Let's do whatever we can to sell out the Rock this postseason

trailblazer

If you read my earlier post I said unless you have financial problems. My point is that forty dollars is not a lot of money to see a New York area sports team in the playoffs.

I agree, it's not a lot compared to what it would cost to go see another team, especially in this market. If you have the money and you call yourself a fan- you should ante up and go. I just took issue with the whole 'real fan' crap in Devilsrock's post, and I guess I didn't read yours all the way through with being all fired up from the other post. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, it's not a lot compared to what it would cost to go see another team, especially in this market. If you have the money and you call yourself a fan- you should ante up and go. I just took issue with the whole 'real fan' crap in Devilsrock's post, and I guess I didn't read yours all the way through with being all fired up from the other post. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I have no problems with you. It just frustrates me that we can never have a true sellout, cant even come close for a playoff game. Somehow the Devils will announce a sellout like they always do. Hopefully a lot of these tickets will be sold tomorrow.

I paid for my parents to see Bruce Springsteen in New York City, I brought my family to five Devil games on my own money this year. I have rent to pay with my savings. It is honestly nothing. Forty bucks for playoff tickets is nothing.

EDIT: I just wrote this without seeing your last comment about bringing my family, you don't know me.

No offense but if you are dipping into your savings to make rent when you are also paying for season tickets then you are doing it wrong

Edited by DevsMan84

No offense but if you are dipping into your savings to make rent when you are also paying for season tickets then you are doing it wrong

One year rent. Moving back home after the year. I know the set amount I owe. Paid the season tickets last June.

Edited by Zubie#8

I have no problems with you. It just frustrates me that we can never have a true sellout, cant even come close for a playoff game. Somehow the Devils will announce a sellout like they always do. Hopefully a lot of these tickets will be sold tomorrow.

I get frustrated with it too, but what can I do? I did my part and bought tickets, and so did you and a lot of others on the board. I think one of the issues with the fanbase- and its not an excuse, its a fact- is its still a very young fanbase. A lot of kids with no disposable income. I really think in 5-10 years, we won't be having discussions like this anymore because these games will sell-out relatively easily.

I'm not going to flame you since I think your intentions are good. I can only speak for myself so I'll do that. I'm 24 and ever since the Devils moved to The Rock I've gone to a 4-10 games a year until this year. My money was also tight those years but I was able to manage until this year. Under $100 is reasonable for a playoff game, but for a young person like me its not the easiest thing to pull off. I currently go to school full time while commuting (I moved back home to help care for my mother) so I spend a ton of money just devoted to that and gas. I also have to worry about the usual bills (car, insurance, food, etc.) and I usually have nothing more than a few bucks left over after I get my paycheck from my one job or cash from clients for my other job.

I'm not writing this to complain or get sympathy - I consider myself a very lucky person actually. If I could be at the games, I would.

This.

Also I probably won't be going to any games past the third round mostly due to cost. Can I afford them? Yeah I could. But honestly Id rather put my money towards savings to get a bigger place in the future because I hope to move out of my current place in 2-3 years. I do not want to and can't live at the Rock that is why tickets to games are a luxury to me and not a necessity as it seems for some people here

One year rent. Moving back home after the year. I know the set amount I owe.

What if you have an emergency or some other reason to dip in it? Savings are for future needs and investments and not paying for current living expenses hence the name.

Most teams don't have "true" sellouts. Including a few teams this postseason.

What if you have an emergency or some other reason to dip in it? Savings are for future needs and investments and not paying for current living expenses hence the name.

No need to worry about me :thumbsup:

Most teams don't have "true" sellouts. Including a few teams this postseason.

Obviously but the Devils really stretched the word sell out for the last few years.

Edited by Zubie#8

I get frustrated with it too, but what can I do? I did my part and bought tickets, and so did you and a lot of others on the board. I think one of the issues with the fanbase- and its not an excuse, its a fact- is its still a very young fanbase. A lot of kids with no disposable income. I really think in 5-10 years, we won't be having discussions like this anymore because these games will sell-out relatively easily.

I think it is the opposite with kids having more disposable income and from these boards the ones making a big stink of not making it to games= less of a fan are younger fans. I'm 28 and I have my own my own place and have bills and work full time but I'd rather spend my money on stuff I need to pay for and the rest to savings as I want to move up in the world. Again devils tickets are a luxury and I think most older fans feel the same way too and more so than younger fans.

I'm an unemployed full time college student and I worked my butt off the last two summers in order to get season tickets. I just had enough money to buy playoff tickets for the first two rounds. There is no excuse for people not going to any games. If you are a true fan you would work your butt off to see them in person, UNLESS you are in severe financial trouble. That's my two cents for what it's worth.

Edit: not saying you're not a real fan if you cant afford tickets.

You may not be trying to say people that are in financial difficulty aren't real fans but you are really coming across like it. It must be nice to be in college and not have to work during classes. I've always had a job since I was 14, I'm still in school full time and working two jobs that equal about 50 hours a week and I have absolutely nothing in my bank account due to family matters on top of usual expenses. I know there are fans out there with their own difficulties so its not fair to take a shot at them. I usually don't get offended, but I am here.

when we cant sell out a playoff game thats when you know...

how sad....I'm from montreal and I will be attending the game.

For people that cant afford 100$ for a playoff ticket dont call yourselfs fans..

