BRING ON THE SENATORS

HellOnICE

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dagwood....pleased to meet a fellow Sens fan that can put together a coherent argument. I liked your appraisal of the Sens. I very much agree on the Redden point.

I was very surprised to see the Sens keep the momentum going all the way through Game 5, especially in the 3rd period. I am hoping they can keep it going some more. A little nervous with the week-long lay-off, but that is outta their hands.

I an so hopped-up with anticipation of this round. I hope it is a good series.

It was a struggle in some of the games, but not the whole series. It only went six games. If it went to seven games then it was a struggle in this series for the Devils. Devils did what they do best the last two games to win this series and the OT game. It was a tough series and it only gets tougher from here on in.

Some really need to think POSITIVE when it comes to Round 2. Too much NEGATIVITY here in Round 1 and thinking onto Round 2. Just tired of the negativity here from Devils fans.

While I agree with the sentiment below, total blind optomism isn't the way to go either.

Sugar Ray Emery (I saw that moniker on CBC and I like it hehe) is miles better than Holmqvist, don't kid yourself. Obviously no goaltender in the playoffs is going to be able to trump Marty's resume in goal but if the series was decided on that alone we would not have lost to so many inferior goalies in the playoffs :P

Ottawa's team is better than the Devils team, their defense during the regular season was more consistent and their offense is obviously better. Does that mean the Devils can't win, of course not. Does that mean the Devils have to be 'lucky' to win, no! The Devils can win if Marty continues to play well, the defense continues its improvement and the offense is more consistent - scoring from both lines at the same time. Before I get the 'that's a lot of ifs comment' sure, we have ifs. They have ifs too. Maybe not as many as us but they have ifs.

The games are played on the ice so I'm not going to get into predictions...but I'd be stunned if this was less than a six-game series (either way).

FWIW, it's not fair to say the Tampa series wasn't a struggle. Not when the Devils were basically one goal away from losing the series. It's not as if we blew them out of the water in the last two games either, the fifth game was 2-0 till the empty-netter and Game 6 wasn't over till the horn sounded.

Edited by Hasan4978

:boogie::fight: Bring it on douchebags! :boogie::fight:

Just registered on this board! I have no idea why I didn't do it earlier! This site looks great! :)

Now let's beat those Sens!!

GO DEVILS!!

hi buddy welcome.

you know if they'll be showing game 1 over here?

edit:

Member No.: 1,814... :ph34r: damn! are there that many members!?!

Edited by Swede

Time for this old dog to wade in on the conversation.

Congrats on beating the Bolts!!! And a big hello to the old time Members on this board. I'm back ;)

Now on to business. I posted the same sort of message on Devils_Rules so some of you may have seen it already....

Here's what we all know....

The regular season finished with Ottawa getting 1 Win "early in the season" then 3 loses. The last game was won by Shootout when Madden shot about 6th in the order so we know the Sens/Devils match up great towards the end of the season.

In our last playoff meeting, Ottawa Lost in 7 games. Four Games were 1 goal games and two of those went into OT. Friggen Friesen :angry: "glad he is gone"

Jersey has 9 returning players from that series - Ottawa has 8

Gone from Devils Since 2002/03 series:

Friesen, Niedermayer, Nieuwendyk, Marshall, Stevens, Rheaume, Albelin, Bicek, Tverdovsky, Daneyko,

McKenzie, Stevenson and Smehlik. Although I think one of the above is in the Minors now?

In: Clemmensen, Green, Martin, Parise, Rasmussen, Dowd, Rupp, Zajac, Lukowich, Matvichuk, Oduya, Janssen and Clarkson.

-------------------------------------------

Gone from Sens since 2002/03 Series:

Lalime, Hossa, Bonk, Arvedson, Havalat, Rachunek, T.White, Van Allen, Varada, Smolinsky, Chara and

Leschyshyn

In: Emery, Schubert, Corvo, Meszaros, Heatley, Vermette, Kelly, McAmmond, Priessing, Saprykin, Comrie,

Nyckolat, McGrattan, Eaves. You might as well add Spezza since we had to beg J. Martins to play him back

then. Spezz scored on his first shift.

Some very noticible differences in both our lineups since O3.

