the $45 hat

abripper339

Haven't seen it mentioned yet, sorry if it has. After the game on Friday, I saw the Devils Den shop open selling the championship gear. Hell yea I wanted to get one of those nice Eastern Conf Champ hats.

I go in and they are charging $45.00 for that hat.. I can understand 30, maybe 35.. but $45 was complete gouging. This on top of the prices for the finals is starting to turn me off a bit. I have been a die hard fan since 1988.

Edited by abripper339

I made a mention of this in the chat room after I got home. I still bought one but it's almost 15 bucks cheaper on the nhl site. The knew everyone was excited and just wanted the merch but I have to agree it was absolutely ridiculous to charge that much. I was caught up in the moment and the excitement that I didn't even care and I just wanted the hat.

The problem is after shipping and tax I'd really only save 4 bucks or so. That's the only reason I'm probably not going to return it, just not worth the time or hassle at this point.

http://shop.nhl.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12896642&ab=CMS_NJD_Bspot_US_ConfChampsLRHat_052512

Edited by Satans Hockey

This is why the 'last' place I'll ever look for any Devils merchandise (aside from a game program) is the Devils Den :lol: Even with my 10% sth discount stuff still gets overpriced about 30% there so it doesn't help that much.

I have to admit though it didn't even occur to me to look for any ECF stuff after the game, I just wanted to A) celebrate with everyone at the arena and B) make it back to the light rail to see my friends there and get the last light rail back to make the 11:50 train home. I'm still not sure I'll get any even now. I have enough Devil t-shirts as it is that I can be more picky, but I do kinda want one so we'll see.

Edited by NJDevs4978

yea i found it on ebay for 25$. some guy had a 100's available at 25$ a pop, free shipping. I am sure i can walk in modells and get it for the same price.

Ya I'm going to stop at a few modells this week when I pass them, if I can get the hat cheaper there then I will definitely return the hat at game 1.

You know I came close to ordering this too.

But I'm waiting.

First off I'd rather have a Stanley Cup Champs hat!

Secondly if they don't win, if I hold out a week or so after the Finals the conference champs stuff will go on clearance anyway.

eastern conference championship gear is the absolute dumbest thing to buy. you can wear it for about a week. if they win, you'll get the cup stuff. if they lose, you don't want to wear "2nd Place' clothing.

and putting a patch on the jersey is, perhaps, getting a little ahead of ourselves for the same reason. do you want that patch on a jersey if they lose?

that being said, i bought a hat and tshirt at the devils den 2 minutes after the players left the ice so don't ask me ;)

eastern conference championship gear is the absolute dumbest thing to buy. you can wear it for about a week. if they win, you'll get the cup stuff. if they lose, you don't want to wear "2nd Place' clothing.

and putting a patch on the jersey is, perhaps, getting a little ahead of ourselves for the same reason. do you want that patch on a jersey if they lose?

that being said, i bought a hat and tshirt at the devils den 2 minutes after the players left the ice so don't ask me ;)

This. The only conference champions thing I ever bought was a 2001 hat at JC Penny for $1.99 in July of 2001 just for the hell of it. If we win the cup, these hats will be about $3.99 in three weeks. Hell, in 2003 the Devils GAVE AWAY our Stanley Cup champion locker room hats at one of our first games of the regular season. I have about 6 of those hats that were never even worn lying around somewhere.

I bought mine, that was the sweetest ECF for us. Beating our biggest rivals like that was something special.

The only non-cup accomplishment t-shirts I have are an EC t-shirt from 2000 that I got at one of the Devils' draft parties for like five bucks a couple years back, and a division champions t-shirt from 2006 I felt compelled to buy after their amazing run back from the abyss. Not much of a hat person either way, have enough giveaway hats over the years I don't wear as it is.

I was drunk and bought it at the Den after the game! Whatever, I'm gladly parting with my money for the benefit of this team, they need it. And they've given me a great year full of great exciting moments. I've spent $45 on way worse more insignificant things so I don't mind this haha.. Pricey yes, worth it no, but whatevers, I'm still in complete excitement for Wednesday's HOME game!!!!

Champions Gear of any sort is a waste of money. It goes out of "fashion" very quickly and will be clearanced within a year, even earlier if the retailer is a big online one (Eastbay, Football Freaks, FansEdge, etc). Conference Champions even more so. I can totally understand buying stuff if you're at the clinching game, but $45 is pretty much highway robbery for a hat. I remember when the Yanks won the series in 09, I had to have the damn shirt they had on the field. I only wear it around the house now. I also have a standard on-field Yankee hat with the 2003 World Series logo on it that I got when I attended a game during that series. That didnt turn out so well and I never wear it lol.

In 1995 I bought the EC Champs shirt because it was the first trip to the Finals..... which lead me to get it for 2000, in 2001 "no one bothered to get the shirts because we were going to win the Cup"....no shirt.....in 2003 I bought it BECAUSE of 2001....you can be damn sure I was at Modells Saturday buying one :)