I've been a member on this forum for quite some time. I've enjoyed my time here, learned a lot, and even matured as a poster since I joined as a teenager. It seems over the past few years this forum has gone a bit downhill at times. I never thought I would say this but as I have seen other posters in the past do, I may have to take a break from here for a bit if I'm not a real fan since can't go to a game.

So what about that family of 4 who can't afford 400 bucks plus money for gas and tolls to the game? If they watch the game from home they aren't real fans? Some of you need to pull your head out of your ass and realize some people have it a lot worse then you out there.

Thank you for being a reasonable voice here. As I said in my post I would consider myself a fortunate person to have what I have (a lot of people in this country and world would give anything to just have basic necessities, this is all about the luxury of watching hockey - its just a game). Just because I can't afford tickets shouldn't make me a lesser fan and its nice to see you, as well as some others in this thread recognize that.

The problem I have with posts like Devsfan118's is that they're basically preaching to the choir. The people who post on a message board are by and large either the ones who go to games anyway, or the more rabid fans who cannot. And yes, we know the last couple rounds are going to sell out automatically if there are a last couple rounds, even at much higher prices - but that doesn't mean the first round of (hopefully) a two-month playoff run is going to.

Plus it's easy for people who can afford it to tell everyone else that it's not a problem to buy tickets. I look at $40 tickets on StubHub and think that's a great deal, even with the additional $20 or so dollars surcharge added onto it, but I usually only go myself or with one other person, can afford my tickets beforehand and don't have to eat or drink at the arena anyway.

My big problem isn't with people who can't afford tickets, it's with those who can and just automatically flip the Ranger games for profit, almost ensuring another couple of Ranger fans get into the arena. If you need the money from the tickets that badly, you shouldn't be buying those tickets in the first place.

I'm not saying you're not allowed to flip 'any' tickets for profit, but Flyer and Penguin fans can't make up half the building the way Ranger fans can and it creates a real home-ice disadvantage.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Just to follow up, and comment on some recent posts:

I never intended to call a person's fanhood into question regarding finances. If a fan cannot afford to go to a game / bring their family to a game, then that's that. End of story. No knocks or disrespect to them. Theyre no less of a fan because of this.

I think I was aiming my post more at the 'Meh Id rather just stay home and watch the game on my HD TV screen' crowd. I guess what I'm trying to say is this:

If you can afford to go, your schedule permits, and you enjoy the experience of going to a game, you should be at these games to show your support.

I think I was aiming my post more at the 'Meh Id rather just stay home and watch the game on my HD TV screen' crowd.

That's fair enough, there are a few of those people here. I do like going to games, especially since in my years as an sth I've made a bunch of 'arena' friends there, and even if I wind up going myself it's still better than just watching the game myself at home.

I don't have an HDTV though, but you can see the game better on normal TV than most arena seats anyway, it's just different when you're experiencing it and being part of the crowd noise. You're able to scream and yell there in a way you can't always do at home.

That's fair enough, there are a few of those people here. I do like going to games, especially since in my years as an sth I've made a bunch of 'arena' friends there, and even if I wind up going myself it's still better than just watching the game myself at home.

I don't have an HDTV though, but you can see the game better on normal TV than most arena seats anyway, it's just different when you're experiencing it and being part of the crowd noise. You're able to scream and yell there in a way you can't always do at home.

Ah the good old days where I always suffered a headache from watching hockey on tv in the 1990's. I had the worst tv in my room and I would literally kill myself to watch hockey, I get a lot of headaches in my life :angry:

I understand that but that's the best ticket price anyone will ever see for any playoff game in this area.

Let me break it down like this.

I've learned 1 thing on this board when discussing buying tickets. This forum is filled predominately with broke college kids. At least that seems like the consensus.

I understand that some people don't have disposable income but don't lose sight of the fact that NJ is one of the richest states in the country.

We have money here.

So the fact is all the college kids and all the people that are broke are in the minority here.

Somebody should lock this post and throw away the key, or just obliterate it from existence. We're all Devils fans and you can either afford to go or you can't. There is no reason to attack those who cannot go for WHATEVER reason.

The problem the Devils have is not that their fans would rather stay home and watch the games on TV. Every team has fans like that.

The problem with the Devils is that they don't have enough fans, period, to sell out games regularly. Why that is has been debated back and forth ever since they moved here in 1982.

The problem with the Devils is that they don't have enough fans, period, to sell out games regularly. Why that is has been debated back and forth ever since they moved here in 1982.

This is what it unfortunately boils down to, I think.

But, my post has (unintentionally) turned this thread kinda ugly. Ticket price discussions are always touch-and-go, but my post kinda brought some unintentionally ugly discussions about.

My bad; let's just focus on tonight's game, haha

Edited by Devilsfan118

And if you do happen to be able to go to the game on Tuesday or Thursday, don't waste your time looking around counting the empty seats. Just cheer, clap, chant and have have a F'n good time. If you make the Prudential Center "the place to be," no one will notice or care how many people were there to begin with.

Theres no way youve got NO spare money to support your team.

This will be my last post on this forum. I don't really understand why people can't comprehend how people don't have disposable income. Congratulations, perhaps the economy being sh!t for a decade + hasn't affected you as much as others, perhaps you don't have to help take care of a sick and disabled family member. For your sake, I hope things stay well for you.

To everyone that made this place awesome for the past 7 + years, thanks. Its been real.