New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well with the Kings rumored to actually go after Simone Gagne I think that puts us it a better position in the Kovy sweepstakes. No?

it certainly wouldn't hurt though they could just be using gagne as leverage against Kovalchuk to make him sign before they got Gagne

Yes sir. Idk whats dragging on longer Kovy's situatuon or NBA free agency.

nba free agency's always like this. IIRC Hossa and Gaborik were both signed on day 1 last year. Kovy's just got no market

All sorts of reports on Twitter that the Avs and Flyers are now involved....wow, Lebron really might sign somewhere before Kovy does....

Just to put this in perspective, this was started by Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) (I guess it got blown up by other people on Twitter? I'm not sure).The Flyers currently have around $577,000 in cap space, and even if they were to get rid of Gagne's contract, they'd have around $5,750,000 in cap space. With Carcillo being RFA and looking at a raise,and the fact that Philly might still be in the mix for Turco, There's no way they'd be able to give Kovalchuk the money he wants.

Also, a columnist for the Denver post just tweeted this:

adater

There in NO pursuit of kovalchuk by Avalanche. The end

Just to put this in perspective, this was started by Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) (I guess it got blown up by other people on Twitter? I'm not sure).The Flyers currently have around $577,000 in cap space, and even if they were to get rid of Gagne's contract, they'd have around $5,750,000 in cap space. With Carcillo being RFA and looking at a raise,and the fact that Philly might still be in the mix for Turco, There's no way they'd be able to give Kovalchuk the money he wants.

Also, a columnist for the Denver post just tweeted this:

adater

There in NO pursuit of kovalchuk by Avalanche. The end

I hope that is true and that it is still Devils, Isles, and Kings in the mix. If he goes to the Island I will boo his ass relentlessly for the rest of my life.....

does anyone know how credible that source is saying that Kovy wants to win now and is going to go to NJ unless LA ups their offer? also i was just listenin to XM NHL Radio and they said the kings are dropping out. they said its because the kings feel they dont want to invest so much into a player who hasnt proved he can be a clutch player come playoff time. if both are true its seems its NJ

does anyone know how credible that source is saying that Kovy wants to win now and is going to go to NJ unless LA ups their offer? also i was just listenin to XM NHL Radio and they said the kings are dropping out. they said its because the kings feel they dont want to invest so much into a player who hasnt proved he can be a clutch player come playoff time. if both are true its seems its NJ

I Heard that as well, but let's be real those are the same guys who said the flyers weren't beatin the devils/.... hahaha

nah but idunno man. Once again, we can't sign him untill we get rid of one or two contracts. ANd we need monies to sign parise next year.

nah but idunno man. Once again, we can't sign him untill we get rid of one or two contracts. ANd we need monies to sign parise next year.

That's not true, they can sign him first and then get rid of contracts. In fact, it makes more sense to do it that way so that you don't free up a lot of Kovalchuk space and then lose out on him.

Man it's amazing Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) makes a living off this drivel. The Flyers are in cap hell, even with Gagne out of the picture. The Avs have 0 interest (confirmed), as the Colorado reporter mentioned. And then Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) writes an article that Lou is being very crafty and trying to offer Kovy 2 years at $6M per. How does that make ANY sense? It's one thing to take a discount, and another to take a pay CUT in the prime of your career. What an absolute joke.

Edited by Amberite

I didn't see this posted:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=533746&navid=DL|NHL|home

As for the Devils, President and GM Lou Lamoriello told the New York Post: "I'm still here [in the office], I'm not on the beach."

Good quote from Lou.

------------------

This from NHL.com free agency blog:

Kovalchuk sweepstakes hit standstill

07.03.10 / 06:09 PM ET

After a flurry of reports kept us all entertained Friday night, news on Ilya Kovalchuk and where he'll sign has been eerily quiet all day Saturday.

Katie Strang, the Islanders' beat writer for Newsday, recently blogged that she doesn't expect the team to make any move on Kovalchuk today or possibly all weekend. Strang reached GM Garth Snow by phone.

"I'm not going to repeat this everyday," Snow told Strang. "I've had a conversation with his agent and I'll leave it at that."

There has also been zero news out of Los Angeles or New Jersey when it comes to Kovalchuk. The Kings, Devils and Islanders are reportedly the three teams in the running for the superstar left wing who has scored 40 goals in seven straight seasons.

If news breaks tonight, NHL.com will be on top of it. But, judging from what we're hearing and reading, don't hold your breath.

Edited by nyrsuck26

Man it's amazing Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) makes a living off this drivel. The Flyers are in cap hell, even with Gagne out of the picture. The Avs have 0 interest (confirmed), as the Colorado reporter mentioned. And then Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) writes an article that Lou is being very crafty and trying to offer Kovy 2 years at $6M per. How does that make ANY sense? It's one thing to take a discount, and another to take a pay CUT in the prime of your career. What an absolute joke.

yeah, how is that crafty anyway? the only way it would be crafty was if he was trying to get rid of him. :lol:

I think the Avs have 0 interest, but they really need to spend money on *something*, they're in the same mess the Isles are in. That's why I was shocked when they announced themselves out before it even began.

That's not true, they can sign him first and then get rid of contracts. In fact, it makes more sense to do it that way so that you don't free up a lot of Kovalchuk space and then lose out on him.

Right. You don't sign Volchenkov and Tallinder before Martin walks. Lou's number one priority should be Kovy. Freeing up space comes next. Use the rules to your advantage.

Edited by ben00rs

IMO, if we hear about White or Salvador getting dealt, the Kovalchuk Staying In New Jersey announcement will be soon to follow. Until then, with each day that passes I almost feel like the KHL's case is getting stronger.