GDT: Toronto Maple Leafs @ New Jersey Devils

Quinn01

if any skilled demon is listening, here's my offer...

im ready to give away my mom so Zajac and Josefson can be healthy and so Larsson can have like 5 seasons experience under his belt... for tomorrow and the rest of the season

*** i'd be willing to throw my sister in if Zach can be resigned long-term

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tedenby to Phoenix for Turris. Obviously other stuff needs to be included, but Phoenix made a quality player out of Petr Prucha for a few seasons, Tedenby could do that for them. Turris needs a clean start, if he doesn't hack it with NJ, he just can't hack it in the NHL.

Love Tedenby as an individual, and his effort along the boards. But he's not doing all that much for the team right now. Part of it is the linemates he has, too. He's good on the cycle, but he still can't hold the puck when he gets pressured... hasn't solidified that part of his game like Gionta did early on.

If he can bring back a guy like Turris or Gagner, even if it is a bit of a hail mary, I'm okay with it. He's starting to remind me of Bergfors. That said, it's clear he's a big hit in the locker room... it'd certainly shake things up, but would it further stifle a room that's probably already feeling pressured?

they do love tedenby and i'm pretty sure they're disappointed, but not pressured...yet.

if any skilled demon is listening, here's my offer...

im ready to give away my mom so Zajac and Josefson can be healthy and so Larsson can have like 5 seasons experience under his belt... for tomorrow and the rest of the season

*** i'd be willing to throw my sister in if Zach can be resigned long-term

ill throw in mine too.. good stuff

:cheers:

Arrgh...the downturn I and others thought was coming after the smoke-and-mirrors 3-1-1 start is here. Now 4-5-1 with two regulation wins. I said it before, but with this team's current makeup and talent level, if the can stay around .500 before Zajac comes back I'm happily taking it.

Kovy now up (or down) to a team-worst -7 and still looking brain-damaged far too often...no shock there. Tri will fire back with "How long do you expect him to keep shooting at a 5.3% clip?" Yes, he will likely start finding the back of the net more often, but I'm through kidding myself that he'll ever be much better, in terms of overall hockey sense, than he is right now.

I've always been a Marty defender, as I think his body of work tends to be underappreciated by some, but last night was the first time I actually felt sadness watching him play. I can't pull the plug on him based on one bad game, but if this really is the beginning of the end (Who knows at his age? Without more games no one can say.), I hope he realizes it, and calls it a career sooner than later. There's nothing worse than seeing a former great trying to hang on with a diminished skill set.

Hoping for a surprise against the Flyers tonight.

Arrgh...the downturn I and others thought was coming after the smoke-and-mirrors 3-1-1 start is here. Now 4-5-1 with two regulation wins. I said it before, but with this team's current makeup and talent level, if the can stay around .500 before Zajac comes back I'm happily taking it.

Kovy now up (or down) to a team-worst -7 and still looking brain-damaged far too often...no shock there. Tri will fire back with "How long do you expect him to keep shooting at a 5.3% clip?" Yes, he will likely start finding the back of the net more often, but I'm through kidding myself that he'll ever be much better, in terms of overall hockey sense, than he is right now.

I've always been a Marty defender, as I think his body of work tends to be underappreciated by some, but last night was the first time I actually felt sadness watching him play. I can't pull the plug on him based on one bad game, but if this really is the beginning of the end (Who knows at his age? Without more games no one can say.), I hope he realizes it, and calls it a career sooner than later. There's nothing worse than seeing a former great trying to hang on with a diminished skill set.

Yeah, but even I didn't think the fall would be this quick or this stern. It's now to the point where if they don't beat Winnipeg and Carolina (or one and surprise against Philly) this season could spiral out of control very quickly with the big road trip right after.

As far as Kovy...this RW experiment needs to die, now. It just gives him another excuse to go in the tank. He was bad even strength and on the power play, you think when you have three one-timers from the faceoff dot, the goalie isn't going to be ready by the FOURTH one?! Not that Zach is producing either (and that's another experiment that needs to die, he's not an NHL C, but he's a star at LW), but still.

