New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

<font face="Arial Black"><font size="3"><font color="#ff0000">TIMELINE:</font><br><br><font color="#ff0000">9/3:</font> (actually on 9/4 at 3am EDT) NHL and NHLPA reach an agreement and the Kovalchuk contract is approved <a href="http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/reports_nhl_and_nhlpa_reach_agreement_kovalchuk_deal_to_be_approved/" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external">LINK</a> </font></font><div><font face="Arial Black"><font size="3"><font size="5"><font color="#ff0000">KOVALCHUK IS A DEVIL FOR LIFE!!!</font></font><br><br><font color="#ff0000">9/1:</font> NHL and NHLPA agree to extend Kovalchuk deadline to 5 p.m. Friday <a href="http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/nhl_and_nhlpa_agree_to_extend_kovalchjk_deadline_to_5_p.m._friday/" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external">LINK</a><br><br><font color="#ff0000">8/27:</font> Devils Submit new contract to league for approval <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5504380" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external">LINK</a><br><br><font color="#ff0000">8/9:</font> Arbitrator Bloch upholds NHL’s rejection of Kovalchuk’s contract; Kovalchuk a UFA again <a href="http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/reports_arbitrator_richard_bloch_uphold_nhls_rejection_of_ilya_kovalchuks_c/" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external">LINK</a><br><br><font color="#ff0000">8/4-8/5:</font> Arbitration Hearing is conducted in Boston <a href="http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/ilya_kovalchuk_grievance_hearing_begins_today_in_boston/" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external">LINK</a><br><br><font color="#ff0000">7/30:</font> NHL and NHLPA Agree on Arbitrator Richard Block <a href="http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/richard_bloch_to_serve_as_system_arbitrator_in_kovalchuk_grievance/" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external">LINK</a><br><br><font color="#ff0000">7/26:</font> NHLPA Files Grievance on NHL rejection of contract LINK<br><br><font color="#ff0000">7/20:</font> NHL REJECTS CONTRACT ON 7/20/2010 LINK<br><br><font color="#ff0000">7/19:</font> On Day 19 of the Ilya Kovalchuk fan hostage crisis, He SIGNS WITH THE NJ DEVILS for 17 Years @ $102 Million LINK<br><br><font color="#ff0000">7/4-7/16:</font> 7/1 Kings In, 7/4 Kings Out, 7/7 Kings In, 7/8 Kings Out, 7/11 Kings In<br><br><font color="#ff0000">7/12-7/16:</font> Kovalchuk vists LA in person (with wife) culminating in wide reports of his imminent signing LINK<br><br><font color="#ff0000">7/10:</font> Brooks NY Post Reports Devils Offer is 17+ years @ Front Loaded $100M LINK<br><br><font color="#ff0000">7/5:</font> Jay Grossman Twitter: Ilya Kovalchuk choices have been narrowed down, details to be finalized but no announcement tonight. LINK<br><br><font color="#ff0000">7/2:</font> Reported widely Islanders offer $100M to lure Kovy to Island LINK<br><br><font color="#ff0000">7/1:</font> FREE AGENCY Begins Kings and Devils rumored favorites to sign Kovalchuk<br></font></font><br>_________________<br>Per Mckenzie<br><br><a href="http://twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzie" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external">http://twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzie</a><br><br>

Word I'm getting, and this can change in a heartbeat, is that if Ilya Kovalchuk is going to sign in Los Angeles, it will NOT happen tonight.
<br><br>Do it Lou tonight

</div>

Edited by RowdyFan42
Timeline Update & Links

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mckenzie is a little off.

The Kings aren't as interested as people were lead to believe. They aren't offering anywhere close to what Grossman wants and Dean Lombardi GM of Kings doesn't even know if he is still in the biddging (per Lebrun).

Since there isn't really a market for Kovy based on his assumed market value, he will probably take a few days/weeks and see if a market actually comes into play.

am i wrong to think that the devils outcome this post-season effected his value?

certainly didn't help it - but i think there were only a few teams that could actually pay a winger the salary he wanted. and perhaps his reputation as a me-first guy is more true than we wanted to believe.

when you read Dater say that he's overplayed his hand, it shows that there's only LA and NJD anywhere near the salary he's looking for and it's obviously in the $6M-$7M range from both - likely not long on years either. both LA and NJ know what the other has on the table and likely aren't bidding against eachother anymore - i think what's going to be surprising is that he ends up with like a 5/35 deal when he had 12/100 from atlanta.

certainly didn't help it - but i think there were only a few teams that could actually pay a winger the salary he wanted. and perhaps his reputation as a me-first guy is more true than we wanted to believe.

when you read Dater say that he's overplayed his hand, it shows that there's only LA and NJD anywhere near the salary he's looking for and it's obviously in the $6M-$7M range from both - likely not long on years either. both LA and NJ know what the other has on the table and likely aren't bidding against eachother anymore - i think what's going to be surprising is that he ends up with like a 5/35 deal when he had 12/100 from atlanta.

