Hopefully that is the last time Brodeur sees the ice as a Devil

'7'

This is also very well put. I don't think people really understand how stable goaltending has been for this organization the last 20 years. Yeah, Marty's had bad years, but very few and far between. I mean, I remember not long ago people hoping we could snag Varlamov from Washington. Colorado gave up a first for him and he hardly outplayed Giguere, who himself is still living off of one real good playoff run.

Miller, Luongo, and Lunqvist are all guys we've heard about as being among the best the last few years but they are all in their early 30's, have almost no NHL hardware between them, and have all had bad years at different times. My point is a lot of guys can have a good year, or a good 3 or 4 years. But we had a guy give us solid-to-great years nearly every season for about 16 seasons. That people want to take all of that, all the millions he passed on to stay here, and say 'yeah thanks, but screw off because we have Johan Hedberg now' really sucks.

Why? Because he hasn't been a great playoff performer the last few years? Who on this team has been? Or because he's arrogant? Most of the great goalies are. It's the kind of attitude you need to be a goalie. You need an over confidence. It's the same as Clemmensen saying he's glad to be in the league in one sentence and then say he can beat anyone on any given night the next. Like I said before, Glenn Hall was the only real great goalie I can think of off the top of my head who was truly humble, and he had to puke before every game to get the nerves out.

I don't know how people would prefer to be hunting for a new goalie every 2 years and hoping to strike oil. I have all the hope in the world that one of Wedgewood or Kinkaid can be a solid starter for years to come but if either of them are, they are still a few years off. We're gonna have an interesting training camp in 2013 or 2014.

All of this makes sense, but when has Marty had a truly "bad" year? I can think of a few that were "meh"-ish, and clearly in the last two years he's not what he once was, though he has stretches where he approaches what he was. But outright bad? I've been watching Marty from Day 1, and was already in my 20s when he made his debut, and I can't remember any given year where at the end of it, I thought he was bad. The closest I ever came to feeling that way was 2001, where he finished the playoffs with an .897 save% (.870 in the finals...he only faced 146 shots in seven games).

All of this makes sense, but when has Marty had a truly "bad" year? I can think of a few that were "meh"-ish, and clearly in the last two years he's not what he once was, though he has stretches where he approaches what he was. But outright bad? I've been watching Marty from Day 1, and was already in my 20s when he made his debut, and I can't remember any given year where at the end of it, I thought he was bad. The closest I ever came to feeling that way was 2001, where he finished the playoffs with an .897 save% (.870 in the finals...he only faced 146 shots in seven games).

All that comes to mind would be the beginning of last season and the beginning of this one. You're right. I should have said there have been bad ones by Marty's standards, but not many (or no full) bad ones by average league standards.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

All that comes to mind would be the beginning of last season and the beginning of this one. You're right. I should have said there have been bad ones by Marty's standards, but not many (or no full) bad ones by average league standards.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, beginning of last season and this one, but that coincides with end of his ridiculously long prime. Kinda crazy to think that his prime lasted from '93 to '10, if you really stop to think about it. It's only the last two years we've seen a noticable dropoff in his performance, and he's actually recovered to produce solid second halves in both years.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

This, exactly. The man pulled a Wilt Chamberlain. He was so good that they actually had to change the rules just to make him less dominant.

I think you are referring to Lew Alcinder, aka Kareem Abdul-Jabbar when they banned the dunk in college basketball in the late 60's.

I think you are referring to Lew Alcinder, aka Kareem Abdul-Jabbar when they banned the dunk in college basketball in the late 60's.

Wilt is usually given at least partial credit for changing rules on goaltending, free throw shooting, three seconds in the paint, and the size of the lane.

Hey 7, what do you think now after game 4?

Let me help you.

Bottom line is the Devils are a far superior team to florida...if brodeur doesn't suck (as he did 2 days ago) we likely win. We don't ask much of Brodeur. This team is sound defensively and has some offensive punch. If he doesn't let in softies early (like today) and the offense finally pumps some goals past the myth that is Clemmensen...we'll win.

I'm still worried about Marty. He's very jekyll and hyde at this age. Honestly if he lets in some more softies sat night, I won't be shocked.

