Why don't Devils get more national attention?

Legion15

People hate NJ.

It's as simple as that.

To those of you that are from New Jersey, have you ever gone somewhere and actually said you were from NJ?

People look at you like you're a piece of crap and compare you to the show Jersey Shore. We're known as the 'worst place' in America.

It's not a coincidence our football team isn't called the New Jersey Giants.

I'm proud of the state I was born and raised in, E Rutherford for 38 yrs I moved to Florida 7 yrs ago and will be moving back next year. Jersey Strong, fvck the rest.

LGD

Tell you what--win the first round and the Devils will get the national attention they deserve.

Yup. We'll be facing the Rags or the winner of Pens/Flyers most likely, so we will definitely get some attention then.

The coverage is something to complain about, but I do understand that this isn't a favorable matchup to a national audience.

When I go out of state, I proudly tell people I'm from New Jersey. And if they give me a look, I tell them to go fvck themselves, because I'm from New Jersey.

That should be the post of the day.

I do *exactly* the same

We have crappy attendance. The rest of the country doesn't have much of an interest in us even when on the national spotlight, as evidenced by ratings. We're crowded out by the Rangers and to a lesser extent Flyers.

Seriously, if you were the league, would you feature a series between the Devils and Panthers?

But really, does it matter at all? Devils playoff games could be on Travel Channel Plus. So long as we're holding the Cup at the end of the year that's all that matters.

Why would anyone expect other people to care whether or not NJ is in a series in the first place? Do we care who Phoenix is playing??? And PS: I never encounter probles with telling people I'm from NJ. They always seem interested. They're blown away when I tell them about the wine country and ski resorts and the fantastic beaches. Maybe because I'm older.

No, it's not because you're older. I'm only 26 and I usually testify to the beauty of NJ in the beginning of any conversation I have with someone who is not familiar. Believe me, it can be a little daunting to break the stereotype and I actually may be counterproductive by doing so. Because, honestly, I don't want any more people moving here!

I proudly wear Devils gear and say I'm from NJ when I travel.. In Europe this summer I had several people recognize the Devils logo on my hat.. One dude in Iceland had a Brodeur card he said he keeps in his wallet

I'd have to believe we are big in Sweden with so many Swedes old and young

Don't know if any of you guys are in / were previously in the military... but it seems whenever you meet somebody new in this career the second person out of someone's mouth after learning your name is "where are you from?" Here's an actual conversation I had with a new guy on my ship:

F'n New Guy: "So where are you from?"

Me: "I'm from Jersey... Jersey Shore to be exact."

FNG: "Naw, you don't seem like you're that type."

Me: doh1.gif

Have to explain it to people every single time... the locals are NOT like what is seen on TV!! Other than that though, always rocking Devils T's, snapback hats, jerseys around the island... if I'm not in uniform I'm in Devils swag. It's funny the looks you get when you wear a Brodeur jersey to the bars downtown in Key West. Actually had a Wings fan come up to me once and say, "Heyyyyyyyy, Stefan Brodeur!!" ... once again, me: doh1.gif

So it's always a constant battle but one I gladly wage. Jersey proud. You can take the man out of Jersey, but you can't take the Jersey out of the man!

When I go out of state, I proudly tell people I'm from New Jersey. And if they give me a look, I tell them to go fvck themselves, because I'm from New Jersey.

Welcome to my life as a New Jerseyan living in North Carolina :lol:

Absolutely. Usually, the most annyoing comment I'll get is from a Texan asking me to say something because of my "acccent."

Oy, do I get that one. One of my best friends always laughs when I go to Starbucks with her, because I apparently say "caw-fee" and "chaw-colate."

I then proceed to make fun of her for being from fvcking Florida. I'm not talking to her for the next couple of weeks even though she doesn't care about hockey :P

Did anyone else see on NHL Tonight last night when they were discussing the first-round matchup between the Devils and Panthers, Kelly Chase mentioned how even though Kovy had such a great season, he was "under the radar" and "He was given as much attention as a white crayon," LOL.

Did anyone else see on NHL Tonight last night when they were discussing the first-round matchup between the Devils and Panthers, Kelly Chase mentioned how even though Kovy had such a great season, he was "under the radar" and "He was given as much attention as a white crayon," LOL.

He is absolutely correct in his analysis. Kovy was top 10 in goals and points, improved his play on the defensive side of the ice, and generally was the best player on a team with 102 points and yet nobody talks about him (just the way Lou likes it).

He is absolutely correct in his analysis. Kovy was top 10 in goals and points, improved his play on the defensive side of the ice, and generally was the best player on a team with 102 points and yet nobody talks about him (just the way Lou likes it).

Had to double check this ... Kovy finished with 83 points this year. The Devils have actually never had a player reach 100 points in a season.

The point stands though. He's been great this season.

Edit: I'm an idiot ... you meant the team had 102 points, not Kovy. Nevermind. :doh1:

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

To be fair, Kovy was less exciting to watch. I'd rather have this responsible, reliable Kovy than the one who played for a crap Thrashers team, but he was good for more highlight reel plays with ATL.

To be fair, Kovy was less exciting to watch. I'd rather have this responsible, reliable Kovy than the one who played for a crap Thrashers team, but he was good for more highlight reel plays with ATL.

No one was watching him in Atlanta, either. Kovalchuk needs to have a big playoffs to get his name back into the discussion of top forwards in the NHL.

No one was watching him in Atlanta, either. Kovalchuk needs to have a big playoffs to get his name back into the discussion of top forwards in the NHL.

Surprisingly he is garnering a lot of attention in Canada on TSN this season. If NJ were to have a big playoffs I think they would be much more attractive to the national market. A fast paced team with recognizable names. They are starting to shed the robot like mantra from the 90's and 00's.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Surprisingly he is garnering a lot of attention in Canada on TSN this season. If NJ were to have a big playoffs I think they would be much more attractive to the national market. A fast paced team with recognizable names. They are starting to shed the robot like mantra from the 90's and 00's.

It's all geography that determines how much attention you get in the US (Canada is different in that respect).

As we all know the excuse for ignoring the Devils was that they were defensive and "boring". Yet the Rangers this year are just as challenged offensively and even moreso than any of those Devils teams, but this year's Rangers are "crafty."

No one really cared when Kovy was in Atlanta to be honest. No one was marking any Thrasher games on the calendar. Other teams gave Kovy a lot of space knowing that whether he scored or not, the rest of the team was easy to stop.

Now, he's learned to be defensively responsible... and is arguably more effective as a player now than when he was in Atlanta. Other teams are paying a lot of attention to him because he does such a good job getting his teammates points, he's very dangerous.

In the last quarter of the season, he really scaled back on the celebrations and intensity it seemed... I hope he was re-filling the tank for the playoffs. Call me crazy but I was actually trying to look and make sure he was smiling after he scored goals to make sure nothing was wrong lol.