Season: 18 GP 2-6-8 +2 21 PIM

World Junior A Challenge

Canada West defeated Russia 4-3 (OT)

Alex Kerfoot LW: 2 Assists (Both PP) - No idea what his +/- was

WJAC: 2 GP 2-3-5 0 PIM

Friday 11/9

QMJHL

Blainville-Boisbriand defeated Moncton 9-4

Stefan Matteau LW: Goal, Assist, +2, 4 PIM (Holding, Slashing), 4 Shots, 3/7 Faceoffs

OHL

Sarnia defeated Guelph 4-2

Reid Boucher LW: Goal (EN/PP), Assist, E, Missed Penalty Shot

Windsor lost to Plymouth 5-3

Ben Johnson LW: -1

Kitchener defeated Sault Ste. Marie 3-1

Ben Thomson LW: Goal, Assist (PP), +1, 4 PIM (Roughing Double Minor)

WHL

Kelowna defeated Red Deer 8-1

Damon Severson D: +2, 7 PIM (Slashing, Fighting)

2012 World Junior A Challenge Semifinals

Canada West defeated Canada East 1-0

Alex Kerfoot LW: 4 PIM (Interference, Slashing)

Canada West will play USA for Gold on Sunday.

NCAA

Michigan defeated Michigan State 5-1

Jon Merrill D: DNP (Cracked Vertebrae)

Minnesota defeated Alaska-Anchorage 4-0

Seth Helgeson D: E, 2 Blocks

Ohio State tied Alaska 1-1

Curtis Gedig D: Assist, +1, 2 PIM (High Sticking), 3 Shots, 3 Blocks

North Dakota defeated St. Cloud State 3-0

Derek Rodwell RW: E, 1 Shot

Miami defeated Northern Michigan 5-2

Blake Coleman C: Assist (PP), E, 7 Shots, 1 Block, 11/17 Faceoffs

Edited by thefiestygoat

Saturday 11/10

WHL

Swift Current defeated Prince Albert 4-1

Reece Scarlett D: 2 Assists (Both PP), E* 2nd Star

Graham Black C: Goal, Assist (PP), +1* 1st Star

NCAA

Michigan lost to Michigan State 7-2

Minnesota tied Alaska-Anchorage 2-2

Seth Helgeson D: -1, 2 PIM (Cross Checking), 2 Shots, 1 Block

Ohio State lost to Alaska 3-1

Curtis Gedig D: -2, 1 Shot, 4 Blocks

North Dakota lost to St. Cloud State 5-2

Derek Rodwell RW: E, 1 Shot, 2 Blocks

Miami tied Northern Michigan 2-2

Blake Coleman C: E, 2 PIM (Diving), 5 Shots, 1 Block, 10/18 Faceoffs

Coleman is now averaging 4.2 shots a game through 10 games in his sophomore season for Miami.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Sunday 11/11

QMJHL

Blainville-Boisbriand defeated Saint John 8-1

Stefan Matteau LW: Goal, Assist, +3, 2 PIM (High Sticking), 7 Shots* 2nd Star

Season: 19 GP 10-8-18 +9 39 PIM 14.49 SH% 3.63 SH/GP 19 Hits 51.52 FO%

OHL

Sarnia defeated Sudbury 3-2

Reid Boucher LW: Goal (PP), -1, 2 PIM (Slashing)* 2nd Star

Season: 20 GP 10-10-20 -1 20 PIM

Boucher's last 4 games: 4-1-5 +3 6 PIM

Kitchener defeated Oshawa 2-1

Ben Thomson LW: +1

Season: 19 GP 3-6-9 -3 25 PIM

WHL

Swift Current defeated Brandon 3-2

Reece Scarlett D: -1

Season: 20 GP 1-9-10 -4 18 PIM

Graham Black C: Goal, +1, 2 PIM (High Sticking)

Season: 21 GP 10-7-17 +2 10 PIM

2012 World Junior A Challenge Gold Medal Game

Canada West lost to USA 6-3

Alex Kerfoot LW: No points or PIM recorded.

WJAC: 4 GP 2-3-5 4 PIM

Stat-wise it looks like Matteau didn't do a whole lot tonight but it is great to see Boucher get 2 even strength goals.

