The Official 2014 Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

All the Lou hate is hilarious I love how people are sucking his dick one moment, then ready to divorce him the second he doesn't do exactly what they want.

Is anyone actually looking at the activity today? It was light and low this year LEAGUE-WIDE. It's a buyers market, and if you scan any other teams you'll see people saying the exact same thing. Players weren't getting big returns, so it's no surprise to see that guys we wanted moved (Salvador, Volchenkov) weren't moved. We also don't have a lot to give up right now, because if we wanted a Moulson or Vanek teams would've no doubt wanted Henrique or Larsson, and people would've really sh!t a brick to see his name mentioned.

Vanek to Montreal in exchange for a 2nd round pick and a prospect- lebrun

You say no doubt would've wanted larsson or Henrique?? What part of that Vanek return says larsson or henrique?

Edited by Onddeck

Some people on this board need to really get a grip.  Although it is amusing reading some the apocolyptic reactions in this thread.  Even though I don't like the trade we did make, the world isn't ending because we picked up Ruutu and didn't trade Brodeur or Sal.  Glad we didn't give up any of the prospects for a rental like Vanek or Moulson.  Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make.  This is especially true for a team in transition like the Devils.

again, it doesn't matter if ruutu is a 40 goal scorer. the odds are that very strong that he will be nothing more than zubrus, if that, and that is just not something the devils need, at all.

misallocation of resources - this is the lou lamoriello of the last 5 years.

This message will be used later as a proof that i was a believer from day one

Getting Ruutu is a key move for a great future... You will see ! 

Marty Legacy still alive and Ruutu on our roster (he will be useful !) (you will see)

Thank you Lou ! 

Some people on this board need to really get a grip.  Although it is amusing reading some the apocolyptic reactions in this thread.  Even though I don't like the trade we did make, the world isn't ending because we picked up Ruutu and didn't trade Brodeur or Sal.  Glad we didn't give up any of the prospects for a rental like Vanek or Moulson.  Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make.  This is especially true for a team in transition like the Devils.

that's what i wanted today - instead we burdened ourselves with another roster player that has to play that is extraneous and not necessary. 

Oh shut up, a lot of us have praised Lou and defended the moves that he's made in the past (including the ones that he made that didn't work out, but still made a lot of sense).  Like I and others have said, if Lou had done NOTHING, we would've been OK with that.  I don't care what other teams are doing...the grass will always be greener if you look hard enough.     

But this one is a REAL tough one to defend.  Yes, there is a chance that this move works out wonderfully and we're all eating crow.  I'll happily load up my plate if that's the case.  But jeez, it's hard to spin this day into being a good one for Lou, and I'm usually one of the fans defending him.

Home run!  Pretty sure this one actually left the stadium.  Bravo! 

Hard to defend?  It's ONE fvcking move lol.  Jesus Christ.  I think Ruutu for Loktionov straight up was fair, so I am a little disappointed that we had to throw in a 3rd rounder, but holy sh!t everyone needs to reach far up into their twats and try to untwist those panties.  I don't know how some of you make it through life.

Some people on this board need to really get a grip. Although it is amusing reading some the apocolyptic reactions in this thread. Even though I don't like the trade we did make, the world isn't ending because we picked up Ruutu and didn't trade Brodeur or Sal. Glad we didn't give up any of the prospects for a rental like Vanek or Moulson. Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make. This is especially true for a team in transition like the Devils.

well then we're just wasting resources with larsson in the AHL and another dman scratched every game

Agreed and agreed. Finally some sensible posts. The overreaction by everyone here is enough to drive you insane.

I've come to realize that after every loss you need to give the board a few hours to get the bitching out of its system. The same can be said now, It's just inevitable. That's not to say that some people can't rationally disagree or be down on the team or particular move, but it's just best to ignore posts that say "zomg Lou need to be fired!"

Welcome to the board, hope you stick around cuz we need more levelheadedness around here.

Oh shut up, a lot of us have praised Lou and defended the moves that he's made in the past (including the ones that he made that didn't work out, but still made a lot of sense).  Like I and others have said, if Lou had done NOTHING, we would've been OK with that.  I don't care what other teams are doing...the grass will always be greener if you look hard enough.     

