GDT: ECF Game 5 - NJ Devils @ NY Rangers

ZeroGravityFat

I can honestly say that I took it all in stride as the Devils gave up the 3-0 lead. Sure I was worried, sure I thought about a bad outcome, but not so much that I got pissed at the team or scared that they were going to lose. I just kept the faith.

Throughout these playoffs and maybe even including the last two weeks of the regular sdeason, I have found myself taking on Coach DeBoer's mentality behind the bench: try to remain calm, stay focused and keep going. I have placed my trust in PDB to push the right buttons and get the job done.

I'm not saying I know we will win, just that you gotta believe that it could happen, that it's possible.

Marty needs to stop and focus on Game 6. He's not been that impressive at all honestly.

Paulie Positive speaks out again. You'll probably find something to complain about during the parade if we're so lucky to witness one.

I'm still on a high right now after last night's win. With the way this team has played in these playoffs and with how good the fans have been at the games so far, they deserve a chance to finally close a series out at home and get a chance to celebrate with the loudest Devils fans I've heard in quite some time. The Devils deserve that moment, the fans deserve that moment, and The Rock finally deserves one of those moments. Now I just hope they seize the opportunity to make it happen. Can't wait for Friday.

• Like 1

I'm still on a high right now after last night's win. With the way this team has played in these playoffs and with how good the fans have been at the games so far, they deserve a chance to finally close a series out at home and get a chance to celebrate with the loudest Devils fans I've heard in quite some time. The Devils deserve that moment, the fans deserve that moment, and The Rock finally deserves one of those moments. Now I just hope they seize the opportunity to make it happen. Can't wait for Friday.

post of the year right here

Edited by Satans Hockey

Paulie Positive speaks out again. You'll probably find something to complain about during the parade if we're so lucky to witness one.

Just stop. I'm being honest. People on here will tell you the same thing; it's not like I said he's been dreadful or anything. And I already posted on this thread on how a win was a win and I'll take it, so get that pessimistic crap out of here.

He was asked a question in the post-game and answered it well. How is that not focusing

Coulda worded it better. But I just do NOT want a Game 7.

Amen. The Rock was a house of horrors in the postseason since it opened, but the team and fans have completely reversed it this season. The Devils need to come out and get back to the strong forecheck tomorrow night. The fans will be ready and that place will truly be rocking should we pull it off. Can't wait.

Both goaltenders had lousy games last night. Other than that, Brodeur has played equal to Lundqvist. He allowed seven goals through four, Lundqvist allowed six. Sure some of the goals were soft, but so were some on Lundqvist. And you cannot so easily discard the incredible saves that Martys made in this series. I always laugh when he gives up a lame goal and some will post, "oh but we can't get on him for that cause he made a brilliant save ten years ago, right?" No, wrong, you shouldn't get on him because he made a brilliant save about five minutes ago.

Edited by DevilsFanSteve30

Tomorrow night is HUGGGEEE.....

A HUGGEEEE opportunity to get the 94 monkey off our back and be 4 wins away from a 4th Stanley Cup Championship! I expect the Rock to be in an absolute frenzy from warmups on. I hope the HEN-RIKKKK chants don't stop! We are in his head for sure now, and it is time to kill the wounder animal!

LET'S GO DEVILS!!!

• Like 1

Just stop. I'm being honest. People on here will tell you the same thing; it's not like I said he's been dreadful or anything. And I already posted on this thread on how a win was a win and I'll take it, so get that pessimistic crap out of here.

Coulda worded it better. But I just do NOT want a Game 7.

In bold: that's fair

You do have a way of being pretty negative-sounding though.

Just for the hell of it, I compared Marty's playoff numbers to the other extended playoff runs (3rd round or better):

'93-'94 8-9, 1.95 GAA, .928 save%

'94-'95 16-4, 1.67 GAA, .927 save%

'99-'00 16-7, 1.61 GAA, .927 save%

'00-'01 15-10, 2.07 GAA, .897 save%

'02-'03 16-8, 1.65 GAA, .934 save%

'11-'12 11-5, 2.04 GAA, .921 save%

Clearly he's not the goalie he once was, but this year's numbers aren't that far out of line with his previous deep-run numbers. And he was shaky as hell in '00-'01, especially against Colorado (.870 save% for the series).

Both goaltenders had lousy games last night. Other than that, Brodeur has played equal to Lundqvist. He allowed seven goals through four, Lundqvist allowed six. Sure some of the goals were soft, but so were some on Lundqvist. And you cannot so easily discard the incredible saves that Martys made in this series. I always laugh when he gives up a lame goal and some will post, "oh but we can't get on him for that cause he made a brilliant save ten years ago, right?" No, wrong, you shouldn't get on him because he made a brilliant save about five minutes ago.