Thursday 11/15

QMJHL

Blainville-Boisbriand defeated Sherbrooke 4-2

Stefan Matteau LW: E, 1 Shot, 3 Hits

Season: 20 GP 10-8-18 +9 39 PIM 14.29 SH% 3.50 SH/GP 22 Hits 51.52 FO%

OHL

Sarnia lost to Barrie 5-3

Reid Boucher LW: 2 Goals, +1* 2nd Star

Season: 21 GP 12-10-22 E 20 PIM

Windsor defeated Saginaw 6-1

Ben Johnson LW: E

Season: 21 GP 3-4-7 E 14 PIM

NCAA

Michigan lost to Notre Dame 3-1

EDIT: Forgot about Belarus

Neman Grodno defeated Liepayac Metalurgc 5-1

Artur Gavrus F: E, 2 Shots

Season: 11 GP 3-2-5 +6 0 PIM 9.09 SH% 3.00 SH/GP (According to Belarus site, seems an assist got taken away recently)

Edited by thefiestygoat

I also forgot to mention that Graham Black participated in the 2012 Super Series challenge playing in 2 games for Team WHL against Russia. He finished with no points, a -1, a shot, and no penalty minutes.

Zenon Herasymiuk of Future Considerations had this to say on Black:

"Really happy for SC Broncos forward Graham Black. Playing well for WHL. One of the fastest skaters in the league. #Devils #WHL"

So far, Ben Johnson is an enormous disappointment - hope he turns it around.

As for Graham Black, I watched Game 1 of the Super Series and they talked about how Black had some sort of medical condition and was only at 75% or something like that - did anyone hear this or know more about it? Either way, looking like Black will be a decent pro.

For Boucher to really show some progress this year, what do you guys think his stats should look like? I mean, this team is dying for a high skill RW and even if it comes in a player that lacks somewhat in his all around game, I'd take it at this point. The Devils have had a hole at RW for years and haven't done much to fix it besides plugging the hole with a band-aid here and there.

I don't really follow junior hockey, so I'm just trying to get an idea of what his stat line should look like in comparison to last year in order to show he's rounding out his game instead of being that one trick pony that is satisfied with lighting it up in juniors and not learning how to really play the game.

Knowing that a good NHL team is usually built with a good mix of youngsters and vets...

looking at where our AHL team is standings... pretty much tie last in the league... and looking at our aging vets that doesnt have too much time left... plus Lou is on his last leg too... Situation in net is up in the air at this point...

gotta admit that i'm a bit worried about our future... when you see young NHL teams doing well/alright and with some serious prospects coming their way in the next few years... our younsters are not cutting it against theirs, not the best way to look at it and you can get guys through trades and all yeah but still.... im worried

Edited by SterioDesign

Knowing that a good NHL team is usually built with a good mix of youngsters and vets...

looking at where our AHL team is standings... pretty much tie last in the league... and looking at our aging vets that doesnt have too much time left... plus Lou is on his last leg too... Situation in net is up in the air at this point...

gotta admit that i'm a bit worried about our future... when you see young NHL teams doing well/alright and with some serious prospects coming their way in the next few years... our younsters are not cutting it against theirs, not the best way to look at it and you can get guys through trades and all yeah but still.... im worried

I get what you're saying but:

A- By watching games, it is obvious Adam Larsson is too good for this league.

B- Adam Henrique has shown the ability to produce at the NHL level and will be a fixture in the top 6 for years to come

C- At worst, Josefson is going to be a solid 3rd line center

D- Look at our D prospects. Larsson, Urbom, Gelinas, Burlon, Merrill, Severson to go along with Fayne. This team will be built like Nashville in the future.

E- While our forward prospects aren't the most exciting. Matteau seems like a very safe pick. Coleman, Pietilla and Black have decent shots at carving out an NHL career. And then there's the boom or bust prospects like Tedenby, Boucher and Gavrus.

That goes along with a core of of Kovalchuk, Henrique and Zajac (if he re-signs)

Mantzas already made the point, but the Devils farm team has made the playoffs once since 2002, they've largely been awful, and yet the Devils have been a top NHL team for a long time. Farm teams generally supply 3rd and 4th line players, which the Devils have had lots of trouble developing over that stretch. But that isn't what makes or breaks teams.

