CLARKSON SIGNS w/TORONTO $36.75M / 7yrs

CaptainRafalski

Wowww. Well I'm not surprised. I don't think any of us are surprised he's testing the FA..

If Toronto overpays him and Clarkson walks, I have no problem with it. If he doesn't want to be a devil, I don't want him on my team

Edited by Onddeck
  • Like 1

Come on... Clarkson drives everyone insane.  He's very endearing but as long as he was offered a contract I think the team did right by him.  NJ Devils are not a better team with him, he is a better player with the Devils.  I actually hope I'm wrong - I hope he's mature and focused enough to make it on his own.  The fact he's probably letting his agent pump him up and make this decision for him tells me a lot about his maturity though.  and it's not good.

well - everyone is saying he loves the leafs.  He struck me as smarter than that, more of a thinker, more ambitious on ice - but the love of tradition is nearly as cute as the love of hockey.  I honestly thought he loved hockey.  Signing with the leafs would indeed say he's ready to call quits on his hockey career.  That means he's done growing - he's tired and he just wants to check out and have no demands to improve.  That's cool.  You know he's at that age - have fun with it.  Devils are not the team for that kind of fun.  I hope hope hope the leafs want him.  Tradition will keep him happy even if he's a loser and stuff. and the leafs are actually pretty compatible with his mind set - they do reflect his character well. 

OK - I got it wrong.  If one of you had said TRADITION instead of merely "Toronto" and "home" then I would have gotten it. 

If he goes anywhere else -- well then he's as vapid as he comes across and his agent won himself a nice payday and hopefully Clarkson is that cleuless.

I love free agency, because you really see a guys character.  It's the only time I see Elias clearly.

Can't say this is coming as any major shock.

Guessing the only way he comes back is if Toronto doesn't offer him a silly contract.  If he gets that kind of deal from Toronto, good for him, no hard feelings, but I think PK kind of nailed with the "Devils are not a better team because of Clarkson, but Clarkson is a better player because of the Devils" comment.  I think the Devils have had their share of misfit toys through the years, that need the Devils more than they realize. 

Rarely has the NHL seen a team with such gaping holes up front as the current NJD. :|

Yeah - and Clarkson would have fixed all that.  SERIOUSLY?  Have you every had someone always in the right place at the right time and STILL screw it up royally?  Besides - this has one of those brillaint return signings all over it - he'll be back in 3 years and we'll all be groaning...  well I'll say Oh how cute - he learned his lesson and now he'll come back and STINK UP THE ICE with his ClARKAROUND.... will Lou EVER LEARN? 

for all we know maybe Lou simply told Clarky to go see what he's worth on the market and to come back to him to see if he could match it or give him another offer. I don't think its officially goodbye "yet". Not saying he'll sign here but i dont think it means that Clarky is gone at this very moment

for all we know maybe Lou simply told Clarky to go see what he's worth on the market and to come back to him to see if he could match it or give him another offer. I don't think its officially goodbye "yet". Not saying he'll sign here but i dont think it means that Clarky is gone at this very moment

I think this comes down to Toronto and the Devils.  I think Lou has a number in mind.  If Toronto's is silly high and far exceeds Lou's, bye bye David. 

Meh, thanks for 30 goal season, see ya later.

Clarkson at a cap hit of 5+ (which I'm sure he'll get from Toronto, at least) would just be stupid.  He doesn't do enough on the ice to warrant that huge contract.

I suspect we'll be hearing "Clarkson" and "buyout" in the same sentence a few seasons from now.

• Like 1

interesting to hear that Marty is trying to convince Clarkson to stay

Have you reached out David Clarkson about re-signing?

“I’m trying to convince him. He’s in Toronto. He’s hanging, waiting it out. He really wants to stay in New Jersey. It’s just a matter of time that they’ll get together and talk numbers. I know he wants to stay for a long period of time. Hopefully they’ll be able to do it because he’s an important guy. He’s a different type of player. You don’t see that every day the way he plays the game. He’s got a lot of value.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/puck-daddy-chats-martin-brodeur-nhl-14-cover-201906181.html

yeah it must help to have your best friend in your team instead of your best friend trying to pry you out of it and sign somewhere else together.

