This Red Bulls commercial

Blown01NJ

It will be interesting to see how the Red Bulls handle NYCFC starting play in a few years since that team will actually play and train in NYC.  I am willing to bet the new club will market itself as NY's only true MLS club, and tout their roots and ties to the city and state to draw fans.  

I doubt it. As someone who's involved in a lot of New York City-area construction, I can tell you right now, the chances of them debuting in the league in 2015 (which they maintain as their start date) is slim to none. And the chances of them even playing in New York City limits after all of this is done is pretty slim as well, definitely not happening within the next 5-6 years at least. 

The Flushing Meadows Plan is already losing ground and their next "sure fire" deal is them sharing the grounds with Yankees Stadium, which I think will also be impossible. NYCFC will have deep pockets, considering it's owned by the Yankees and Manchester City, but no amount of money will make the construction process and possibly public funding or rezoning process any less unbearable. 

I'm severely doubting altogether that they'll be playing in New York City at all in the next 5+ years. I just don't see it happening; anyone with an eye toward construction and real estate and development in the city can see that it's really doubtful. I really don't understand why they announced the franchise so early in such haste this year. They trademarked the name of the team in early April and then let out press releases several weeks later!! Such a rush job, but in essence they have no idea what they're doing.

Don't really follow soccer unless it's World Cup time, but just came to post that as a northern nj native, I still consider myself a quasi new-Yorker in the sense that when people ask me where I'm from my stock response is "New Jersey, just outside NYC"

I'm a diehard devils fan because they embrace jersey, but I also support the jets giants and mets because I'm also proud of my NYC ties, even if New Yorkers look down on me as a jersey guy.

To me the worst thing is trying to refute the jersey shore and real housewives stigma every jersey native now gets.

The senators, 49ers, pistons, whoever else, don't play in what can be considered separate sports markets. The only comparable situation is the whole Anaheim/LA thing the angels deal with. And even still, they have kept Anaheim in the name. And furthermore, Anaheim isn't nearly a distinct a place our have as distinct a culture from that of LA than we have from that of new York. I'm not from new York, I have never considered myself a new yorker, so I won't support this team if they choose to locate in the place where I come from and identify elsewhere. That's the biggest disrespect as far as I'm concerned. If they want to market to new York, they can draw their fans from new York

I'd be pissed. The Nets are my least favorite basketball team for the way they shat on Jersey. When you're the NJ team and there is a separate, established New York team, I feel like you should respect your fans. I don't have a problem with the Jets, Giants, Red Bulls, because they're as much New York's teams as ours, so they can/should, at least from a business perspective, represent NY, which is the center of the market. The Devils are Jersey's team.

Probably Flushing Meadows, though there's been some opposition.

As someome who is proud of any team that boldly wears the New Jersey name, I was as dissappointed as anyone that the Nets left New Jersey to go to Brooklyn. When you say the Nets disrespected New Jersey's fans, are you saying it because they moved to New York, or do you feel they had been disrespectful to N.J. before that?

As far as I knew, throughout their tenure in New Jersey, the Nets always promoted the N.J. name -- at least up until they were sold to Bruce Ratner, who always intended to move the team to Brooklyn. The problem with the Nets was that they were grossly mismanaged practically the entire time they resided in N.J., except for that brief period in the early 2000s when Rod Thorn was running the show.

The senators, 49ers, pistons, whoever else, don't play in what can be considered separate sports markets. The only comparable situation is the whole Anaheim/LA thing the angels deal with. And even still, they have kept Anaheim in the name. And furthermore, Anaheim isn't nearly a distinct a place our have as distinct a culture from that of LA than we have from that of new York. I'm not from new York, I have never considered myself a new yorker, so I won't support this team if they choose to locate in the place where I come from and identify elsewhere. That's the biggest disrespect as far as I'm concerned. If they want to market to new York, they can draw their fans from new York

In a nutshell, that's the problem I have with the Red Bulls New York name. It caters to New Yorkers at the expense of New Jerseyans. As I understand it, New Jersey has a pretty rich soccer heritage on the local level. But the Red Bulls have chosen to ignore their potential N.J. fanbase by catering to New Yorkers and New York transplants who reside in Jersey but still cling to their association to New York.

As someome who is proud of any team that boldly wears the New Jersey name, I was as dissappointed as anyone that the Nets left New Jersey to go to Brooklyn. When you say the Nets disrespected New Jersey's fans, are you saying it because they moved to New York, or do you feel they had been disrespectful to N.J. before that?