Furthermore, the Albany Devils are running super awful on the power play and have lost 3 shootouts - I don't care how bad your power play is, 4% is not sustainable over a season. When you have 2 PP goals in 11 games and come out of that streak 3-5-3 your team probably isn't that bad.

Mantzas already made the point, but the Devils farm team has made the playoffs once since 2002, they've largely been awful, and yet the Devils have been a top NHL team for a long time. Farm teams generally supply 3rd and 4th line players, which the Devils have had lots of trouble developing over that stretch. But that isn't what makes or breaks teams.

Furthermore, the Albany Devils are running super awful on the power play and have lost 3 shootouts - I don't care how bad your power play is, 4% is not sustainable over a season. When you have 2 PP goals in 11 games and come out of that streak 3-5-3 your team probably isn't that bad.

I think a lot of the PP woes will be fixed once Gelinas comes back

For Boucher to really show some progress this year, what do you guys think his stats should look like? I mean, this team is dying for a high skill RW and even if it comes in a player that lacks somewhat in his all around game, I'd take it at this point. The Devils have had a hole at RW for years and haven't done much to fix it besides plugging the hole with a band-aid here and there.

I don't really follow junior hockey, so I'm just trying to get an idea of what his stat line should look like in comparison to last year in order to show he's rounding out his game instead of being that one trick pony that is satisfied with lighting it up in juniors and not learning how to really play the game.

Boucher is a very late draft pick - had he been born 8 days later, he wouldn't've been eligible for the draft until 2012. That makes projecting him a little trickier since he is 6 months younger than the average 2012 'of age' pick. Still, NHL equivalencies suggest that his performance so far this year would be equal to 25 points over 82 games in the NHL. I'd like to see better than that, because none of the scouts seem to think his defense is any good, so he might be the kind of player who has to score 20 goals per 82 games to justify a spot in the NHL. We'll see once he goes to the AHL next year, but I think of him now as I thought of Nick Palmieri a few years ago - if you squint and hope you can definitely see the possibility of a good NHL player, but more likely than not it won't come together for him.

Friday 11/16

QMJHL

Blainville-Boisbriand defeated Drummondville 6-3

Stefan Matteau LW: E, 7 PIM (Charging, Fighting, Game Misconduct), 1 Shot, 1/3 Faceoffs, 2 Hits

OHL

Sarnia lost to Sudbury 3-2 (SO)

Reid Boucher LW: -1, Stopped in SO

Kitchener defeated Erie 3-1

Ben Thomson LW: E

WHL

Kelowna lost to Tri-City 3-2

Damon Severson D: -1

NCAA

Michigan lost to Notre Dame 4-1

Minnesota tied Wisconsin 2-2

Seth Helgeson D: E, 4 PIM (Roughing x2), 2 Shots, 1 Block

Wisconsin tied Minnesota 2-2

Joe Faust D: +1, 1 Shot, 2 Blocks

Ohio State defeated Northern Michigan 2-0

Curtis Gedig D: E, 1 Block

North Dakota tied Minnesota-Duluth 4-4

Derek Rodwell RW: E, 3 Shots, 1/1 Faceoff

Miami tied Michigan State 2-2 (Won SO)

Blake Coleman C: E, 2 PIM (Interference), 2 Shots, 8/16 Faceoffs

Michigan Tech defeated Bemidji State 5-4 (OT)

Blake Pietila LW: Goal, +2, 2 Shots, 1 Block, 6/8 Faceoffs

Edited by thefiestygoat

Saturday 11/17

OHL

Windsor lost to Barrie 6-5 (OT)

Ben Johnson LW: Assist, E

Kitchener lost to Owen Sound 4-0

Ben Thomson LW: -1, 6 PIM (Cross Checking, Roughing, Hooking)

WHL

Swift Current lost to Red Deer 2-1

Reece Scarlett D: -2

Graham Black C: -1, 2 PIM (Holding)

Kelowna lost to Tri-City 3-2

Damon Severson D: -1, 2 PIM (Hooking)

