into the Red Bulls NY fan appeal.

My dad coached my younger brother's soccer teams for years...from when he was 7 years old, up until he started high school.  My dad got the job last-second...the original coach quit, someone asked my dad if he could step in, and he said he would.  He then ran out to Efinger's (a sporting goods store in Bound Brook) and bought a rulebook, because he didn't know anything about soccer.  His first team went 0-10, but that was the only losing record he had in his coaching career. 

My bro was a center halfback before moving to sweeper.  He made the state team a number of times (my dad coached those teams too...after that first rough year, he did a terrific job)...this is going back to the late-70s to mid-80s. 

We had season tix for the original Cosmos for a few years...they had a hell of a team for a while...from 1976-83 they actually averaged well over 2 GPG (almost 3 GPG some seasons), which is kind of unheard of in soccer.  They drew well too...from 1978-80, they averaged well over 40,000 fans, and that was AFTER Pele had left the team (he played for them from 1975-77).  Giorgio Chinalgia's signing helped greatly...he was one of the few overseas players to play in the NASL while still firmly in his prime.  We saw him score seven goals in a single game (he did that twice in his NASL career).

The tailgate parties were great...soccer back then felt just as important (to us, anyway) as the other major sports.  Attendance dropped off rapidly after 1980 (from over 42,000 to just over 12,000 in 1984). 

Yeah, would've been interesting for sure if the Cosmos had joined MLS...it's been almost 30 years since their last season (before joining the new NASL, anyway).  The new NASL has actually resurrected some of the original teams' locations AND nicknames.  But the Cosmos still have some nostalgia among some for sure...the Cosmos fans were really into it back in the day. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I also hate that commercial for the same reason.. Makes me not want to support them anymore if they can't even acknowledge where they play.. I mean most if their fans come from the Ironbound right?

Colin!  What's up dude?!

You should probably ask DatboyJPP since he works for the Red Bulls.

Eh, their tie to New York has always felt forced but it has come with the benefits of attracting DPs & frankly Red Bull's money.

To me its going to be interesting how/if they change their tune when the Manchester/Yankees team arrives

I mean most if their fans come from the Ironbound right?

Highly doubt it.. I'd say that's about 10% of the fanbase, while another 70% is made up mostly of suburban NY and NJ families. Last 20% being 18-30 year olds from the local area (including NYC/Brooklyn).

lol this is kinda funny.  I've been a RedBulls season ticket holder for a very long time.  I've followed and supported this team since 96 when we were the Metrostars.  So if you're saying that the "NY Brand" is an appeal, think again.  It's that piece of sh!t energy drink brand that does the opposite, it drives people away.  It's a corporate shill.  I absolutely HATE the fact that we are owned by Red Bull.  

• 4 weeks later...

I love soccer and soccer culture. I think something that makes it so great is the community aspect. Thousands of people standing and singing for the team that represents their community (often times as narrow as neighborhoods or streets) on the global stage of soccer. This is why I don't understand people who claim to be supporters of clubs in cities in Europe they've never been to, or even know the local language. When I first became drawn to soccer, probably around 2008, I fell in love with Red Bull, because I felt like they were my soccer team. I joined ESC, and went to as many games as I could. I was at the final soccer game at Giants Stadium (I think it was a win against Toronto, one of the 3 or 4 on the season, also eliminated Toronto from their first potential playoff appearance), and I was there in 2010 when they opened RBA and beat Santos. I absolutely loved the experience of the fans in the Ironbound in Newark and marching to the stadium from the bars across the river. Eventually, I accepted that the club and the culture around the club were complete shams. I always knew it; I always hated the corporate brand, always called the team "Metros", even when the RB/Metro riff turned into a general "we need to call them Red Bulls" sentiment. And the whole "New York" thing finally buried it for me. I hate New York as a city, I hate being associated with New York, I hate the culture and people of New York, I hate it all. Being a Devils fan is about being from New Jersey and being proud of it. Being a Devils fan is about embracing our culture as distinct and unique. When I meet Rangers fans from New Jersey, I lose some respect for them on a fundamental level. When we have a team that represents our collective community, you must have some serious lack of respect for that community to support the Rangers (or Islanders, but I don't really run into those folks a lot). What I loved about going to Red Bull games in Harrison was what I percieved to be an expression of our culture. This was our team. But that's just not how it is. I can't sit here and loathe everything about New York, percieve a New York team in a different sport as a bitter and hated geographic rival, and then show up to a soccer game in Harrison with "New York" embroidered on the chest of the shirt I'm wearing. I haven't been to a game in a few years, nor do I really have an interest in doing so in the forseeable future. I can't experience a Devils game and feel that same personal connection to a club that plays in essentially the same town, that markets to the city of our most hated rival. The same way I could never buy a Brooklyn Nets jersey and stomach supporting that team after how they left. The same way I'm losing my connection with the baseball team I've loved since I was a kid.

