NHL SEASON OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

PeteyNice

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what the worst part is? Everybody's saying they were squabbling over $6.5 million. It was LESS than that. Including bonuses, the NHL offer totaled $44.7 million, while the PA offer, including bonuses, totaled $49 million.

That's $4.3 million. Or less than 10% of either proposal.

I've been staunchly pro-owner this entire time, but the fact Bettman would not accept the PA's last proposal is absolutely ludicrous. And to suggest that every team would spend the max cap when 3/5 of the teams would be under it? FVCK OFF!!!

Sheeps, not that simple. The players 49 could go higher than that for 2 of the six seasons.

I agree that not every team would hit the cap but I think the majority would. I think that other than the 5-6 trouble franchises, the rest would hit the cap.

Sheeps, not that simple.  The players 49 could go higher than that for 2 of the six seasons.

I agree that not every team would hit the cap but I think the majority would.  I think that other than the 5-6 trouble franchises, the rest would hit the cap.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would a team really want to pay 150% in luxury taxes? Maybe, but let them, they'd only be allowed to do it twice.

The last PA deal is fair enough to not cancel the season. Is it ideal? No. But Bettman is thinking wrong - he claims the PA deal will hurt the NHL. But cancelling an entire SEASON will hurt the NHL far more than the PA deal.

Bettman is so clueless, he still doesn't understand the ramifications of what he's done. The guy leading the owners is the same guy that proposed widening the nets and put hockey in Nashville. They're following this clown, at least 8 of them.

The one thing I give Bettman credit for is his understanding that hockey is not one of the four major sports. The players don't understand that. What Bettman doesn't understand is that a cap is a MAXIMUM, not a MINIMUM. First of all, 3/5 of teams would be under it already. Second, teams (like the Devils) have spent incresingly more over the years to keep up with higher payroll teams. Now, if teams can no longer achieve such higher payrolls, teams like the Devils would still be spending in the mid to upper 30's. When the top comes down, so does the middle, and so does the bottom.

I am going on record right now as saying I am done.

I am on the players side but I have had enough with both of them. That they could not bridge a few million dollars to save the season makes me ill. It is a big F U to the fans from both sides. My ire grows listening to Bettman sounding certain that fans will come back. The ego drives me nuts. Just ask Selig what happened in baseball.

I still love hockey. I will continue to follow the Sound Tigers but my days of buying NHL tickets and Center Ice are over. They have shown they don't care about me and I will now show that I do not care about them.

Well, Brooks finally made himself heard.  Lame question:  "Why was there no Board of Governors' meeting?"  Answer:  "We didn't need one."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Will he ask the PA if a vote was held? Methinks not.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.