2010-2011 NEW JERSEY NETS Thread

nyrsuck26

Details Here

Nets give up Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, Ben Uzoh, Troy Murphy and four first-round draft picks. Nuggets give up Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Sheldon Williams, Melvin Ely and Renaldo Balkman.

The only trade snag is that Murphy is going elsewhere for more assets, with the question being who gets him.

EDIT: And of note...the last time somethimg similar came about, Billups said he would ask for a buyout/not report to the Nets. Which would make this trade even worse for NJ

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Details Here

Nets give up Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, Ben Uzoh, Troy Murphy and four first-round draft picks. Nuggets give up Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Sheldon Williams, Melvin Ely and Renaldo Balkman.

The only trade snag is that Murphy is going elsewhere for more assets, with the question being who gets him.

EDIT: And of note...the last time somethimg similar came about, Billups said he would ask for a buyout/not report to the Nets. Which would make this trade even worse for NJ

Thanks.

If Melo agrees to the extension, and Billups agrees to play for the Nets, I think this is a very good trade for the Nets. Harris is a good player, and fan favorite, but getting Billups back makes that palatable. Favors is promising but I wouldn't be surprised if he fails to meet his full potential. Four first rounders are difficult to part with, but the Nets only acquired those picks so they could make a trade like this down the line.

Making the playoffs this year would be tough, but I definitely see them in next year, and as a real competitor by time they are in Brooklyn, especially if they can attract some other name players now that they tentatively have Melo.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6144608

Even if the New Jersey Nets do not acquire Carmelo Anthony, they still might pull off a trade with the Denver Nuggets, one that would likely be a sore spot for their cross-river rivals in New York, according to high-ranking league officials.

If the New York Knicks send Danilo Gallinari, Raymond Felton, Wilson Chandler and Timofey Mozgov to Denver for Anthony, the Nets are in discussions to then acquire either Gallinari, Felton or Chandler plus Mozgov for two first-round draft picks.

That deal is obviously contingent upon the Knicks trading all those players to Denver for a package headlined by Anthony and Chauncey Billups.

For people that actually know basketball, what do you think of this potential scenario?

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6144608

For people that actually know basketball, what do you think of this potential scenario?

The Nets biggest need is clearly small forward, so acquiring Galinari or Chandler would be preferable over Felton, who would force Harris to either move to SG or be traded. The trade would be worth it in my opinion. I don't know much about Chandler, but Galinari is very good shooting forward with range well beyond the 3-pt line, has decent moves around the rim, and brings down a good amount of rebounds standing at 6'10". I would be all for giving up two first rounders for him, especially since the Nets still have another this year (I believe?) and first round picks really aren't worth as much in the NBA as opposed to other leagues since only the first few picks traditionally have a real chance at becoming stars. They would almost certainly put some kind of protection on the picks that they trade anyway (assuming they are not already protected anyway).

I tend to think everyone would win in that scenario, depending on the actual Nets trade. By trading Anthony, the Nuggets would be waving the white flag on the season, but they'd get at least 2 first round draft picks, a very efficent and young PG in Felton (and ftr, this is a horrible mistake for the Knicks to trade Felton even if they're getting Billups back), and maybe Favors. If Denver can dump Harrington in the process, they're the clear winners; otherwise it depends on how the Knicks do for the rest of the way. They'd be starting Billups/Fields/Anthony/Turiaf/Amare, which is not a horrid lineup, but they'd need to get random bench-level 4-5 back from Denver to make it happen (and from what reports I've seen, there'd be some beef flying from Denver to NY on that trade proposal.). Nets would come out a clear third place in any scenario that does not involve Anthony coming their way, but at least with this trade idea, they'd get something back. What this means is that the Nets NEED to get a free agent this coming Summer, and with the unsettled labor situation and the potential for Franchise Tags being applied to the NBA, that may not happen.

Looks like Carmelo is finally being traded to the Knicks. From Alan Hahn of Newsday:

http://twitter.com/#!/alanhahn/status/39871204605165568

Source tells Newsday after Knicks-Nuggets talked today, Carmelo Anthony trade expected to be finalized tomorrow.

Now let's see what the package is and if that rumored Net-Nugget trade will happen.

What this means is that the Nets NEED to get a free agent this coming Summer, and with the unsettled labor situation and the potential for Franchise Tags being applied to the NBA, that may not happen.

If last offseason and this Melo fiasco proves one thing, the Nets just aren't getting that player to sign with them, even if half the league becomes UFA.

At least they're trying to make something out of a bad situation with this Plan B but they really need to build from within, at least until Brooklyn becomes a reality and the team becomes somewhat more attractive to UFA's.

If last offseason and this Melo fiasco proves one thing, the Nets just aren't getting that player to sign with them, even if half the league becomes UFA.

At least they're trying to make something out of a bad situation with this Plan B but they really need to build from within, at least until Brooklyn becomes a reality and the team becomes somewhat more attractive to UFA's.

Just like all the other labor negotiations going into play this coming offseason (can you believe the NBA, NFL, and MLB are ALL going through labor talks right now?), it's impossible to say who will sign where, for how much, and how much spending room the Nets will have compared to other teams.

I will say this: if the next labor agreement clamps down hard on salaries and the cap and all that, I promise that someone will take the Nets' money. The problem is who that someone would be, and a lot also depends on what assets they're looking to trade this season (rumor has Devin Harris to Dallas or Portland).

If they don't plan on stocking up on one free agent...and let's be honest, they might not be able to this offseason...then they need to stockpile draft picks. I don't care that this draft is free of "superstar-caliber" players, they need to get a competent 2 or 3, someone who can expand the floor, and, in theory, become a leader at the offensive end. If their thoughts are that they're going to run Favors and Lopez out on the power side of the ball, they could use a veteran bench power player to take some fouls minutes. And they need to decide who their PG of the future is...if they can land Paul or Williams, great, but Harris and Farmar are not lighting the world on fire and they need a fix there.

Gigantic deal for the Nets getting Deron Williams. He might be the best overall PG in the game. What a catch. He isn't a star that you can market heavily, but you can market winning with because he is going to make that team a lot better.

I think it's a great trade for the Nets. However he's a FA after next season. They have 1.5 years to convince him to stay, otherwise they are in trouble and will lose him.

i think this move ends up being better for the Nets since they gave up a lot less. I havent got this excited over the Nets since the days of Petrovic or when they had kenny anderson and derrick coleman haha

Great combination - my favorite NBA team gets my favorite college basketball player. My boy from Illinois is now on the Nets. AWESOME.*

Now about that extension... and getting someone other than Brook Lopez who can put the ball in the basket....

*Note: feelings subject to change once the Nets actually pull out from NJ and head to Brooklyn.

John Hollinger likes the deal, even citing the Nets "got the better player" in comparison to Anthony. However he also cautions that this is a bit of a roll of the dice, and the Nets have to hope he signs with them long-term....

Ultimately it comes down to one thing: Whether this is where Williams wants to be for the long haul. If it is, then this will be a huge coup for the Nets, especially vis-à-vis their looming crosstown rivalry with the Knicks -- within hours of the Knicks' getting Anthony, New Jersey got a better player for less.

But if Williams remains unhappy with this trade, the house of cards begins to collapse. For the next season and a half, Williams is looking at playing before slim crowds on a 30-win team in Newark, N.J., for a coach that isn't exactly Mr. Beloved. Big-market team or not, he may not have the patience to see the Nets project all the way through to Brooklyn.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=WilliamsNets-110223

• 3 weeks later...