RIght now, I'm just kind of in a soccer limbo. I love the game, I'll watch it on occaision, I even still love MLS, but I don't have a team. We don't have a team. I wish I could be excited about Red Bull clinching the Supporters Shield today, the way I know I would've been two years ago. The way my RB contacts I still have are. I wish I could even go to Philadelphia Union games, but I just can't do that either. What my serious hope is right now, is that when this new New York team takes the field, it will financially and ideologically cripple Red Bull. Does it make sense to try to compete for New York when this New York City team that people within the boroughs have been begging for for years shows up playing in New Jersey? Especially with the Cosmos now in the NASL out on Long Island. Are you going to realistically be able to draw a significant amount of people from New York? If not, I'm not sure it's wise to continue to alienate the community you play in for better exposure for your energy drink marketing campaign. Admittedly, not everyone thinks like I do, and even the most hard core of Devils fans may not be as thoroughly offended by Red Bull as I am. But, my hope is that common sense prevails. Hopefully Red Bull sells, and someone comes in and accepts the true geographic identity of this team. Maybe they can call them New Jersey whatever, or Newark whatever, but if that day ever were to come, I'd be the first one back in line, and that team would have my lifelong dedication. Hell, maybe one day the NBA will come back our way, and the Newark Bears will be an MLB team. A man can dream.

Great post thecoffeecake! I definitely can echo some of your sentiments and relate to what you are saying on some levels. When I was younger I used to watch the MetroStars and when I was old enough to drive (2005) I made it to a few games at Giants Stadium which was awful for soccer but I loved it.

Of course the NY/NJ part of the name had been dropped well before Red Bull took the team over, but the simple MetroStars name made it feel like it was still NJ. The Red Bull takeover and rebranding to NY really irked me and took away any connection to the club that I had felt. I understood the business reasons behind it but it still bothered me.

With that said, I was really happy for the supporters, especially the old Metro supporters who continue to support Red Bull, when they won the Supporter's Shield last night. It was great to see Mike Petke raise the shield considering what he means to the club's history. Even though I feel disconnected from the club and don't cheer for them, I don't hate them or wish them bad. They're just another MLS team to me at this point.

Over the years soccer has become my 2nd favorite sport (after hockey) to watch. I absolutely love MLS and I was thrilled to see the parity in the league this year as well as the optimism over expansion and how much the league has grown in a positive direction both on and off the field. I probably watch about 3/4 of the Red Bulls games still despite not cheering them, and I DVR or watch almost every nationally telecast MLS game. I don't have a team but I am a fan of the league and feel it's great for American soccer.

To your point about Americans supporting teams abroad, especially from places they've never been to, I can understand and respect that. I do support Manchester United despite never being there. One reason for me was the EPL is in my mind one of the greatest leagues in the world so I enjoy following it and having a cheering stake in it. Sort of how Europeans or other internationals follow the NHL/NFL/NBA/MLB and cheer for a team from a place they have no physical ties to. I can go into my reasons on why I chose MUFC if you want but I'm trying to keep this post as short as possible.

To your point about NJ residents cheering for NY teams in sports where we don't have one, I can also understand and respect that. Though I suppose I am a bit hypocritical to be honest. I don't cheer for Red Bulls because of the NY name and the way they seemed to reject everything NJ. I do cheer for the Yankees though since I was brought up watching those games since before I could remember and it's not like NJ ever had a pro MLB team. I would probably switch if NJ ever did have an MLB team. I cheer for the Giants but admittanly I'm not nearly as passionate about them as I am about the Devils or Yankees. I wasn't even a fan until college when 2 of my roommates made me into one (never had a NFL allegiance growing up). At least they have history in NY which is one reason I can live with them still being NY and not NJ. I'm a Nets fan and went back and forth on whether to support them as they ditched NJ. The deciding factor was that my family does have Brooklyn roots and I still have a decent amount of family in Brooklyn so I decided to stick with them.

I do love that the Devils really embrace the Jersey's team mentality. Besides hockey being my favorite sport, that is why I will always love the Devils.

At least when Red Bull took over the MetroStars they were only disrespecting roughly a decade of history. What Red Bull did when they took over SV Austria Salzburg (founded 1933) is downright disgraceful. SV Austria Salzburg fans that rejected Red Bull actually reformed SV Austria Salzburg and hope to make it back into the Austrian Bundesliga one day (longshot). In terms of owners, Red Bull NY has actually done a lot of good for their fans here.

It will be interesting to see what will happen if/when Red Bull does sell the NY team. Who knows when that could be, it maybe quite awhile, but with NYCFC coming to the league, and perhaps the Cosmos somehow convincing MLS that the NY area needs 3 teams (doubtful) then maybe NJ will get embraced again.

At least when Red Bull took over the MetroStars they were only disrespecting roughly a decade of history. What Red Bull did when they took over SV Austria Salzburg (founded 1933) is downright disgraceful. SV Austria Salzburg fans that rejected Red Bull actually reformed SV Austria Salzburg and hope to make it back into the Austrian Bundesliga one day (longshot). In terms of owners, Red Bull NY has actually done a lot of good for their fans here.

I have nothing to complain about re: Red Bulls taking over and rebranding the Metrostars. We were the laughingstock of the league, were given nothing to cheer for, EVER. Red Bull gave us a world-class arena to play in and has done its best to build a contender every year, whether or not that's how it played out on the field.

