Should the New Jersey Devils Consider Going After Alexander Semin?

NewarkDevil5

Definitely think NJ should be interested enough to check the price tag.

With the drop off to 54 pts two seasons in a row, he really shouldn't command 6million per season but I know it's not the real world in the NHL..

I assume he has had to have had some offers since July 1 - which means perhaps no one is offering that 6 mill or at least no where he is interested in going.

If I were NJ GM and Semin was interested in NJ ... I'd start with 5 yr $25 mill offer, with incentives to increase his wallet

Well you got to consider that Ovechkin's and all the other guys production dropped a lot too... so it may be a bigger problem... look at our guys under Maclean... they ALL had their worst season ever.

that being said im not saying that i want Semin at all... but im curious to know what he could do in NJ...

Well you got to consider that Ovechkin's and all the other guys production dropped a lot too... so it may be a bigger problem... look at our guys under Maclean... they ALL had their worst season ever.

Semin and Ovechkin were barely on the same line last season. Semin played with Laich more.

The entire team was not very good last year with all of the Boudreau turmoil and such. There's extenuating circumstances that affected everyone on that team.

I think everyone who is considering Semin or against him need to read this

http://www.fearthefin.com/2012/6/28/3123927/2012-ufa-targets-alexander-semin

He's still driving play at an elite rate 5v5 compared to his teammates (significantly better than he used to, in fact) but since the team as a whole has struggled, that hasn't translated into as many opportunities as Semin was once getting.
Edited by ghdi

Is that todd cordell guy on twitter credible? Hes said about 50 minutes ago that semins agent said they there is no time table for when semin will sign.

Mark Gandler, Alex Semin's agent, would not put a time frame on when his client will sign when I asked him about it today. -- ToddCordell (@ToddCordell)

Is that todd cordell guy on twitter credible? Hes said about 50 minutes ago that semins agent said they there is no time table for when semin will sign.

Mark Gandler, Alex Semin's agent, would not put a time frame on when his client will sign when I asked him about it today. -- ToddCordell (@ToddCordell)

Todd Cordell is a Devils blogger for HockeyBuzz and some other site, but he's one of the more reliable guys . Down Goes Avery (another Devils blogger) also contacted Gandler last night and got a "I cant comment". I see no reason why not to believe either of those guys. It'd be another thing entirely if they were reporting deals done or something like that.

oh wow man, it's like you looked at his stat sheet and decided everything about how good he is. The Caps shifted to a more defensive style the past season. Semin is entering the prime of his career and has the talent to be a 70-80 point player at best. His all around game according to posters in the know is also nothing to just breeze over.

You gotta drop the ridiculous comments about Semin being worth 3 million dollars and basing his play level on point production. That is so inexperienced.

Perhaps last years stats were misleading, I can't argue his +/-. But with all the baggage he brings (Caps gave up on him, teammates have called him out and TSN analysts trashing him) signing him long term (which is what he wants) for $6 million a year is a unneccesary risk. Maybe 3.5 is low balling him and unrealistic, but so is thinking that he is going to be putting up 80 points a year here.

I don't see the demand for him great enough to give him more than $6 million a year. Does he deserve more than Kovy?

Edited by RedArmy8

Todd Cordell is a Devils blogger for HockeyBuzz and some other site, but he's one of the more reliable guys . Down Goes Avery (another Devils blogger) also contacted Gandler last night and got a "I cant comment". I see no reason why not to believe either of those guys. It'd be another thing entirely if they were reporting deals done or something like that.

Yeah i just wish that something would come out. Its very devil like that his camp is being so secretive. At least if we knew the devils werent in on it, we could stop thinking about the possibility of him coming here. Waiting for a player to sign is so excruciating.

Perhaps last years stats were misleading, I can't argue his +/-. But with all the baggage he brings (Caps gave up on him, teammates have called him out and TSN analysts trashing him) signing him long term (which is what he wants) for $6 million a year is a unneccesary risk. Maybe 3.5 is low balling him and unrealistic, but so is thinking that he is going to be putting up 80 points a year here.

I don't see the demand for him great enough to give him more than $6 million a year. Does he deserve more than Kovy?

im pretty sure Lou and Deboer would ask Kovy about Semin before making any move... he played a lot with him and must have heard from Ovechkin about him in the NHL.

Kovy isn't getting 6mm... he's getting 10mm+ until 2018. His contract is illegal now to copy.

Semin doesn't demand 8mm... but I can easily see 6mm... work the cap how you can to lower it if you want to sign him long term. But if you want him for 2 years... give him a straight contract... 2/12, 2/13 deal.