BCHL

Coquitlam lost to Chilliwack 5-1

Alex Kerfoot C: E

NCAA

Minnesota defeated Wisconsin 3-1

Seth Helgeson D: Assist (EN), +2, 3 Blocks

Wisconsin lost to Minnesota 3-1

Joe Faust D: E, 4 PIM (Roughing x2), 1 Block

Ohio State defeated Northern Michigan 4-2

Curtis Gedig D: +2, 2 PIM (Cross Checking), 4 Shots, 1 Block

North Dakota defeated Minnesota-Duluth 4-3 (OT)

Derek Rodwell RW: -1, 4 PIM (Roughing Double Minor), 1 Shot

Miami defeated Michigan State 2-0

Blake Coleman C: E, 4 Shots, 7/13 Faceoffs

Michigan Tech defeated Bemidji State 2-1 (OT)

Blake Pietila LW: Goal (GWG), E, 4 Shots, 5/13 Faceoffs

My general take on the prospects just by following stats, blogs, and very limited viewings...

Out of the NCAA prospects I'm really excited about Merrill but it sucks how much time he's missed the past year and a half. I like the skillset Coleman brings to the table even if he is about to be a 21 yr old sophomore. He's averaging .5 points per game, 4 shots per game, and has a 50.29 FO% as Miami's 3rd line center. Pietila is having a great start to his sophomore year and I love everything I've read on his defensive game. I haven't heard too much on Gedig but he seems like a solid shot blocker and trusted player for Ohio State. Helgeson seems like a physical d-man who will have a shot to play in Albany next year and we'll get an idea if he can be a solid pro player. Rodwell and Faust don't seem like they have a chance of getting signed by NJ when they finish college. Hell, Faust is a junior and it appears he is still on the 3rd pairing for the Badgers.

Out of the CHL guys I really like Matteau and Severson and to a lesser degree Black and Scarlett. Matteau's point totals may not be where people expect but like Coleman, I like his skill set. Severson already has a lot of WHL experience for a solid program in Kelowna and is night in and night out taking on the toughest assignments. Scarlett seems to be having a slightly underwhelming year thus far but I still think he has a real shot at being in NJ one day. Black has really justified his overage selection. I have a hard time getting as high on Boucher as others due to the lack of his overall game outside of his shot. He is one of the younger guys for his draft year so perhaps I am judging him too harshly but I don't know if his shot alone will be great enough to make him a solid pro. Not that excited about Johnson or Thomson.

Kerfoot in the BCHL is project pick so I can't hold any sort of judgement on him for a while. Still disappointed that Gavrus isn't playing in Owen Sound and given his injury history I would be surprised to ever see him in NJ.

Out of the NCAA prospects I'm really excited about Merrill but it sucks how much time he's missed the past year and a half. I like the skillset Coleman brings to the table even if he is about to be a 21 yr old sophomore. He's averaging .5 points per game, 4 shots per game, and has a 50.29 FO% as Miami's 3rd line center. Pietila is having a great start to his sophomore year and I love everything I've read on his defensive game. I haven't heard too much on Gedig but he seems like a solid shot blocker and trusted player for Ohio State. Helgeson seems like a physical d-man who will have a shot to play in Albany next year and we'll get an idea if he can be a solid pro player. Rodwell and Faust don't seem like they have a chance of getting signed by NJ when they finish college. Hell, Faust is a junior and it appears he is still on the 3rd pairing for the Badgers.

I know I said the same about Miller/Fayne but I could see the Devils passing on Helgeson, depending on what happens with McPherson and Hraberenka. Right now it looks like, signed for next year on D in the Devils' org are: Volchenkov, Fayne, Tallinder, Greene, Larsson, Salvador, Urbom, Gelinas, Burlon. So that's 10. Kelly and Young are RFA and probably won't be brought back on an NHL contract. Corrente could be put back on an NHL deal. But then you've got Merrill and Scarlett - unless NJ wants to leave Scarlett in Swift Current for his y-20 season which makes no sense. Helgeson seems like a low-upside guy - takes a lot of penalties. I could see him brought in on an AHL deal like McPherson.

