2013-14 OOT Thread

Daniel

Alexander Steen - has anybody been watching this guy?  I haven't, I am just wondering if he is really that good or he is just going on a run.

Career shooting%:  9.8

This season:  26.7

Best season:  12.7

His start is so hot that he'll probably wind up with 30 goals or so, and he'll probably wind up with a career-high in shots, but a major regression is coming, unless Steen somehow turned into Wayne Gretzky overnight. 

Not you cheif. Someone else said it, reason for my post. There quality backups. Los Angeles feels lucky to have a scrivens in net replacing quick because he is a quality tender.

I never called Scrivens garbage. Emery isn't either, but if the Devils showed just a lick of effort against Philly in that one game, we probably would have won since Philly sucked too.

Scrivens now has a .955 save% in 8 GP. 

Save%s seem like they're up this year...9 out of the top 10 save% in the NHL this season are .931 or better.  Three them of only played 8 or 9 games, but the other nine are have played at least 13 games or more.

Seems like it's getting harder and harder to score goals in the NHL. 

Y'all called scrivens garbage. He isn't garbage and honestly emery isn't either.

scrivens is good i don't think anyone claimed he was garbage but there is a reason he is a backup.

Emery this season has a .898 sv% and a 2.82 gaa. That's about as close to garbage as an NHL goalie gets.

Edited by dmann422

Who cares about being in playoff position roughly a quarter of the way through the season?

At this point, all I really want is to see is the Devils get past this road trip (hopefully with at least two points), then take it from there.  After that, 14 out of the next 23 games games will be at home.  I would love to see them get 30 points in those games.  If the Devils lose all three games of this trip in regulation (hopefully not), that would give them 49 points in 46 GP.  Not great, but they wouldn't have to tear it up to make the playoffs, and still a decent recovery after a 1-5-4 start. 

everyones thinking ahead playoffs this and that point totals here and there..just let the schedule ride out and see what happens... we already know if marty plays the team will atleast score goals if cory plays well.. dont bother wasting your time watching the game because he will be the only one that shows up.

everyones thinking ahead playoffs this and that point totals here and there..just let the schedule ride out and see what happens... we already know if marty plays the team will atleast score goals if cory plays well.. dont bother wasting your time watching the game because he will be the only one that shows up.

In bold, well, duh, of course that's all anyone can do.  But nothing wrong with looking at chunks of the schedule and hoping for this and that.  The nice thing is that the Devils (so far) have done a fair job digging themselves out from a bad start.  One win in ten games (though it looked like three, based on charity points) is a brutal way to start a season, and we had our fair share of "2010-11 all over again" types in full panic mode.  These last 10 games (6-3-1) have at least stabilized the season for now. 

Interesting Metropolitan OOT numbers:

Just like the Devils, the Caps have also won 7 games in regulation, with one more game played.  They've "won" an addition five games in the shootout.  Isles only have 5 regulation wins in 21 GP (3 additional by shootout). 

Devils have scored 42 goals and given up 45 (with phantom shootout goals eliminated).  Rags have scored 42 and allowed 50.  Devils have beaten them twice.  But it seems like Ranger fans think their team is somehow much better than the Devils.  I get the feeling a lot of fans haven't yet realized that the Devils, though not always pretty to watch, have recovered from the one-win-through-10-games start. 

Rangers and Boston tonight...God I hope the Bruins smoke 'em.  Isles and Philly playing tonight too (not against each other).  Screw 'em both.     

Will be interesting to see what happens to the Leafs when the goalies stop saving 94% of the shots coming their way.

Who cares about being in playoff position roughly a quarter of the way through the season?

At this point, all I really want is to see is the Devils get past this road trip (hopefully with at least two points), then take it from there.  After that, 14 out of the next 23 games games will be at home.  I would love to see them get 30 points in those games.  If the Devils lose all three games of this trip in regulation (hopefully not), that would give them 49 points in 46 GP.  Not great, but they wouldn't have to tear it up to make the playoffs, and still a decent recovery after a 1-5-4 start. 

I refuse to even check the standings before almost midway through the season. There's no point when they change daily and teams are all muddled together due to the cream not having risen to the top yet.

I refuse to even check the standings before almost midway through the season. There's no point when they change daily and teams are all muddled together due to the cream not having risen to the top yet.

There's always teams that get off to flying starts (which prompts some to label them unbeatable or SC contenders very early...who could forget how everyone was feeling when the Devils started 8-1-3 last season), and teams that stumble out of the gate.  Fans on either side tend to overreact when that happens.  Like if a good "on paper" team starts off, say, winless in 5 or 6 games, other fans will already start saying "Dammit, that's a team we should beat!" if their team loses to them. 

Yeah, I don't make a big deal out of slow or fast starts...so I don't make a big deal out of standings early on either. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

There's always teams that get off to flying starts (which prompts some to label them unbeatable or SC contenders very early...who could forget how everyone was feeling when the Devils started 8-1-3 last season), and teams that stumble out of the gate.  Fans on either side tend to overreact when that happens.  Like if a good "on paper" team starts off, say, winless in 5 or 6 games, other fans will already start saying "Dammit, that's a team we should beat!" if their team loses to them. 

Yeah, I don't make a big deal out of slow or fast starts...so I don't make a big deal out of standings early on either. 

Like Minn from a couple years back when they were in 1st at the start of December, lol.

The one thing I will say as a positive to the new playoff format is that it allows me to more earnestly root against divisional teams, as we are directly competing with just those 7.

As opposed to the past when youre directly competing with 15 other teams it's hard to decide especially this early in the season who to pull for in eastern conference games. Like there were always situations where I would want the isles to beat the caps or habs because I knew the isles weren't a direct completion for a playoff spot but those other teams were.

Now I can just sit back a root against every division opponent every night. (Unless we get into that crossover spot)