Certainly his performance indicated he isn't a plug and everything is fixed solution. I think he never gelled and anyone that watched him was aware that its alot to spend and could create imbalance

he never had 12/$100M. that was a calculated PR move. if there was any chance of him accepting, it wouldn't have been offered.

I still think he has a concrete offer from us, which hopefully is in line with what the Devils normally do, and he's stuck.

waiting around to see what he gets offered. in March it was a 2 team race, if it's still a 2 team race now, he's really screwed. where's the money coming from? Colorado says they aren't playing. Wang? :lol:

teams can be stupid, but there's a limit to the stupidity. alot of teams are relatively tight to the cap, have other needs, have young players that need to be signed. they're just not going to throw Crosby/Ovechkin money at this guy when he is neither.

if you listen to jester (puck daddy) - he thinks that kovy wants LA and is just trying to get the $ as high as possible, using the devils for leverage.

whatever - i would be 100 times happier if lou traded for one of the vancouver d (bieksa, erfhoff, salo) rather than signed kovalchuk at this point - even if he was able to move rolston and salvador to make kovalchuk possible.

if you listen to jester (puck daddy) - he thinks that kovy wants LA and is just trying to get the $ as high as possible, using the devils for leverage.

whatever - i would be 100 times happier if lou traded for one of the vancouver d (bieksa, erfhoff, salo) rather than signed kovalchuk at this point - even if he was able to move rolston and salvador to make kovalchuk possible.

I don't think anyone really knows. Jester is just another voice howling in the wind. There's like a spectrum out there between "he's all but signed" to "Lombardi threw his papers up in the air and walked off."

the common theme between now and March is that the Devils are not in the discussion. I don't know if Jester would dare mention the Devils as a front-runner. :lol: not worth the angry tweets

Edited by maxpower

Ehrhoff would be nice...

Reasons Kovy can give us a home team discount over LA:

1. Despite our recent playoff failures we are still not many pieces away from a true cup contender. Yes, LA have some good youngsters but they havent proven anything. They had a decent season last year but almost choked away their playoff spot in the second half of the season. The Devils are guaranteed a playoff spot every single season practically.

2. NJ is closer to Mother Russia capital city than LA, which is better for his mother or family to come over.

3. The NY metro area has more Russians than does LA - by far.

4. Kovy is a family man. He can spend much more time with his two small children playing in our division. Away games in our division dont mean staying in that city over night. He can be home with the fam after each game. Cant do that in LA.

5. Kovy is also a competitor. You can see his enthusiasm when we played the Rags. You can tell he would love games at MSG, Philly. Hes also got games agst Crosby, Ovechkin...games at Mtl, Toronto, and Atlanta (where he still has a home and many friends). LA cannot offer that. The Atlantic Division is the most exciting division to be in.

6. He knows our organization already and has played with Volchenkov and Hedberg. He raved about Lemaire and his wealth of knowledge. Well, Larry Robinson (altho a defensive coach) can offer mental advice to Kovy. Hes also got an offensive minded coach in Johnny Mac.

You can argue LA has a brighter future but id disagree. Afterall, we have the young Parise, who is in the upper class of NHL talent. LA cant say they have a player in his class. Lou just had to tell Kovy he will lock Zach up asap and shed dead weight salary later. So, i just dont see what LA offers except more money lol...but i dont think Kovy is that type of guy.

he never had 12/$100M. that was a calculated PR move. if there was any chance of him accepting, it wouldn't have been offered.

I still think he has a concrete offer from us, which hopefully is in line with what the Devils normally do, and he's stuck.

waiting around to see what he gets offered. in March it was a 2 team race, if it's still a 2 team race now, he's really screwed. where's the money coming from? Colorado says they aren't playing. Wang? :lol:

The Islanders are like $12 million under the salary floor and can't get anyone to sign there, unless taking on someone's bad contracts appeal to them I don't understand why they don't take a stab at Kovalchuk for the heck of it.

la has doughty who quite likely will be the best defenseman in the league over the next 10 years. they've got jack johnson who's another very good young defenseman. kopitar and brown are really very good. that team is in great shape for the future and kovalchuk would be a fantastic fit there.

1. Despite our recent playoff failures we are still not many pieces away from a true cup contender. Yes, LA have some good youngsters but they havent proven anything. They had a decent season last year but almost choked away their playoff spot in the second half of the season. The Devils are guaranteed a playoff spot every single season practically.

2. NJ is closer to Mother Russia capital city than LA, which is better for his mother or family to come over.

4. Kovy is a family man. He can spend much more time with his two small children playing in our division. Away games in our division dont mean staying in that city over night. He can be home with the fam after each game. Cant do that in LA.

