Brodeur Article, name dropping where he might want to play, reveals wh

'7'

Pretty spot-on DD56.  I've already "forgiven" him.  These last two years sucked, but the many that came before it didn't.  He's not the first former great who can't see what almost everyone else does.  Still wish he'd shut it, but I think he's just getting started.

I have nothing to 'forgive' Marty for. Its water under the bridge to me. This season is over, what's done is done. Its time to move on after Sunday. I'm not going to harbor any bitterness against a man who did so much for the New Jersey Devils. I prefer he'd retire, but if he wants to play elsewhere... Its his life. I just don't want to see him embarrass himself.

At this point, Marty is a falling star trying to say anything to save face, whether it's for his own mental self preservation or for someone dumb enough to sign him this summer. I don't agree with what he says, but I also think he's not in his right mind when he's saying it. He's reeling because this wasn't how it was supposed to end. He was supposed to retire the triumphant hero, and now he's facing the reality of fading away.

If I can use one of SterioDesign's relationship analogies, it's like someone getting dumped who wasn't expecting it. They say a lot of things out of fear and jealousy. In Marty's mind, he would be just as good as he was if only he got another chance, and he doesn't realize Deboer gave him way more chances than he deserved this season. For some reason, he still thinks there's a couple of drops in the tank. These last 2 years sucked. I think he will be forgiven once some time has gone by, similar to the Niedermayer situation.

Well said. I don't think anyone needs to forgive him. I'm one his harshest critics, and I don't think he needs to be forgiven. He's unaware that a 41/42 year-old goalie is not supposed to be great still and no amount of games is going to change that. That's not the worst thing in the world.

I do want to go over a few points from TG's article:

“That’s something that the situation I’m going to get myself in is something I’m going to be OK with,” he said. “So, if you see me here next year, it’s because I’m OK to be sharing the net or doing whatever I’m going to be told. But I’m not going to go through what I’ve done (this season): Thinking that you’re still No. 1 and next thing you know you’re just kind of yo-yoing up a little bit. I’m going to have the power of that next year. This year I didn’t have (it).” - See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/brodeur_i_might_have_played_my_last_game_here_says_devils_in_unbelievable_hands_with_schneider/#sthash.hctjB9LP.dpuf

This was an issue from the minute Cory was traded to the Devils and Lou said we had two #1s and Marty was still a #1. Then Pete said Brodeur was #1 too. There really shouldn't have been a debate, but no one wanted ruffle any feathers. Or maybe they underestimated how good Cory was or underestimated Brodeur's ego (not any different from any great) or overestimating his ability to be a starting goalie. 

I don't wish any GM or coach the decisions that need to be made. Remember how Lemaire described telling Shanahan he wasn't good enough to have a role on the Devils. It would almost be 10x harder due what Brodeur has meant to the franchise. Well it still should have been done in July-September, and it might have to be done this off-season. The Brodeur/Schneider paring was never going to work, and I don't know what Lou really expected. 

As for the "having the power" comment, I really don't get it. As a free agent you might be told things you want to hear or things you don't want to hear, but there will be no power in any other organization. I don't think anyone will tell you you are a starter, but even if they did, there is a good chance that would change with a snap of a finger.

Brodeur basically admits he was never happy sharing the net with Cory. He said all the right things in the off-season, but I guess he thought that his name or legacy would always give him the upper hand over Cory. So even with 3 months to digest the news, I don't believe he he was prepared for this. At the very least, he might have thought that some good teams would want a Marty Brodeur if the Devils went the other way. That never happened either.

Brodeur is right in a way. It is tough to play your best without seeing much game time. Both goalies dealt with it, though and one came out on top. The same goalie that would 99/100 come out on top if they each played 65 games. 

Edited by devilsrule33

I have nothing to 'forgive' Marty for. Its water under the bridge to me. This season is over, what's done is done. Its time to move on after Sunday. I'm not going to harbor any bitterness against a man who did so much for the New Jersey Devils. I prefer he'd retire, but if he wants to play elsewhere... Its his life. I just don't want to see him embarrass himself.

That's why I put "forgive" in quotes really...I wasn't holding any of this against him in the first place myself (I just want him to stop talking).  I just wish this had ended a little more smoothly and with less quotes like the ones that seem to be becoming a daily thing, but so be it.  It is what it is.

That's why I put "forgive" in quotes really...I wasn't holding any of this against him in the first place myself (I just want him to stop talking). I just wish this had ended a little more smoothly and with less quotes like the ones that seem to be becoming a daily thing, but so be it. It is what it is.

Yeah we're on the same page about the situation CR. That's exactly how I feel.

dr33:  they expected Brodeur to get hurt.  He's 41 going on 42.  He's been hurt in each of the last 3 seasons and 4 of the last 5.  Why wouldn't it happen this year?

EDIT:  I also think Brodeur didn't realize how bad it would feel to be sitting half the games.  I imagine after the Schneider deal he knew what that meant - I don't think he was delusional enough to think that NJ dealt a 1st round pick for a guy they weren't going to use - but that he really hadn't been in this spot in his career.  It has to be very difficult knowing that you're being squeezed out of the NHL and not able to do anything about it, and I imagine Brodeur felt that a lot on the bench this year.

It's also clear from this that Brodeur called the shots to a large degree about when he played in previous years, which is something we all suspected.

Edited by Triumph

oh, thankfully there's just 72 hours left of this bullsh*t.   

there's way more of it left.  Who is going to sign Brodeur in the summer?  If the two or three teams that might have interest in Brodeur pass on him, that leaves no one.  It only ends when he goes somewhere else.  Which might not be until November or even later.