Both our teams are good so I expect this series to go at least 6. The key for the Sens this round will be for them to maintain the hard physical hitting and to finish their checks on each shift. They did that very well against the Pens and it set the tone for that series. What surprised us all was they maintained it in all 5 games and did not relent at all. Second, If the Sens can establish a good strong forcheck and get the cycle going, we'll get lots of rubber towards Marty. The Bolts had some success with that, but we have 3 lines that can do it effectively. We have 6 D-man we can roll very efficiently starting with Volchenkov and Phillips, Redden and Meszaros and then Priessing and Corvo. When we get in penalty trouble back there, Schubert can move from wing to defense without missing a beat so that helps beef up our back end. Alfie, Heatley and Spezza have been on the top line but Alfie often moves back to the 2nd line to spread out the scoring. In round 1 vs the Pens, we got scoring from everywhere. I think 11 guys total scored in that series in just 5 games so that helps and I certainly hope that continues in this series. Lastly, Keep friggen Redden off the ice if the game is to be decided with 30 seconds or less left on the clock.

Yes the Pens are not the Devils, Likewise the Sens are not the Bolts. Season stats are not a true measurement of how things will go and that is exactly what the Pens thought as well. They won the Series 4 - 0 in the Reg season so that's that.

Otherwise...I hope we can get this going before Thursday...I'm excited for the rematch and look forward to a very different outcome. Sens in 6

Sens ousted Jersey from the Playoffs in the 90's, then Jersey got revenge in 2002/03. As for 2006/07...we shall see.

Dagwood.... excellent post... I think I'll keep this one as the model for how other teams fans are suppose to post.

Good Luck to you guys.....

...well not too much luck.

Thanks dude!

I don't know yet, but I'm pretty sure this game will be on Canal+ on Thursday...if not, then there's always my2p2.com.

Are you ever over at svenskafans.com?

ok, sounds good.

nah, never been, do they have a NHL forum? (that isn't totaly swedishplayerfocused ala aftonbladet)

ok, sounds good.

nah, never been, do they have a NHL forum? (that isn't totaly swedishplayerfocused ala aftonbladet)

Yeah, they do. It might not be the most advanced and high-tech forum, but still a good forum where Swedish NHL fans come to talk. I'm the Devils writer/blogger on that site btw, come check it out! ;)

No...the Sens have 2x Prongers in Volchenkov & Phillips. They will effectively shut down the EGG line. The Preissing/Corvo and Redden/Meszaros tandem will take care of the rest of the NJ forward lines. The Devils were amongst the worst offense's in the NHL. The NJ forwards, don't scare me at all. The Devils will go as far as Brodeur will take them. This series will come down to goaltending,special teams and who is the more physical team. I'm picking the Sens to come out on top in all 3. Sens in 5, if Brodeur plays like he did in the 1st round. Sens in 7 if Brodeur stands on head. Devils in 7 if Brodeur stands on his head and Gerber is in nets.

Go Sens Go!!!

I knew what it meant. I was just being facetious. :rofl:

Emery hurt his hand.... my guess by his stick check and hand in the pocket worse than he is letting on. He is also shakable.

Ottawa not starting at home is an advantage to ottawa as thier fans are just a bit expectant...... too much pressure.

If the Devils take the 1st 2 games it will be hell in ottawa for the sens and I can see Devs in 5.

Emery hurt his hand.... my guess by his stick check and hand in the pocket worse than he is letting on. He is also shakable.

Ottawa not starting at home is an advantage to ottawa as thier fans are just a bit expectant...... too much pressure.

If the Devils take the 1st 2 games it will be hell in ottawa for the sens and I can see Devs in 5.

Emery has played with an injured hand since December. I suspect he took a stinger on the same arm/hand in practice yesterday...or it's a ploy to try and get Jersey to attack from the glove side instead of from the blocker side (Gionta ?). Who knows...but I wouldn't put much stake in it except to say "the games begin"

Ottawa starting on the Road is excellent for us. The Sens have a very respectful record on the road, which is countered by Jerseys good home record. The Sens will start slow in game 1....7 days off is just way to long, but If the Sens can hold the Devils to at least 1 goal heading into the 2nd period, they will get their legs back and then start to take over puck possesion. I hope the Sens come out Flying and hit everything in site...but like I said...It's more probable they will come out flat and then start to ramp things up as the game progresses. A Devil win in game 1 is probably a very good bet.

Wow, talk about battle of the turds. I hate both teams, but I hate the Senators more. Time to watch some boring hockey !!

I think you have this series mixed up with Anaheim and Vancouver :P