Unfortunately in hockey, you can't send a guy on rehab the way you do in baseball. At least not a star player...cause Marty sure looked like he at least needs a game or three to get back in top form. What a switch from three years ago from when he came out firing after his bicep injury.

I really wondered if that was you!

What the hell actually happened, if you can share?

I don't even know. I noticed the fight from the fists swinging and the leaf fan beating the sh!t out of the devils fan. When I was bringing the devils fans up everyone was saying the leaf fan threw the first punch. When I brought the leaf fans up a devils fan came and said the devils fans started it. I just got done kicking the devils fans out from the fire lounge for trying to sneak over and knew they were really drunk already. The leaf fans told me the kids walked by and started talking sh!t and smacked him in the face. Somehow the devils fan slipped away from security, I think that's why the leaf fans were allowed to stay. But I really don't know why, my involvement ended after bringing them to security aand telling them what happened.

I found this exchange between Cangialosi and Chico particularly puzzling...

CHICO: "Has anybody ever actually seen an omelet before?"

CANGIALOSI: "Sure! I made one just this morning...with ham and cheese."

CHICO: "You can make them with cheese???"

Again, our style of play is not conducive to scoring goals.. This perimeter crap is just not producing, and even when guys do shoot to get it on net they are shooting right into defenders.. You have got to get the puck to the net and have guys crashing.. You're trying to score goals by taking shots from the circle and beyond with a NHL goalie in net who isn't screened.. Hmmmm yeah that'll work!!

Oh but look.. Zubrus skates in hard, sends the puck at the net, Henrique gets a scoring chance, and Zubrus puts home his rebound.. Surprise surprise.. A typical Devils play on that would have been to either just dump and chase, or peel off and setup the perimeter..

This team needs a style change

Also, can we please change how we bring the puck into the zone?! It's pathetic! Tonight, watch how the Flyers do it.. The Devils look lethargic and dumb 90% of the time, but the Flyers are really good and bringing the puck in.. I can't stand seeing us just skate in and then give up the puck

Edited by Colin226

Also, can we please change how we bring the puck into the zone?! It's pathetic! Tonight, watch how the Flyers do it.. The Devils look lethargic and dumb 90% of the time, but the Flyers are really good and bringing the puck in.. I can't stand seeing us just skate in and then give up the puck

Just give it up and announce that you've retired your Devils jersey AND your genitals to become a Flyers fan for your girlfriend... it's not even like you're hiding it well anymore!

Just give it up and announce that you've retired your Devils jersey AND your genitals to become a Flyers fan for your girlfriend... it's not even like you're hiding it well anymore!

lol it's called envy. The Flyers have actual puck-moving defensemen and we don't. That's why they get the puck in the zone and we don't.

I thought we did fine for the first two periods. Third I didn't watch but apparently it was dump and chase ad nauseum.

I said it before, but with this team's current makeup and talent level, if the can stay around .500 before Zajac comes back I'm happily taking it.

Even when Zajac comes back, this team has problems IMO. They don't work hard enough or effective enough as a unit. They don't inspire me at all. You want to talk about vanilla ... this team is as vanilla as vanilla can be. Hard to get into this team.

I found this exchange between Cangialosi and Chico particularly puzzling...

CHICO: "Has anybody ever actually seen an omelet before?"

CANGIALOSI: "Sure! I made one just this morning...with ham and cheese."

CHICO: "You can make them with cheese???"

LOL

Again, our style of play is not conducive to scoring goals.. This perimeter crap is just not producing, and even when guys do shoot to get it on net they are shooting right into defenders.. You have got to get the puck to the net and have guys crashing.. You're trying to score goals by taking shots from the circle and beyond with a NHL goalie in net who isn't screened.. Hmmmm yeah that'll work!!

Agreed...and you just described the only style our highest paid player knows how to play.

Edited by devlman

NJ had a ton of scoring chances last night despite not generating many shots. It's like Colin watched the opposite game from what I did.

Hint: A good portion of shots will come from outside and/or above the circles.

Hint: Scoring chances in the boxscore dont always mean genuine scoring chances. Most of the 'chances' they had were, like Colin said, from the top of the circle with the goalie getting a clean look. The team didnt really look a genuine threat offensively.

