#1 hoekster316

hoekster316

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

As per Nick Kypreo:
"With new agreement, 1st buyout window will start prior 2 season opener. 2nd one remains in summer. Cap hit stays 4 rest of this season only"

Honestly, if he's willing to take the vet minimum (or near that), I'd love to have him back. He's not a scorer (we all knew that when he went to the Rags), but, prior to last season, he's had nearly 50 assists 5 years in a row:
http://www.tsn.ca/nh...?id=1356#career

Got Bling?

Devils3SCRingsSignature.jpg

#2 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,407 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Did you not see the 3 page Gomez thread right above this? lol

#3 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Scottt Gomez ! lol would laugh if he can produce

#4 hoekster316

hoekster316

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Did you not see the 3 page Gomez thread right above this? lol

Obviously you're not a bowler.

Got Bling?

Devils3SCRingsSignature.jpg

#5 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,497 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Obviously you're not a bowler.

I'm a bowler, but I'm still not getting it. :noclue:
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#6 socbrian

socbrian

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Problem is we don't need centers. We need wings

#7 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

The Devils love bringing back guys like this... and I think he would do pretty well. The only problem is that we don't really need another center. It's not worth stunting Josefson or Henriques development at center... but then again should our # 2 and 3 centers be so young?
Posted Image

#8 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Shift Henrique to wing.

Problem = Solved

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#9 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

Don't see how this is a problem. It's not like it's illegal to move a center to the wing, it's pretty common practice. Henrique/Elias and Gomez would be moved to the left wing. Top 3 centers are still Zajac-Elias/Henrique-Josefson.

#10 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Don't see how this is a problem. It's not like it's illegal to move a center to the wing, it's pretty common practice. Henrique/Elias and Gomez would be moved to the left wing. Top 3 centers are still Zajac-Elias/Henrique-Josefson.

This. Plus, with Gomez's speed declining the past few years, a shift to wing would be better for him.
Posted Image

#11 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

This is not and will not be happening. I'd be willing to bet something on it. I just don't see any need, maybe Lou might see something we don't but i seriously doubt he's even looking.

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#12 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

This is not and will not be happening. I'd be willing to bet something on it. I just don't see any need, maybe Lou might see something we don't but i seriously doubt he's even looking.

You don't see any need for a playmaking forward in NJ?

#13 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

of course there's a need for a playmaker, but is that seriously Gomez? Did we not learn from Rolston? A lot of people like to be nostalgic and want players back (Rolston, Shanahan, Holik, Dowd in 06, hell Janssen) and what we think will be a 'good fit' or 'locker room presence' actually winds up hurting productivity. If it was anyone besides Gomez, i might consider it, but the numbers don't lie:

2010-11: 7 goals(31 A[decent]) in 80 GP
2011-12: 2 goals(9 A) in 38 GP

When he was younger he used to be capable of 45-70 assists years while still having a decent amount of goals, and he's only been declining more and more. He's 33 now. I just don't think he's the best option right now.

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil, 15 January 2013 - 05:04 PM.

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#14 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,686 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

There is....when you bring up a name of a playmaking forward I'll talk about having interest in him :)
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#15 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

There is....when you bring up a name of a playmaking forward I'll talk about having interest in him :)

this basically

#16 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

of course there's a need for a playmaker, but is that seriously Gomez? Did we not learn from Rolston? A lot of people like to be nostalgic and want players back (Rolston, Shanahan, Holik, Dowd in 06, hell Janssen) and what we think will be a 'good fit' or 'locker room presence' actually winds up hurting productivity. If it was anyone besides Gomez, i might consider it, but the numbers don't lie:

2010-11: 7 goals(31 A[decent]) in 80 GP
2011-12: 2 goals(9 A) in 38 GP

When he was younger he used to be capable of 45-70 assists years while still having a decent amount of goals, and he's only been declining more and more. He's 33 now. I just don't think he's the best option right now.

Rolston has nothing to do with this conversation. Nobody is saying that we should sign Gomez for 5 mil/per for way too many years. We are talking about a cheap, 1 year deal. Low risk. Even if he bombs, it's not a major loss. But there's a decent chance that he could be a good fit. Obviously he is not going to put up 50+ assists, and that's fine. If he can score around 40 points playing 3rd line minutes and distributing the puck on the 2nd PP unit, that would be a steal. I'm not saying he's the ideal pick up, but he would be a low-risk signing that could help fill in our forward depth.

If you see a better UFA forward who would be cheap and provide what Gomez can, let me know. Otherwise, we just have to hope that Lou can work his magic and find us a good trade. Personally, I say we take our chances and sign Gomez (along with looking at trade options).

#17 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Rolston has nothing to do with this conversation. Nobody is saying that we should sign Gomez for 5 mil/per for way too many years. We are talking about a cheap, 1 year deal. Low risk. Even if he bombs, it's not a major loss. But there's a decent chance that he could be a good fit. Obviously he is not going to put up 50+ assists, and that's fine. If he can score around 40 points playing 3rd line minutes and distributing the puck on the 2nd PP unit, that would be a steal. I'm not saying he's the ideal pick up, but he would be a low-risk signing that could help fill in our forward depth.

If you see a better UFA forward who would be cheap and provide what Gomez can, let me know. Otherwise, we just have to hope that Lou can work his magic and find us a good trade. Personally, I say we take our chances and sign Gomez (along with looking at trade options).

All valid points, i wasn't necessarily talking about Rolstons terrible contract just the general overestimating former players who wind up coming back to do nothing but skate around a few minutes a game and occasionally hit the back of the net. This is essentially the same team as last year save for a few people. This team is going to be thirsty this year after what happened, and imo i just don't think Gomez has that drive in him anymore. I could be wrong but i don't know if it will happen.

#18 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

It'd be like the Sykora signing of last year. Might work better if we had a full camp to see

#19 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

2010-11: 7 goals(31 A[decent]) in 80 GP <------ these numbers would not be bad on our team
2011-12: 2 goals(9 A) in 38 GP <---------- these numbers are better than jj's were last year

as was said before with a contract like sykora had last year it is worth a shot
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#20 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

Henrique is currently injured, Zajac spent most of last year injured and Josefson is always injured. Adding Gomez gives us depth and allows Elias to fill the hole at LW.

Gomez is absolutely a playmaker. One of his biggest problems was that he was never a scorer and fans in NY and Montreal expected that given his bloated contract.

I typically hate when Lou bring guys back for a second time and I wasn't a big Gomez fan the first time around but I think this could be a good move if Lou can get him cheap on a 1 year deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users