But this one is a REAL tough one to defend.  Yes, there is a chance that this move works out wonderfully and we're all eating crow.  I'll happily load up my plate if that's the case.  But jeez, it's hard to spin this day into being a good one for Lou, and I'm usually one of the fans defending hi

Point is there was nothign to be done today.  Lou coudl have traded the whole fvckin' team and it woudl have made zero difference.  Status quo is fine because the whole vision is gone.  tell me how it is that's defending Lou? 

This.. I'm not ecstatic about the Ruutu move, but I don't think the Devils have the pieces right now for a rental. Our 2nd this year is our top pick this year. It'd be a lot to give up if Vanek heads out in July. Plus I don't know if we have a Collberg type prospect. The Isles may have been looking for Boucher and a 2nd if they had talked with the Devils.

All the Lou hate is hilarious  I love how people are sucking his dick one moment, then ready to divorce him the second he doesn't do exactly what they want.

Is anyone actually looking at the activity today?  It was light and low this year LEAGUE-WIDE.  It's a buyers market, and if you scan any other teams you'll see people saying the exact same thing.  Players weren't getting big returns, so it's no surprise to see that guys we wanted moved (Salvador, Volchenkov) weren't moved.  We also don't have a lot to give up right now, because if we wanted a Moulson or Vanek teams would've no doubt wanted Henrique or Larsson, and people would've really sh!t a brick to see his name mentioned.  

You're missing what most people are saying.  No one is really lamenting not getting Vanek or Moulson, and I think most people would've been OK with nothing at all, because you are right, we don't want to see those prospects traded for rentals.  No one was really looking for big returns for Sal or Volch types either. 

But this move is a hard one to digest, and I usually look for reasons to defend Lou's moves (I can usually at least see and understand his "why"s).  It's really hard to make a case for how this is going to improve the team.  At least now it's been revealed that the Devils aren't on the full hook for Ruutu's salary.  

again, it doesn't matter if ruutu is a 40 goal scorer. the odds are that very strong that he will be nothing more than zubrus, if that, and that is just not something the devils need, at all.

misallocation of resources - this is the lou lamoriello of the last 5 years.

Except when he got Schneider, except when he gave up virtually nothing of value for Kovy (the penalty is another issue), except when he got a useful piece in Poni for nothing, except when he got Zidlicky for not too much, except when he let Clarkson be the Leafs problem and got a pretty useful player in Clowe instead.

I don't love the Rutuu deal, but it isn't a calamity.  The much bigger problem is that Sal and Volchenkov are still here.  But even that isn't so horrible.  As much as it stinks to have Larsson in the minors, at this stage in his career, he is likely not the difference between a playoff spot. 

All the Lou hate is hilarious  I love how people are sucking his dick one moment, then ready to divorce him the second he doesn't do exactly what they want.

Is anyone actually looking at the activity today?  It was light and low this year LEAGUE-WIDE.  It's a buyers market, and if you scan any other teams you'll see people saying the exact same thing.  Players weren't getting big returns, so it's no surprise to see that guys we wanted moved (Salvador, Volchenkov) weren't moved.  We also don't have a lot to give up right now, because if we wanted a Moulson or Vanek teams would've no doubt wanted Henrique or Larsson, and people would've really sh!t a brick to see his name mentioned.  

Admit it you just wanted to write about how everyone sucks lou's dick as if it was clever of funny.  It wasn't.  at least amusing terms like "fellating"  a la ^7^

Hard to defend?  It's ONE fvcking move lol.  Jesus Christ.  I think Ruutu for Loktionov straight up was fair, so I am a little disappointed that we had to throw in a 3rd rounder, but holy sh!t everyone needs to reach far up into their twats and try to untwist those panties.  I don't know how some of you make it through life.

I assume the third rounder (conditional) kicks in only if they don't re-sign him.

If you don't like the trade as a whole, I can understand that.  But if you look specifically at the player we picked up, it's a guy we could really use.  Moulson and Vanek got piss poor returns, but there's also 28 other teams that missed out on those opportunities as well.

Vanek to Montreal in exchange for a 2nd round pick and a prospect- lebrun

You say no doubt would've wanted larsson or Henrique?? What part of that Vanek return says larsson or henrique?

Because that's all we have and there's such a huge drop-off from those types of guys compared to the rest of our roster which is basically littered with 35+ guys and/or 3rd line journeymen.  Is anyone going to be interested in Zubrus?  Or Clowe with a glass head?  Or Brunner who is unproven and injury prone too?   Or Jagr who is a bull this year but can't deny that he's 42.  So yeah, while the Vanek return wasn't a lot, if they were talking to us, those names would have come up.

from Chere twitter: when it was suggested the devils didn't get a goal scorer, lou pointed out ruutu scored 26 goals in 2008-09 and said, "he's a scorer". 

for fvck's sake lou. do you still watch games on a black and white TV?!

i'm very tempted to post lou's cell phone number to you all which i assure you 100% i have.