I was thinking of this before- do people think that if the devils get semin they sign sykora for the third line pairing, or do they make a trade with a defensmen to fill that third line spot? right now it seems like a dman needs to be moved.

kovy-zajac-zubrus

elias-henrique-semin

???-josefson-clarkson

carter-gionta-bernier

Salvador-zidlicky

greene-volchenkov

tallinder-fayne

Harrold-larsson

too many dmen as of right now

He has not played here. That's one of the points everyone is trying to make to you. There is no reason to think he'd be a "cancer" here. And the fact you keep bringing up TSN slamming, which came from two dipsh!ts like Maguire and Crawford is ridiculous. Maguire is THE troll of the NHL media. Crawford can't even get an NHL coaching job anymore and is partially responsible for one of the ugliest incidents in NHL history. Its not a respected guy slamming him. Its two people that very few people like or even respect. When Semin was on the ice, the chance of scoring went wayyy up for the Caps. Hockey is more than just points. He's one of the best in the league at driving offensive play, even last year! Read up on Corsi #s and see where Semin ranks.

There is no reason to believe he can't put up 80 points here. Will he? Probably not, but 60 to 70 is not a stretch and he's better than Zach was on the PK. We're also more of a team than the Capitals were. I also find it hard to take the opinion of Matt Bradley, who was a 3rd-4th line grinder who the Caps didn't want to re-sign. Even Boudreau and Hunter have come to Semin's defense.

In the way of salary, I agree, $7M is too much for this guy, but at the same time, a short term deal is a risk worth taking. If this guy can gel with Kovy, we'd have arguably one of the most threatening scoring lines in the entire league, without Zach Parise.

He has not played here. That's one of the points everyone is trying to make to you. There is no reason to think he'd be a "cancer" here. And the fact you keep bringing up TSN slamming, which came from two dipsh!ts like Maguire and Crawford is ridiculous. Maguire is THE troll of the NHL media. Crawford can't even get an NHL coaching job anymore and is partially responsible for one of the ugliest incidents in NHL history. Its not a respected guy slamming him. Its two people that very few people like or even respect. When Semin was on the ice, the chance of scoring went wayyy up for the Caps. Hockey is more than just points. He's one of the best in the league at driving offensive play, even last year! Read up on Corsi #s and see where Semin ranks.

There is no reason to believe he can't put up 80 points here. Will he? Probably not, but 60 to 70 is not a stretch and he's better than Zach was on the PK. We're also more of a team than the Capitals were. I also find it hard to take the opinion of Matt Bradley, who was a 3rd-4th line grinder who the Caps didn't want to re-sign. Even Boudreau and Hunter have come to Semin's defense.

In the way of salary, I agree, $7M is too much for this guy, but at the same time, a short term deal is a risk worth taking. If this guy can gel with Kovy, we'd have arguably one of the most threatening scoring lines in the entire league, without Zach Parise.

Matt Bradley is one of his peers, come on now. When your own teammates who've been in the locker room are saying **** that's a little different than Pierre or Crawford going over the top. It's not like Bradley ripped the whole organization.

And the Caps couldn't even wait till he signed somewhere else till they gave his number away lol, they had enough.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Curious what opinions are...

let's say hypothetically that Semin were an RFA this off-season and went to arbitration. What do you think the arbitrator's decision would be on what Semin's upcoming contract should be??

Matt Bradley is one of his peers, come on now. When your own teammates who've been in the locker room are saying **** that's a little different than Pierre or Crawford going over the top. It's not like Bradley ripped the whole organization.

And the Caps couldn't even wait till he signed somewhere else till they gave his number away lol, they had enough.

Yea I get that, obviously he deserves some of the blame. I just think a lot of whats been said is being blown out of proportion. He's still a good hockey player and can help us.

That said, I don't think we're going to get him, but I would like to see him here. I'm not even sure if we're even going after him.

Curious what opinions are...

let's say hypothetically that Semin were an RFA this off-season and went to arbitration. What do you think the arbitrator's decision would be on what Semin's upcoming contract should be??

I would guess 5-6. A player is almost always going to get more on the open market, but an arbitrator isnt going to make a guy take a huge cut from 6.7.

JoshYohe_Trib

Alex Semin's agent, Mark Gandler: "No question, playing in Pittsburgh would be great. Alex would love to play with either Malkin or Crosby."

That's an agent saying whatever he can to jack his price and the interest of other GMs... Agents are slimy and I can't imagine there being a whole lot of genuine high-priced interest in Semin.

That's an agent saying whatever he can to jack his price and the interest of other GMs... Agents are slimy and I can't imagine there being a whole lot of genuine high-priced interest in Semin.

Crosby tried hard to get his winger... failed... now its time for malkin to get on the phone

• Like 1

Crosby tried hard to get his winger... failed... now its time for malkin to get on the phone

I so hope the rumor of Crosby being mad at Zach is true. Now I hope that Semin spurns the Pens (even if not to us) and the other one gets mad too.

JoshYohe_Trib

Alex Semin's agent, Mark Gandler: "No question, playing in Pittsburgh would be great. Alex would love to play with either Malkin or Crosby."

and then his agent finished by saying, "but both at the same time is just too much."