Edited by Triumph

oh, thankfully there's just 72 hours left of this bullsh*t.   

Oh no...there is far more than 72 hours left of quotes

There will be a few throughout the summer, and a bunch right before/after July 1...when Marty likely signs a deal with another team

there's way more of it left.  Who is going to sign Brodeur in the summer?  If the two or three teams that might have interest in Brodeur pass on him, that leaves no one.  It only ends when he goes somewhere else.  Which might not be until November or even later.

I have to think there is at least *1* team that would love to have him as a backup and veteran presence on their team...

Especially when he will likely come at a rather cheap price....

Tri, I don't disagree with you.   For me personally, there's 72 hours left.  I won't follow what happens with #30 unless he is re-signed.

I believe #30 will not announce any retirement until 2015.  He'll try to get on some team before July 1, after July 1, before Camp, after Camp, and during the season he'll still be waiting on someone else to get injured...so I don't expect him to announce anything before mid-December..

ThreeCups:  Read the quotes, Brodeur does not want to be a backup.  He's said all along he wants to play more than he has this year.  Well, this year he's played 37 games.  If he wanted to be a backup this wouldn't be an issue, he could stay here or go somewhere else.  He doesn't want to backup.

Scary thought time:

Marty doesn't get signed by anyone but doesn't consider himself retired, Cory gets hurt in November sometime and looks like he's going to miss 6-8 weeks minimum, and the Devils' backup is clearly nothing more than a backup...

Admittedly, I didn't consider the "Marty might still be a UFA after the season" scenario, but there it is...yikes...

Here is another gem from brodeur today. He is basically blaming his poor performances on him not getting enough playing time in a row while saying that's the reason why Cory has done so well. Just leave already.

"I had my chance. I had some games. It's easy for him(DeBoer) to make switches but it's hard for a goalie to get on a roll when you don't play," Brodeur said. "You look at Cory and he's playing unbelievable right now. There's a reason. He's playing a lot."

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/04/unhappy_with_playing_time_this_season_martin_brodeur_gives_best_hint_yet_that_hes_done_with_devils.html#incart_river_default

To be fair he is right when he says that its hard for a goalie to get on a roll when you don't play, well at least for me and every goalie I know or played with.   

Scary thought time:

Marty doesn't get signed by anyone but doesn't consider himself retired, Cory gets hurt in November sometime and looks like he's going to miss 6-8 weeks minimum, and the Devils' backup is clearly nothing more than a backup...

Admittedly, I didn't consider the "Marty might still be a UFA after the season" scenario, but there it is...yikes...

Why did you have to bring that Pandora's Box out :P  It's not exactly unprecedented either since it happened with Beezer...

Not to mention if Marty's this 'open and honest' while still here just wait till he's not under contract with us anymore.

ThreeCups:  Read the quotes, Brodeur does not want to be a backup.  He's said all along he wants to play more than he has this year.  Well, this year he's played 37 games.  If he wanted to be a backup this wouldn't be an issue, he could stay here or go somewhere else.  He doesn't want to backup.

Realistically, the best case scenario for Marty is that he goes to a team that will allow him to "compete" for a starting job....

Do you guys think he is just saying this stuff, or if he truly believes it's going to be that easy for him?

Realistically, the best case scenario for Marty is that he goes to a team that will allow him to "compete" for a starting job....

Do you guys think he is just saying this stuff, or if he truly believes it's going to be that easy for him?

Marty can't compete for the starting job on any team in the league.

He is having a hard time accepting that he is not good anymore but deep down he knows. He has said so pretty clearly "I am trying to prove to myself that I can still play" (or something of the sort) and that he doesn't 'necessarily need to go to a team where he can start" (or something of the sort).

Look at this line from Brodeur in this article:

"Brodeur said he will weigh offers from other teams once he becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1. He said he hasn’t ruled out staying with the Devils, if they want him, but not with the same arrangement he’s had this season.

“I'm not saying I was promised anything but I definitely was not promised that, to sit back whenever games counted throughout the year,” Brodeur said Thursday."

Haha yeah good luck finding a team that will work around the wants and needs of a 42-year old goaltender who has lost more than a couple of steps in his game.

I think Calgary or Edmonton might be possibilities for Marty. Calgary more than Edmonton because they probably won't be a playoff team. Marty could probably get the amount of games he wants there and he'd be mentoring Ramo.

No thanks to Marty as GM too. At least not here, not for a while. 

Edited by Jerzey Devil

I think Calgary or Edmonton might be possibilities for Marty. Calgary more than Edmonton because they probably won't be a playoff team. Marty could probably get the amount of games he wants there and he'd be mentoring Ramo.

No thanks to Marty as GM too. At least not here, not for a while. 

Marty got about 37 starts this year and has been complaining to the press for the last few weeks that he believes he is still not getting enough playing time.  There is no way I could see either of those teams, let alone any team, give him more than that.  I really do think he will not be satisfied unless he gets 60+ starts.

Marty got about 37 starts this year and has been complaining to the press for the last few weeks that he believes he is still not getting enough playing time.  There is no way I could see either of those teams, let alone any team, give him more than that.  I really do think he will not be satisfied unless he gets 60+ starts.

I'm just worried that if no one gives him what he wants he'll come crawling back and Lou will give him a one year deal and he'll get the same amount of games he had this year.

Calgary is really the only team I can see giving him those games. But they were pretty good towards the end of the year. Maybe they'll have a Colorado like turnaround depending on who they draft this year.

Maybe a team that wants to tank for McDavid will sign Marty and give him 60 games. So maybe he'll end up with the Pens.