• Like 2

I'd much rather have Loktionov than Ruutu. He is not what the Devils needed at all.

Lou remembers him from 2009. 

This isn't overreacting. This isn't people begging for a deadline scorer like Vanek or Moulson and being disappointed what they didn't get. It's being disappointed with the make up of the roster for a while now, and not addressing any issues that have been going on for two years now, and actually making them worse. 

You're missing what most people are saying.  No one is really lamenting not getting Vanek or Moulson, and I think most people would've been OK with nothing at all, because you are right, we don't want to see those prospects traded for rentals.  No one was really looking for big returns for Sal or Volch types either. 

But this move is a hard one to digest, and I usually look for reasons to defend Lou's moves (I can usually at least see and understand his "why"s).  It's really hard to make a case for how this is going to improve the team.  At least now it's been revealed that the Devils aren't on the full hook for Ruutu's salary.  

He improves the team because he's physical.  We don't have enough physical forwards.  Also look at the guy who he's replacing.  I like Loktionov a lot.  But Ruutu will chip in more offense, and help more on the forecheck.  He's basically a 40 point player.  Carolina has also taken on some salary as well.

Newbie, you've been here for what, 5 minutes?  I've always been a huge Lou supporter in the past on this board and very rarely criticize him, and admittedly I'm starting to catch my breath again, but I still don't like this move, and quite a few other level-headed posters here don't like it either.     

I've come to realize that after every loss you need to give the board a few hours to get the bitching out of its system. The same can be said now, It's just inevitable. That's not to say that some people can't rationally disagree or be down on the team or particular move, but it's just best to ignore posts that say "zomg Lou need to be fired!"

Welcome to the board, hope you stick around cuz we need more levelheadedness around here.

Haha, yeah I understand.  I like to think I have thick skin (and some have said a thick skull, we're all human lol), so I won't let it scare me away just yet.  Thanks for the welcome.

Collectively, way too much complaining on here, sooo sorry that you guys had your butts hurt by this deadline.  Yeah, a lot of great players were on the move today.  Yeah Lou didn't do very much and doesn't get a very good grade for this deadline at all, BUT Ruutu is still a serviceable scorer, an effective two-way player and he had a good Olympics.  You're all complaining that young guys aren't getting playing time, but with no Loki, that a possible all in on developing Josefson.  I'm confident with Ruutu and happy with the pickup.  However, I do agree that we needed to free up some space on defense.

Except when he got Schneider, except when he gave up virtually nothing of value for Kovy (the penalty is another issue), except when he got a useful piece in Poni for nothing, except when he got Zidlicky for not too much, except when he let Clarkson be the Leafs problem and got a pretty useful player in Clowe instead.

I don't love the Rutuu deal, but it isn't a calamity.  The much bigger problem is that Sal and Volchenkov are still here.  But even that isn't so horrible.  As much as it stinks to have Larsson in the minors, at this stage in his career, he is likely not the difference between a playoff spot. 

Very true.  But it is doubtful anyone would take Volchenkov's contract and there probably wasn't any market for Sal either.  It is very possible that he tried to trade 1 of these guys, but had no takers even for a bag of pucks.  Short of waiving 1 of them and paying a ridiculous amount for them to play in the minors, they are here for the foreseeable future. 

No, he isn't - the use of Brodeur for 30 games versus 10-15 games is, though.  The trouble is that old players used to be too expensive for Lou, and so he would only retain the guys he could.  Now that they aren't, he just doesn't really understand that age isn't just a number.  Ruutu is an okay player but him at $4M for the next 2 years stinks.  It stinks because there will be 5 guys better than Ruutu who are signed for less onerous money going forward.  It stinks because it's one guy ahead of Matteau, who while not looking like a great player by any stretch, needs to be in the NHL in 2015-16 (otherwise he's on waivers).  I just don't think that Loktionov for Ruutu is an upgrade and when you consider the money it's even less of one.  Then you go and you look at how Ruutu's done in his career against NJ - oh really, he's done exceptionally well?  What a surprise.  I HATE seen-him-good moves and the Devils have made a few too many of these lately.