Edited by ben00rs

You're right. Should won this game with all that offensive support.

People are unbelievable around here.

Devils were buzzing before Marty let that second goal in. Instead of fighting for a chance at tying we are now looking at no chance for a tie.

Marty better retire after this season.

Not to mention they had a good first period, then Marty's clunker early in the second put them on their heels. Of course the rest of the team did nothing after that either.

I guess Tri can tell me the Devils are resilient and this is all luck :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

Can't we go one playoff series without a brodeur gaffe these days?

He killed our momentum and our chances to tie the game.

Absolutely wrong in every way.

He kept us in a game for 2.33 periods against how many PP's?

I'm no Brodeur apologist - but -

People have such short term memories.

I can't believe people are trying to hang this loss on Marty. Marty kept the devils in the whole game. The Devils could muster no offense, got beat to every loose puck, got dominated in the face off circle and got out worked by Florida the whole game....and you want to blame Marty who made countless great saves?? Yes, he made one bad play but he was brilliant the rest of the game. The Panthers controlled the play the whole game and deserved this win....Marty looked like the only Devil who even bothered to show up. Hopefully we get a better effort back in Jersey.

Go Devils!!!

That second goal was horrific. But as much as I want Marty to retire after this year, this loss wasn't on him. What an awful awful effort all around. The defensemen outside of Harrold were mostly atrocious tonight with giving up lots of chances.

Also, puck control and composure near the net outside of Elias was non-existent. Henrique was not good at all tonight. Only forwards who played well were Parise and Elias.

Kovalchuk must have a terrible leg or groin injury because he looks he's 50 years old right now. Also, Clarkson has done virtually nothing this series outside of assisting on the Zajac goal.

The Devils team speed is not up to par and that needs to be addressed. The Panthers are a better hockey team. It hurts, but I've seen it with my eyes now through five games. I think the Panthers will close us out in Game 6.

Yeah well when you guys are rushing to pronounce Marty 'back' after Game 4 it's gonna come back and get you when he isn't back in Game 5.

This isn't about short memories either, the Marty of a few years ago would be able to put more than one good game in a row together in the playoffs (clearly he isn't now), then again the Marty of a few years ago was playing with HOF'ers instead of mongloids like Volchenkov on defense.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The fact that we have to have this conversation at least twice in every single series he's played in for the last 9 years is all you really need to know about his ability to raise his game in the playoffs.

The truth is, he helped put us in a hole in this series with crap goaltending in the first 3 games and he needed to step up and steal a game tonight. Overall he played pretty well but we need him not to whiff on a shot he was in perfect position to save and I don't want to even discuss the second goal because that one makes my blood boil.

I'm sorry but Marty set the tone in this game. Obviously the loss is not entirely his fault but that first goal was BRUTAL. A shot from the bottom of the circle near the boards? Give me a break. That softie brought the whole team down and for some reason this team cannot respond after these type of goals. Then we finally pour on some pressure and Marty leaves the net and gives up a terrible gaffe. Embarrassing.

Start Moose, the team responds to him.

Kovalchuk - Looks hurt

Henrique - No chemistry at all on third line, throw him on first

Sykora - BAD

Bernier - Put him in Sykoras spot, he has been great in this series

Clarkson/Ponikarovsky - Where the hell are you?

Moose - Play him, why not? Why the hell not, he deserves a chance

Parise - Be accountable, make sure the team shows heart

Edited by Zubie#8

I'm sorry but Marty set the tone in this game. Obviously the loss is not entirely his fault but that first goal was BRUTAL. A shot from the bottom of the circle near the boards? Give me a break. That softie brought the whole team down and for some reason this team cannot respond after these type of goals. Then we finally pour on some pressure and Marty leaves the net and gives up a terrible gaffe. Embarrassing.

Start Moose, the team responds to him.

Kovalchuk - Looks hurt

Henrique - No chemistry at all on third line, throw him on first

Sykora - BAD

Bernier - Put him in Sykoras spot, he has been great in this series

Clarkson/Ponikarovsky - Where the hell are you?

Moose - Play him

Parise - Be accountable, make sure the team shows heart

Should I be surprised that Zubrus isnt anywhere on that list...coming from someone whos user name is Zubie#8?