5. Kovy is also a competitor. You can see his enthusiasm when we played the Rags. You can tell he would love games at MSG, Philly. Hes also got games agst Crosby, Ovechkin...games at Mtl, Toronto, and Atlanta (where he still has a home and many friends). LA cannot offer that. The Atlantic Division is the most exciting division to be in.

6. He knows our organization already and has played with Volchenkov and Hedberg. He raved about Lemaire and his wealth of knowledge. Well, Larry Robinson (altho a defensive coach) can offer mental advice to Kovy. Hes also got an offensive minded coach in Johnny Mac.

You can argue LA has a brighter future but id disagree. Afterall, we have the young Parise, who is in the upper class of NHL talent. LA cant say they have a player in his class. Lou just had to tell Kovy he will lock Zach up asap and shed dead weight salary later. So, i just dont see what LA offers except more money lol...but i dont think Kovy is that type of guy.

While those are all great points who knows what the money difference is and I don't think a drawn out process favors the devils, I just don't think Lou likes being used as a bargaining chip

In LA its 85 degrees year-round versus 25 degrees/snowing in New Jersey.

The Islanders are like $12 million under the salary floor and can't get anyone to sign there, unless taking on someone's bad contracts appeal to them I don't understand why they don't take a stab at Kovalchuk for the heck of it.

Daniel?

he's not going to the islanders - he's had enough of losing. he'd sooner go back to atlanta. the isles are so far under that they may be where lou trades rolston - rolston might actually agree because he can still live in his house in short hills and just deal with the 2 hour commute.

The longer this goes I think the better the chances of Lou re-signing Kovy. It will give time for Lou to talk to Jay Grossman and Kovy to work out a deal and for Lou to make the cap space room although he is close to having it already IMO.

The additions of Volchenkov and Hedberg believe it or not may make Kovy take the offer that Lou is giving him if there is one right now.

All the more I don't think Kovy is going to LA. Mckenzie maybe off on this one.

Edited by SatansDevils

Daniel?

he's not going to the islanders - he's had enough of losing. he'd sooner go back to atlanta. the isles are so far under that they may be where lou trades rolston - rolston might actually agree because he can still live in his house in short hills and just deal with the 2 hour commute.

I wouldn't have thought the Isles had a chance in you know what before today but given both the flat market for Kovalchuk and seeing on Hockey Night Live that they have all that salary they need to fill in makes it plausible they give him the highest offer moneywise just as they gave Martin the highest offer.

Whether that'd be enough to lure him there who knows, he's probably having sellers' remorse of turning down all that money in Atlanta and might not want to play for any more less than he already is.

If the Isles would rather take on Rolston's deal over giving Kovalchuk an offer than they're even dumber than I think. Of course there is a sucker born every minute.

Edited by NJDevs26

la has doughty who quite likely will be the best defenseman in the league over the next 10 years. they've got jack johnson who's another very good young defenseman. kopitar and brown are really very good. that team is in great shape for the future and kovalchuk would be a fantastic fit there.

by that same token, they don't need him, and they may have witnessed a lab experiment last spring they didn't like. it's possibly the hockey people don't want this as much as the brass/fans.

In LA its 85 degrees year-round versus 25 degrees/snowing in New Jersey.

Nope, On the average high it gets to just below 85 degrees in LA and that's for one month only (August) The other eleven months are colder, especially Jan where the avg high is 68 degrees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_angeles

While those are all great points who knows what the money difference is and I don't think a drawn out process favors the devils, I just don't think Lou likes being used as a bargaining chip

True...and thats the thing, the range of what clubs would be willing to throw at him seems to be so wide that no one really knows what the likely scenario is.

LA can't say they have a player in his class???? Do you follow the Kings??? Drew Doughty Norris Candidate? Dustin Brown? Anze Kopitar??

The biggest thing LA offers that we can't: He wants to play in LA.

Edited by MantaRay

Kovy has a short list of teams he wants to sign with. Did last seaon hurt him...that one is hard for me to say. I mean the guy averaged a point per game while here, he was one of the biggest names the Devils ever traded for so I think its unfair to say he didnt work out. Like I said, a point per game and people expected alot more from him like he was going to score a hat trick every night. How long did it take for the Devils players themselves to stop standing around watching him?

It's so hard to tell what will happen. Part of me thinks the longer this drags out with LA the more of a chance NJ has to sign him because Kovy and LA could start to disagree on certain things and it could turn into more of an arbitration hearing and get ugly. But on the other hand with LA not appearing to do too much right now with the free agents they could be locking the deal down with a hush hush verbal agreement.

LA can't say they have a player in his class???? Do you follow the Kings??? Drew Doughty Norris Candidate? Dustin Brown? Anze Kopitar??

None of those players are in Parise's class. Im mad you even put Dustin Brown in there lol...i mean, really? Its not even close.

None of those players are in Parise's class. Im mad you even put Dustin Brown in there lol...i mean, really? Its not even close.

Yes, god forbid I compare the Captain of another team to Zach. My word! Blasphemy!!!