I don't know about anyone else but I didn't know Parise was as close to Suter as he seemed to be when they signed in Minn.

Whatever he is old news.

I don't know about anyone else but I didn't know Parise was as close to Suter as he seemed to be when they signed in Minn.

Whatever he is old news.

not at all. I dont remember hearing anything about it when we played against them, when they were in the US team together. I remember Zach being close with Stafford from Buffalo and Crosby but thats it to my knowledge. Well wtv, fvck him.

wow Clarkson's agent sounds like a douche, well maybe not but that quote is rubbing me the wrong way.

“We indicated we would keep in touch as the process went along, but Lou would have to answer that question,” Morris said of whether they would talk again before Clarkson begins talking to other teams. “We have no need to call him. New Jersey is the one facing life without David, so that’s up to Lou to answer that question.”

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/clarkson_preparing_to_start_fielding_offers_from_other_teams_after_turning_down_devils_offer/

Edited by SterioDesign

Would anyone be happy if the Devils signed another team's free agent that's hard stretched to reach 50 points in a season (really hard stretched), isn't particularly good on the power play, isn't used to kill penalties, is a terrible passer, and has a habit of taking bad penalties...all for top 6 type dollars?  Because that describes David Clarkson.

Let someone else overpay and be saddled with the low returns on a bad contract.   

I think Clarky is a classy guy and I thought he was a loyal guy, but I thought Parise seemed loyal too.  Is it reasonable to think that Minny will chase Clarkson? Or are they in cap trouble? I know they could use a guy like clarky, since they just sent Clutterbuck to NYI.  I think because of how coveted he is on the market right now, that almost makes him worth paying maybe 5.5 to 6 million a year for, granted that is more than what he is really worth.

Would anyone be happy if the Devils signed another team's free agent that's hard stretched to reach 50 points in a season (really hard stretched), isn't particularly good on the power play, isn't used to kill penalties, is a terrible passer, and has a habit of taking bad penalties...all for top 6 type dollars?  Because that describes David Clarkson.

Let someone else overpay and be saddled with the low returns on a bad contract.   

he was so bad that he was our top goal scorer and 5 of his goals were GWG. That tells a lot about our depth and why we should just be happy to see him walk.

i get that he was not the best player in the world but some fans here REALLY sound like they want to convince themselves that he was sh!t. Just like that butthurt girl who just got dump saying "pfff i never really liked him anyway" eventhough they've been together for 5 years.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 2

I think Clarky is a classy guy and I thought he was a loyal guy, but I thought Parise seemed loyal too.  Is it reasonable to think that Minny will chase Clarkson? Or are they in cap trouble? I know they could use a guy like clarky, since they just sent Clutterbuck to NYI.  I think because of how coveted he is on the market right now, that almost makes him worth paying maybe 5.5 to 6 million a year for, granted that is more than what he is really worth.

According to Cap Geek as of this morning the Minnesota Wild have the least amount of cap space in the entire NHL.

Anybody think the Red Wings could possibly target Clarkson?

Im not a fan of an agent who had internal meeting with Lou and even David himself and would still say that... not the best sign.

Pat Morris: "There were no preconceived notions. We thought with the economic peril with New Jersey there might not be an offer."

he was so bad that he was our top goal scorer. That tells a lot about our depth and why we should just be happy to see him walk.

i get that he was not the best player in the world but some fans here REALLY sound like they want to convince themselves that he was sh!t. Just like that butthurt girl who just got dump saying "pfff i never really liked him anyway" eventhough they've been together for 5 years.

Nearly all those goals came during the first quarter of the season, when the Devils were in first place.  Again, David Clarkson is not a top 6 forward, and that's the money he's going to get (maybe even top 3 on some teams).  It's not worth it.  If he took something similar to the Zubrus contract, I'd be perfectly fine with it...but that's not going to happen.