Andy Greene appreciation thread

roomtemp

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Leading the team in TOI/GP at 25:01. Next highest on the team is Zidlicky at 22:30.
- Leads the team in EV TOI/GP (19:18) and 2nd in SH TOI/GP (3:19) min. 10 GP+.
- 2nd amongst Devils D in points with 6.
- 5v5: 55% Corsi For% (6th on team, 2nd highest for D) min. 10 GP+.
- 5v5: 53.1% Fenwick For% (7th on team, 3rd highest for D) min. 10 GP+.
- EV: Toughest Zone Start for any Devils D with a 49.3% O/DSt%.
- EV: Least amount of offensive zone starts for Devils D at 30.7% and greatest amount of defensive zone starts at 31.5%.

Tends to play against the other team's best on top of all that. Been an absolute rock for the Devils this year. Great job.

Greene has always been that guy who has spectacular years, and then years where he's not so spectular.

Thankfully though, he's been an absolute rock these past two years.  Love what he brings to the D.

What a play he made on the first goal last night, wow.  Crazy ups, then stickhandles and slides a pass on the tape to Carter.  So good.

Andy Greene has really won me over the past few years. I wasn't a big fan when he first came on board, but he's truly impressed me since. He does all the little things right and for a VERY reasonable salary.

I expect Larsson to progress to Greene's level, hopefully beyond. I hope the people down on him remember when Greene was young.

Funny...you think of him as a guy who's played 200 NHL games, maybe 250, but just like that, he's been here for seven seasons and 413 NHL games.  One of those guys you rarely notice until he's not in the lineup. 

Funny...you think of him as a guy who's played 200 NHL games, maybe 250, but just like that, he's been here for seven seasons and 413 NHL games.  One of those guys you rarely notice until he's not in the lineup. 

Yep. I think the reason people got down on him at times was after he had that big year replacing Martin while he was out with that arm injury that lasted way too long. People say nearly 40 points out of him and thought he could be a more offensive d-man. At least that's what I thought and I was disappointed in him after that, but since, he's shown how well he can play whether he's putting up points or not.

Yep. I think the reason people got down on him at times was after he had that big year replacing Martin while he was out with that arm injury that lasted way too long. People say nearly 40 points out of him and thought he could be a more offensive d-man. At least that's what I thought and I was disappointed in him after that, but since, he's shown how well he can play whether he's putting up points or not.

I think people still have vivid memories of Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Ken Daneyko and Brian Rafalski as well, which it makes it harder to appreciate what the defensemen that the Devils do have bring.  It's taken the Devil fanbase a long time to let go of the Fab Four, especially since they're all still so visible (Niedermayer winning a Cup with the Ducks, going to the HHOF and getting his number retired, Stevens doing the same and working behind the Devils' bench, Daneyko getting his number retired and being on TV).  Let's face it, probably unfairly, defensemen playing for the Devils have a lot to live up to, and that foursome was just ridiculously good (and as the years go on, they become more and more infallible in fans' memories). 

I think people still have vivid memories of Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Ken Daneyko and Brian Rafalski as well, which it makes it harder to appreciate what the defensemen that the Devils do have bring.  It's taken the Devil fanbase a long time to let go of the Fab Four, especially since they're all still so visible (Niedermayer winning a Cup with the Ducks, going to the HHOF and getting his number retired, Stevens doing the same and working behind the Devils' bench, Daneyko getting his number retired and being on TV).  Let's face it, probably unfairly, defensemen playing for the Devils have a lot to live up to, and that foursome was just ridiculously good (and as the years go on, they become more and more infallible in fans' memories). 

Definitely a big part of it. Ever since we lost Stevens, then Rafalski, Nieds. We haven't really had a top pairing, clear cut, #1 d-man. And since Martin and sort of Oduya left/was traded, we haven't had much of anything in the form of offense from the blueline. Zidlicky has been the best thing we've had in that department since then.

Definitely a big part of it. Ever since we lost Stevens, then Rafalski, Nieds. We haven't really had a top pairing, clear cut, #1 d-man. And since Martin and sort of Oduya left/was traded, we haven't had much of anything in the form of offense from the blueline. Zidlicky has been the best thing we've had in that department since then.

you don't remember that offensive dynamo that was kurtis foster?!?!

you don't remember that offensive dynamo that was kurtis foster?!?!

No one will ever forget. When do you think we retire his number?

The only thing I remember about Foster was how happy we all were when he was moved.

That was pretty damn good trade. Foster, Napalm, some ahler and a 2nd for Zid. Only thing of value was the 2nd rd pick.

Edited by ATLL765