They had chances to score but the point is they should have had even more chances, and better ones at that, too.

NJ had a ton of scoring chances last night despite not generating many shots. It's like Colin watched the opposite game from what I did.

Hint: A good portion of shots will come from outside and/or above the circles.

Exactly

How many of Kovy's good shots on goal were kicked out horrendously by Gustavsson only to have NO ONE anywhere near to put home the rebound?

I swear to god it was freaking aggravating as hell to watch him FINALLY connect on one-timers on the PP only to see no one there for the deposit. Watch that first power play again, he takes 3 one timed shots on net, 2 make it to the keeper, Steckel blocked the other into the corner. one rebound made it right to the high slot, but no one was anywhere near it. Should not happen on a PP.

Hint: Scoring chances in the boxscore dont always mean genuine scoring chances. Most of the 'chances' they had were, like Colin said, from the top of the circle with the goalie getting a clean look. The team didnt really look a genuine threat offensively.

They had chances to score but the point is they should have had even more chances, and better ones at that, too.

No question, that slow-dump-and-chase they went to in the 3rd was them throwing in the towel. First 2 periods they brought the attack to Toronto. I also felt like they stopped going high on Gustavsson where they were having a ton of success. Even during warmups, it was like every shot high on him went in.

no. you are thinking of kovalchuk one timers on the point, which i agree, weren't great chances. you are not thinking of sykora's breakaway, palmieri's shot off the fluky bounce, sykora's great drag move and wrist shot close in, the multitude of 2 on 1s and 3 on 2s NJ had. NJ got a ton of scoring chances for the few shots they did manage.

no. you are thinking of kovalchuk one timers on the point, which i agree, weren't great chances. you are not thinking of sykora's breakaway, palmieri's shot off the fluky bounce, sykora's great drag move and wrist shot close in, the multitude of 2 on 1s and 3 on 2s NJ had. NJ got a ton of scoring chances for the few shots they did manage.

I am thinking of those, as well. You are thinking that Palmieri's fluke shot off the fluke bounce, and Sykora's drag move wrist shot constitute a high offensive set of chances. They do not. We didnt have a an abnormal amount of clear-cut 2 on 1's either. You also cant say well we were great offensively, and then follow it up with 'for the few shots they did manage'. If we generated a small number of shots then we werent that great offensively.

Again, the point is that not enough chances were created. Most of the board's frustration is also that even the Sykora/Palms chances were due to Toronto's mistakes and not from the Devils imposing their offensive presence/pressure on the game, either.

I am thinking of those, as well. You are thinking that Palmieri's fluke shot off the fluke bounce, and Sykora's drag move wrist shot constitute a high offensive set of chances. They do not. We didnt have a an abnormal amount of clear-cut 2 on 1's either. You also cant say well we were great offensively, and then follow it up with 'for the few shots they did manage'. If we generated a small number of shots then we werent that great offensively.

I don't think the Devils played great offensively last night. They were especially horrible in the third period. But in the first two periods, they got a huge number of chances off the rush. The Devils had two breakaways in one game, when is the last time you saw that? I wouldn't be surprised if that's the first time that happened all year. The Devils had at least 2 2 on 1s. In the third, the Leafs stopped taking chances and NJ couldn't generate any zone pressure.

My point is that the Devils chance to shot ratio last night was much higher than it typically is. Which is why Colin's point doesn't make any sense to me - the Devils weren't shooting from distance last night.

Again, the point is that not enough chances were created. Most of the board's frustration is also that even the Sykora/Palms chances were due to Toronto's mistakes and not from the Devils imposing their offensive presence/pressure on the game, either.

Most offensive chances are going to be because of opponents' mistakes. The key is forcing them into those mistakes.

Most offensive chances are going to be because of opponents' mistakes. The key is forcing them into those mistakes.

Which we did not do enough of. Even if you say our chances to shots ratio was high that doesnt mean much if we didnt have alot of shots. Fans want offensive chances coming from sustained pressure puck movement.

Edited by devlman