As far as I knew, throughout their tenure in New Jersey, the Nets always promoted the N.J. name -- at least up until they were sold to Bruce Ratner, who always intended to move the team to Brooklyn. The problem with the Nets was that they were grossly mismanaged practically the entire time they resided in N.J., except for that brief period in the early 2000s when Rod Thorn was running the show.

Before, but only during the Ratner/Prokhorov years. Since that's the current regime, I hate everything and everyone associated with the Nets now. 

I had partial season tickets for RBNY this past year and went to numerous other games not in my package, and will be at every playoff game as well. I don't give a sh!t that Red Bull owns the team. Red Bull is pretty good anyways. Aside from that, every soccer team almost in the world is sponsored by a company. Teams abroad have gambling websites on their jerseys, bread logos, airliners, etc. I live in South Jersey so naturally I would prefer New Jersey in the name, but whatever. The team won the Supporter's Shield and is able to allocate resources from RB to obtain players like Tim Cahill and Thierry Henry. So I can live with that.

Giants and Jets associate with NY just as much as the Red Bulls do as well, why are we not bitching about that? And all of us here that support baseball support NY teams probably since NJ does not have one. It's just the facts of life people. I'd love it if RBNY became RBNJ and NYJ were the NJJ but until it happens, oh well.

PS, Dax lives in NY.

Edited by hurricane1091

I always thought the NY/NJ split was ridiculous. I actually liked it when they simply became MetroStars. Nice and simple and represented the whole area.

Was that an official name change when they dropped the NY/NJ or just something that was talked about?

I ask that because I can remember in the late 70s or early 80s it was thought that the Giants had done the same thing. A lot of people said that they had dropped the New York name and became simply the Giants.

Of course, that was not an official switch. And much later the Giants would eventually go back to embracing their New York heritage by using the ny helmet logo.

But there was a time -- at least for the first 10 years that the team played in New Jersey -- that the New York name was a big issue with some Giants fans in Jersey. Even after they won their first Super Bowl at the end of the 1986 season, there were protests outside the stadium during the team's victory celebration (New York City did not host a parade or celebration) with fans calling them the New Jersey Giants. Both Wellington Mara and (later after Wellington died) John Mara have had to deal with the name question often throughout the Giants' tenure in N.J. If you noticed, after the Giants won their last two Super Bowls, John Mara went out of his way in his celebration speeches to mention the team's New Jersey-based fans, even going so far as having the team hold Super Bowl victory celebrations at Giants/MetLife stadium following the parades in NYC.

I wonder if the Red Bulls would publicly acknowledge and thank their N.J. fans if they ever win the MLS championship.

Edited by 95Crash

Was that an official name change when they dropped the NY/NJ or just something that was talked about?

The team stopped using the NY/NJ name in 1998. I don't know if there was an official paper transaction that was done, but the team referred to themselves simply as MetroStars from 1998-2005.

I'm a casual Giants fan and wasn't aware of the Giants history with their NJ fans in their early days when they moved here. I didn't realize how big of a deal that was to people, I always just assumed the NJ fans embraced them still being NY. Interesting stuff. I do like how Mara, as you mentioned, acknowledged the NJ fans when they won though.

The team stopped using the NY/NJ name in 1998. I don't know if there was an official paper transaction that was done, but the team referred to themselves simply as MetroStars from 1998-2005.

I'm a casual Giants fan and wasn't aware of the Giants history with their NJ fans in their early days when they moved here. I didn't realize how big of a deal that was to people, I always just assumed the NJ fans embraced them still being NY. Interesting stuff. I do like how Mara, as you mentioned, acknowledged the NJ fans when they won though.

It definitely was a big deal to some people for a while there -- local politicians and fans alike. I even have a few New Jersey Giants T-shirts/sweatshirts/pins from back then. After a while, the controversy died down, maybe 10-15 years after the team moved here, and then the controversy briefly picked up again after the team switched back to the ny helmet logo in 2000. But that didn't last long. Today most N.J. fans people are resigned to the fact that they are a New York team, but, like I said, John Mara occasionally goes out of his way to recognize the team's Jersey-based fans.

For whatever reason, the Jets didn't get as much flack from N.J. fans about the name. I think most people assumed they would move back to New York some day. Once they based themselves in Florham Park, however, it was thought they might change the name, but they never did.