Second Annual Devils / St. Patrick's Day Newark Bar Crawl

DaneykoIsGod

Oh yes, it's about that time. Once again we will be touring some of Newark's finest drinking establishments in celebration of St. Patrick's Day before watching our boys take down the defending Stanley Cup champs.

Last year's crawl was such a wild success and the bars were all so great (and great to us) that there really is no reason to change it up. The crawl will go down, just like last year, in this order:

1. Kilkenny Ale House

2. Nick's In Newark

3. McGovern's Tavern

4. 60 Park Grill

5. The Spot Lounge

6. Scully's Publick House

7. Brick City Bar & Grill

Come one, come all. The more the merrier. A meeting time and place will be set once gameday draws nearer.

Here is the map (I really hope that link works). There is also a Facebook page for it, but I can't link to it now (FB is blocked here at work).

When I get home, I'll update with the FB link and some photos from last year.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here would be my birthday week schedule:

- 17th: Get WASTED on the Bar Crawl

- 19th: Get SMASHED for my birthday

- 20th: Get HAMMERED at the game vs. the Blues (my Platinum Lounge game which means open bar)

A week to never remember :cheers:

Edited by Colin226

Hmm.. 2 days before my 21st birthday.. Do you think they will let it slide if I get ID'ed? I'm thinking I'm gonna go for it and hope for the best..

- 20th: Get HAMMERED at the game vs. the Blues (my Platinum Lounge game which means open bar)

That's a damn fine week you have ahead of you!

Same here. When and where is everyone meeting up?

We'll pin that down when gameday gets closer, but I think last year we ended up meeting at Newark Penn around 1 or 2 p.m. We'll probably end up doing something similar this year too.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, last year we never made it past The Spot. Scully's was completely jammed up and we figured it wasn't even worth it to test the BCB&G crowd. This year the crowd will probably be more reasonable since, you know, Marty won't be breaking some silly record this time around. :evil:

Hmm.. 2 days before my 21st birthday.. Do you think they will let it slide if I get ID'ed? I'm thinking I'm gonna go for it and hope for the best..

I only hope to be as lucky as you when I turn 21, Colin (meaning the only way that'd happen is SCF game 7 at the Rock :P )

i dunno how strict newark area bars are about IDing, but they could get into a ton of trouble if they provide alcohol to underage patrons. if they ID you and you say "but my birthday is in two days!" they probably won't give a sh!t. why risk trouble for a favor to someone they don't even know?

you can still try it of course, but don't be surprised if you don't get very far.

i dunno how strict newark area bars are about IDing, but they could get into a ton of trouble if they provide alcohol to underage patrons. if they ID you and you say "but my birthday is in two days!" they probably won't give a sh!t. why risk trouble for a favor to someone they don't even know?

you can still try it of course, but don't be surprised if you don't get very far.

From my fuzzy memory, I don't think any of the places we hit last year checked IDs. But RD's right, they could get in a ton of trouble if they got caught.

Colin, you were able to bar hop with us on Opening Day without incident, right? IIRC, we did a shot of Jack at Stadium Bar.

From my fuzzy memory, I don't think any of the places we hit last year checked IDs. But RD's right, they could get in a ton of trouble if they got caught.

Colin, you were able to bar hop with us on Opening Day without incident, right? IIRC, we did a shot of Jack.

I've been getting served in Newark all season long.. And yes, DiG I owe you a shot for the one you bought me ;)

I only hope to be as lucky as you when I turn 21, Colin (meaning the only way that'd happen is SCF game 7 at the Rock :P )

Well if you're still in the area I'll buy you a b-day drink when you turn 21 :cheers:

Very true, but not only will they have tons of people trying to buy drinks all afternoon (making it tedious to ID everyone) but they seem to prefer the money.. I'll take my chances

Edited by Colin226

Don't want to sound like the old man party pooper here, but RD is right...heaven forbid something happens and you get into an accident, hurt someone, hurt yourself, whatever...any one of those establishments could lose their liquor license and a hell of a lot more.

I won't lie...when I was 20 going on 21 I would've hoped that they might look the other way too...I actually had a fake ID at 16, though I only used it four times. But with all that could potentially go wrong if they serve someone that's underage, they're out of their minds if they don't card every single person that walks into their establishments.

i'm just speaking from (partial) experience. i haven't been a bartender, but i have worked at a liquor store and we were very strict about IDing. we're located in a college town too (madison) so we had a ton of kids coming in with any excuse under the sun. ESPECIALLY when it was a big drinking holiday, we'd have to be super strict about IDing everyone who appeared under 30.

anyway, yeah, there's no harm in taking your chances of course (unless you get cited by a cop -- they won't care if you're two days or two minutes from 21, they'll tag you for underage drinking either way), but just don't get your hopes up. if you've been to these places before and they didn't ID, good for you haha. just be careful.

i'm just speaking from (partial) experience. i haven't been a bartender, but i have worked at a liquor store and we were very strict about IDing. we're located in a college town too (madison) so we had a ton of kids coming in with any excuse under the sun. ESPECIALLY when it was a big drinking holiday, we'd have to be super strict about IDing everyone who appeared under 30.

anyway, yeah, there's no harm in taking your chances of course (unless you get cited by a cop -- they won't care if you're two days or two minutes from 21, they'll tag you for underage drinking either way), but just don't get your hopes up. if you've been to these places before and they didn't ID, good for you haha. just be careful.

Yeah, I worked at a liquor store too, full-time when I was 19 for the summer, then part-time when school started up in the fall. The worst thing about it was some of my friends thought I could then sell them booze...what they didn't understand was that I was always on camera and in sight of my boss, who obviously would've freaked if I'd sold my pals alcohol. Same thing, in that I had to card anyone who looked like they might not be 21, which was weird considering I was underage myself.

Yeah I definitely will be cautious.. No point in getting a violation 2 days from being 21.. I'll just have to see how it is the day of

Eric, where the hell have you been? haha.. you're starting to sound like you're a parent or something :noclue::P

Edited by Colin226

We're already up to 21 confirmed crawlers according to the FB page, and we still have practically two months to go.

Oh yeah, and it looks like my gang will be in 215 for the game. Same section we were in for St. Pat's last year, coincidentally.

We're already up to 21 confirmed crawlers according to the FB page, and we still have practically two months to go.

It appears that somebody canceled that facebook event. I'm sure that will have no bearing on the actual bar crawl, though it would have been nice to see some of the faces before starting.

It appears that somebody canceled that facebook event. I'm sure that will have no bearing on the actual bar crawl, though it would have been nice to see some of the faces before starting.

Oh jeez, I totally forgot that page even existed. Yeah, my buddy created a FB page for the crawl way back in October and that's the one that got deleted. There's a new one, I'll post the link when I get home.

The FB page for the bar crawl that lastone linked to in the second post of this thread is the one that's still alive and kickin'. Clickity click.