Why should we support the "New York" Red Bulls? And why don't I mind that they're branded as a "New York" team? Because they, a soccer team, were able to sell out all 25,600 seats last night while the Devils couldn't sell out their home opener... So that's reason enough why branding it as a New York team was necessary.

I have nothing to complain about re: Red Bulls taking over and rebranding the Metrostars. We were the laughingstock of the league, were given nothing to cheer for, EVER. Red Bull gave us a world-class arena to play in and has done its best to build a contender every year, whether or not that's how it played out on the field.

Why should we support the "New York" Red Bulls? And why don't I mind that they're branded as a "New York" team? Because they, a soccer team, were able to sell out all 25,600 seats last night while the Devils couldn't sell out their home opener... So that's reason enough why branding it as a New York team was necessary.

Completely agree.  The whole geographical branding of teams in this area debate is silly and everyone knows that NY carries a lot more weight and possibly sponsor and tv revenues than NJ can ever bring.  Just taking my NJ Devils fan off for a minute and seeing that NJ still has a hockey team after 30 years while Nordiques still have none after 18 years and running and Winnipeg didn't have one for about 15 years until they moved the Thrashers is nothing short of amazing.

Point is NY Red Bulls can have whatever name they want plastered on their shirts and logos.  They are still basically the same team I remember going to at their very first game ever in Giants Stadium with Meola in goal.

I love soccer and soccer culture. I think something that makes it so great is the community aspect. Thousands of people standing and singing for the team that represents their community (often times as narrow as neighborhoods or streets) on the global stage of soccer. This is why I don't understand people who claim to be supporters of clubs in cities in Europe they've never been to, or even know the local language. When I first became drawn to soccer, probably around 2008, I fell in love with Red Bull, because I felt like they were my soccer team. I joined ESC, and went to as many games as I could. I was at the final soccer game at Giants Stadium (I think it was a win against Toronto, one of the 3 or 4 on the season, also eliminated Toronto from their first potential playoff appearance), and I was there in 2010 when they opened RBA and beat Santos. I absolutely loved the experience of the fans in the Ironbound in Newark and marching to the stadium from the bars across the river. Eventually, I accepted that the club and the culture around the club were complete shams. I always knew it; I always hated the corporate brand, always called the team "Metros", even when the RB/Metro riff turned into a general "we need to call them Red Bulls" sentiment. And the whole "New York" thing finally buried it for me. I hate New York as a city, I hate being associated with New York, I hate the culture and people of New York, I hate it all. Being a Devils fan is about being from New Jersey and being proud of it. Being a Devils fan is about embracing our culture as distinct and unique. When I meet Rangers fans from New Jersey, I lose some respect for them on a fundamental level. When we have a team that represents our collective community, you must have some serious lack of respect for that community to support the Rangers (or Islanders, but I don't really run into those folks a lot). What I loved about going to Red Bull games in Harrison was what I percieved to be an expression of our culture. This was our team. But that's just not how it is. I can't sit here and loathe everything about New York, percieve a New York team in a different sport as a bitter and hated geographic rival, and then show up to a soccer game in Harrison with "New York" embroidered on the chest of the shirt I'm wearing. I haven't been to a game in a few years, nor do I really have an interest in doing so in the forseeable future. I can't experience a Devils game and feel that same personal connection to a club that plays in essentially the same town, that markets to the city of our most hated rival. The same way I could never buy a Brooklyn Nets jersey and stomach supporting that team after how they left. The same way I'm losing my connection with the baseball team I've loved since I was a kid.

RIght now, I'm just kind of in a soccer limbo. I love the game, I'll watch it on occaision, I even still love MLS, but I don't have a team. We don't have a team. I wish I could be excited about Red Bull clinching the Supporters Shield today, the way I know I would've been two years ago. The way my RB contacts I still have are. I wish I could even go to Philadelphia Union games, but I just can't do that either. What my serious hope is right now, is that when this new New York team takes the field, it will financially and ideologically cripple Red Bull. Does it make sense to try to compete for New York when this New York City team that people within the boroughs have been begging for for years shows up playing in New Jersey? Especially with the Cosmos now in the NASL out on Long Island. Are you going to realistically be able to draw a significant amount of people from New York? If not, I'm not sure it's wise to continue to alienate the community you play in for better exposure for your energy drink marketing campaign. Admittedly, not everyone thinks like I do, and even the most hard core of Devils fans may not be as thoroughly offended by Red Bull as I am. But, my hope is that common sense prevails. Hopefully Red Bull sells, and someone comes in and accepts the true geographic identity of this team. Maybe they can call them New Jersey whatever, or Newark whatever, but if that day ever were to come, I'd be the first one back in line, and that team would have my lifelong dedication. Hell, maybe one day the NBA will come back our way, and the Newark Bears will be an MLB team. A man can dream.

You would seriously not follow Red Bull because they dropped NJ from their name/uniforms and changed the name to match their corporate logo and would seriously rather watch a team with this on their uniforms?

the-philadelphia-union-2011-team-photo.j

Yes I know it is a bread company but I'll take Red Bull corporate logo on my chest over this.