Yeah, too much attention paid to the "softies" for sure.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Usually brilliant saves are pretty much just that if the outcome is a loss. Also every year he gives up more and more lame goals at awful times. I remember a time when we can expect maybe at most 1-2 lame goals a series out of Marty. Now I go into these games kinda expecting 1-2 lame goals a game, especially against the Rags who seem to just have his number of the years. Kinda easy being pessemistic about things given past history as much as we want to ignore or rationalize it.

However, I will say that OVERALL in this series and in the entire playoffs Marty has been playing very well and has been going toe to toe with the Queen. Just cut me as well as others who tend to be pretty negative some slack when we get pissy at lame goals against these idiots as I think past history against the Rags gives us at least a hint of justification.

Let Marty embrace his inner troll, he's been feisty in the media all series. Whatever you want to say about his play, he wants to stick it to the Rangers as bad as any of us. And that's rare, when a player genuinely cares as much as the fans do...especially a guy of Marty's stature.

• Like 1

In bold: that's fair

You do have a way of being pretty negative-sounding though.

Just for the hell of it, I compared Marty's playoff numbers to the other extended playoff runs (3rd round or better):

'93-'94 8-9, 1.95 GAA, .928 save%

'94-'95 16-4, 1.67 GAA, .927 save%

'99-'00 16-7, 1.61 GAA, .927 save%

'00-'01 15-10, 2.07 GAA, .897 save%

'02-'03 16-8, 1.65 GAA, .934 save%

'11-'12 11-5, 2.04 GAA, .921 save%

Clearly he's not the goalie he once was, but this year's numbers aren't that far out of line with his previous deep-run numbers. And he was shaky as hell in '00-'01, especially against Colorado (.870 save% for the series).

Yeah, he was horrendous in 2001. That team was so good that it almost bailed him out.

Have to account for the fact that save percentages leaguewide have gone up a ton since 93-94 - but yeah, Brodeur so far hasn't been the reason why this series is only 3-2 NJ. He was shaky last night but Lundqvist was shakier.

Usually brilliant saves are pretty much just that if the outcome is a loss. Also every year he gives up more and more lame goals at awful times. I remember a time when we can expect maybe at most 1-2 lame goals a series out of Marty. Now I go into these games kinda expecting 1-2 lame goals a game, especially against the Rags who seem to just have his number of the years. Kinda easy being pessemistic about things given past history as much as we want to ignore or rationalize it.

However, I will say that OVERALL in this series and in the entire playoffs Marty has been playing very well and has been going toe to toe with the Queen. Just cut me as well as others who tend to be pretty negative some slack when we get pissy at lame goals against these idiots as I think past history against the Rags gives us at least a hint of justification.

Yeah, I know that's just your usual demeanor and some people like to vent on here. You're not that bad with it but during the regular season SMT3 was driving me mad with his posts (he has gotten much better about that too) so nowadays I stick away from the thread during play... I'll just post my random musings on twitter during the game and then come back here after the periods and game to discuss. That's why I didn't blow up on the people predicting our demise when they tied it. I can understand that mentality, and you fear the ghosts of playoff's past, but I tried to keep it cool because these guys continue to prove they have another level to them.

It was terrific that Brodeur's teammates picked him up, but I don't feel guilty about being steamed about the third goal. It all came out in the wash, but that was one hell of a stain.

Yeah, I had to hold my head in my hands for quite a while after that one. It's hard to not doubt after something like that. they held it together, though.

Yeah, I know that's just your usual demeanor and some people like to vent on here. You're not that bad with it but during the regular season SMT3 was driving me mad with his posts (he has gotten much better about that too) so nowadays I stick away from the thread during play... I'll just post my random musings on twitter during the game and then come back here after the periods and game to discuss. That's why I didn't blow up on the people predicting our demise when they tied it. I can understand that mentality, and you fear the ghosts of playoff's past, but I tried to keep it cool because these guys continue to prove they have another level to them.

That's the thing. If this was any other team I probably wouldn't be freaking out as much. However the Rags just seem to have the Devils number in the playoffs and I honestly will not be happy until we get that 4th win. The Devils stuck it out and that is certainly something to admire, but once we close this out I will be a world of a lot better.

That's the thing. If this was any other team I probably wouldn't be freaking out as much. However the Rags just seem to have the Devils number in the playoffs and I honestly will not be happy until we get that 4th win. The Devils stuck it out and that is certainly something to admire, but once we close this out I will be a world of a lot better.

Agreed.

We all will be! I have confidence in them. They slayed the beast in Philly, they absorbed the best shot the Rangers have fired upon them, and now have a chance to do something great for themselves and the faithful at the Rock, across the states, and abroad. I hope they're ready.