Kerfoot in the BCHL is project pick so I can't hold any sort of judgement on him for a while. Still disappointed that Gavrus isn't playing in Owen Sound and given his injury history I would be surprised to ever see him in NJ.

I did forget that Hraberenka is Belarussian, which is at least someone in the organization who can talk it up to him. He could be the AHL in two years.

Edited by Triumph

Sunday 11/18

QMJHL

Blainville-Boisbriand defeated Sherbrooke 5-1

Stefan Matteau LW: 2 Goals (1 PP), Assist, +2, 2 PIM (Cross Checking), 6 Shots, 4/6 Faceoffs, 1 Hit* 1st Star

Season: 22 GP 12-9-21 +11 48 PIM 15.58 SH% 3.50 SH/GP 25 Hits 52.0 FO%

OHL

Sarnia lost to Sault Ste. Marie 9-2

Reid Boucher LW: Goal, -1, 2 PIM (Goalie Interference)

Season: 23 GP 13-10-23 -2 22 PIM

Windsor lost to Owen Sound 1-0

Season: 23 GP 3-5-8 E 14 PIM

Kitchener lost to London 4-3

Season: 22 GP 3-6-9 -4 31 PIM

WHL

Swift Current lost to Calgary 4-2

Season: 22 GP 1-9-10 -7 18 PIM

Graham Black C: 2 Goals (1 PP), -1* 2nd Star

Season: 23 GP 12-7-19 E 12 PIM

BCHL

Coquitlam lost to Vernon 7-5

Alex Kerfoot C: Goal, Assist, 2 PIM (Slashing)* No +/- on the gamesheet

Season: 14 GP 7-11-18 E 14 PIM

Sunday 11/18

QMJHL

Blainville-Boisbriand defeated Sherbrooke 5-1

Stefan Matteau LW: 2 Goals (1 PP), Assist, +2, 2 PIM (Cross Checking), 6 Shots, 4/6 Faceoffs, 1 Hit* 1st Star

Season: 22 GP 12-9-21 +11 48 PIM 15.58 SH% 3.50 SH/GP 25 Hits 52.0 FO%

OHL

Sarnia lost to Sault Ste. Marie 9-2

Reid Boucher LW: Goal, -1, 2 PIM (Goalie Interference)

Season: 23 GP 13-10-23 -2 22 PIM

Windsor lost to Owen Sound 1-0

Season: 23 GP 3-5-8 E 14 PIM

Kitchener lost to London 4-3

Season: 22 GP 3-6-9 -4 31 PIM

WHL

Swift Current lost to Calgary 4-2

Season: 22 GP 1-9-10 -7 18 PIM

Graham Black C: 2 Goals (1 PP), -1* 2nd Star

Season: 23 GP 12-7-19 E 12 PIM

BCHL

Coquitlam lost to Vernon 7-5

Alex Kerfoot C: Goal, Assist, 2 PIM (Slashing)* No +/- on the gamesheet

Season: 14 GP 7-11-18 E 14 PIM

Big night for Matteau and Black.

Out of interest what is the level of quality like in the BCHL and the WHL?

Kerfoot and Black seem to be putting up nice numbers.

Big night for Matteau and Black.

Out of interest what is the level of quality like in the BCHL and the WHL?

Kerfoot and Black seem to be putting up nice numbers.

The Dub is typically the more defensively geared league of the OHL, and Q. I mean look at some of the defensive prospects. Dumba, Reinhart, Murray, Reilly, Seth Jones, Myles Bell, Derrick Pouliot, etc.

There's also our guys like Severson and Reece, who look like marginal prospects compared to those above. I really like Ryan Pulock, kid is 2013 eligible, 3rd in points by defencemen and he recently recorded a 101 mph slapper in the Wheat Kings skills competition. Plus he's a right handed shot and the team's captain.

BCHL I don't know much about.

As for Black and Matteau. It seems like they would both be even more fit if they were to switch league's. Matteau likes a physical game which would be more fit for the W, and Black's game is mostly about speed which is most fit for the Q. Although in the Subway Super Series, Black did show some aggression and willingness to be physical. I really like Black and hope someday he makes the team. I can see him being a mid-six guy who may be better off at the wing. I really want to see him play with Henrique on a line.

Edited by Jerseydevils0324