2011-2012 Miami Dolphins (Offseason) Thread

Hi, I'm VALUE!

In theory we could still draft Blackmon if Cleveland picks Tannehill and St. Louis picks Richardson.

Unless it's Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson, a rookie wide-out isn't going to be much of a help. (And even Calvin Johnson wasn't quite Calvin Johnson until his second year).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tannehill not the worst pick in the world. Really, the Phins have so many holes that I guess anyone that was still out there wasn't going to help them get back to relevance anytime soon, except maybe Melvin Ingram, who I think will be beast.

The expectations for Tannehill, and the team for that matter, are pretty low for the next year or so. Maybe that gives some sort of stability, at least with the coaching staff.

Good draft so far, I really like what Ireland has done here. We finally get that 1st round QB in Tannehill, and get a great value in the 2nd round with Jonathan Martin, the OT from Stanford. He'll start at RT right away, and was a 1st round pick in many mocks. Then picking up DE Olivier Vernon from the U and Michael Egnew, the seam threat TE from Missouri in the 3rd, were also good looking picks. Hopefully we address WR and the secondary tomorrow.

Complete list of Miami's picks as per NFL.COM

We have a lot of picks that have the potential to be late-round steals. Miller and Randall I'm looking at hoping they'll make a difference. If we get anything from a WR perspective out of Cunningham or Matthews I'll be ecstatic, but it looks like next season's starting WR's will be Hartline and Nannee with Bess in the slot.

Only great pick in my mind was Martin. Fills a need, and was a first round talent, although folks like Kiper don't think he can be an immediate starter.

Miller's talented, but you lose value in drafting a guy in the third round as insurance against an injury to Bush or Thomas (or in case Thomas turns out to be a bust, which would be very disconcerting considering we passed up on Mallett to draft the guy).

My expectations for this draft were very low. If Tannehill turns out to be a bust, it's not the end of the world. Didn't see anyone drafted below him with the potential to be a franchise type player, so you might as well take a chance on him. I only wonder whether it would have made sense to draft Fletcher Cox and attempt to work out a trade with Philly considering that he was clearly Philly's guy. Too much of a risk I suppose when they were clearly targeting Tannehill.

The big fear that I have is that the Phins have too much invested in Tannehill that they'd be forced to pass up drafting someone like Barkley next year or another potential franchise QB down the road.

I'll add that Ron Jaworski, who basically touts every QB in the draft as having the potential to turn into Aaron Rodgers, saying that Tannehill could develop into a "solid" starting QB.

Edited by Daniel

Unbelievable, RIP Junior. I'm stunned. I didn't realize how deep his depression problems were. I have a throwback Seau jersey from the 2003 season- it was the old '72 jersey the Fins wore against Dallas on Thanksgiving that year. I haven't worn it in a long time, but I will be breaking it again next season to honor the man. Prayers to his family and friends.

I can't help but think, between guys like Junior Seau and Dave Duerson committing suicide, the concussion issues, all the other health problems ex-NFL'ers have, people that like the NFL as is better enjoy it now because it might be dramatically different within a decade at this point.

I can't help but think, between guys like Junior Seau and Dave Duerson committing suicide, the concussion issues, all the other health problems ex-NFL'ers have, people that like the NFL as is better enjoy it now because it might be dramatically different within a decade at this point.

It almost has to. When I heard Seau did it with a shot to the chest, it was almost like he was telling everyone this has everything to do with his football career. Its also going to happen to hockey. Its just a question of how dramatic.

January 10, 2010.. Seau's playing in the playoffs for the New England Patriots. Before the game speaks at length regarding the Junior Seau Foundation, and how; "life trumps football". Now 2 years later this. Just can't understand it.

RIP Junior. What a horrible tragedy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately that's not saying a whole lot. I hear OJ McDuffie is available.

Philbin's offense doesn't need a "stud" #1 WR. Its a committee approach. Look at Green Bay and tell me who their Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson is. Jordy Nelson? James Jones? The answer is they don't have one. Its the way the offense is. I'm not even worried about it.

Philbin's offense doesn't need a "stud" #1 WR. Its a committee approach. Look at Green Bay and tell me who their Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson is. Jordy Nelson? James Jones? The answer is they don't have one. Its the way the offense is. I'm not even worried about it.

Having Aaron Rodgers makes up for that. You're also forgetting about Greg Jennings.

Brian Hartline, apparently our number 1 receiver right now, probably gets cut by half the teams in the league.

Having Aaron Rodgers makes up for that. You're also forgetting about Greg Jennings.

Brian Hartline, apparently our number 1 receiver right now, probably gets cut by half the teams in the league.

Lmfao. Yeah, Hartline gets cut by half the teams in the league. That's an exaggeration if I've ever heard it. This isn't gonna happen over night bro. We're rebuilding. I have no expectations for this season. Let's just see how it plays out.

Lmfao. Yeah, Hartline gets cut by half the teams in the league. That's an exaggeration if I've ever heard it. This isn't gonna happen over night bro. We're rebuilding. I have no expectations for this season. Let's just see how it plays out.

Rebuilding sure. And that's why it's not the end of the world how crappy the receiving corps are right now. It's just humorous.

Unfortunately though, the stars aren't aligned for this to be a successful rebuilding effort. There's no Matthew Stafford, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck or RGIII on the horizon. We're stuck with Ryan Tannehill, who I don't think will be particularly good. When Ron Jaworski, who never seems to meet a QB prospect he doesn't like -- recall he said that John Beck could turn into the next Kurt Warner -- says that Tannehill has the potential to develop into a "solid" NFL qb, you've got problems.

In any event, I'm fairly zen about the Dolphins this year. I expect nothing from them, so I can't get too wrapped up in things.

Rebuilding sure. And that's why it's not the end of the world how crappy the receiving corps are right now. It's just humorous.

Unfortunately though, the stars aren't aligned for this to be a successful rebuilding effort. There's no Matthew Stafford, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck or RGIII on the horizon. We're stuck with Ryan Tannehill, who I don't think will be particularly good. When Ron Jaworski, who never seems to meet a QB prospect he doesn't like -- recall he said that John Beck could turn into the next Kurt Warner -- says that Tannehill has the potential to develop into a "solid" NFL qb, you've got problems.

In any event, I'm fairly zen about the Dolphins this year. I expect nothing from them, so I can't get too wrapped up in things.

I'm gonna trust that the coaching staff knows a hell of a lot more about Tannehill than Jaworski or any of the other talking heads. Sherman had him at Texas A&M, and when he came on board as OC, had info that the Dolphins steadfastly refused to share with anyone outside the building- other teams, draftniks, talking heads like Jaws. I know this because its on record that the 31 other teams contacted Ireland and asked for this info for draft evaluation purposes. Ireland refused to give access- smart. So I'm just gonna put my feet up and watch the kid develop and trust these people know much more than me or anyone else. Why the hell not? We're so pessimistic about this franchise most of the time, I'm gonna go the other direction this time. For my own health. :P

I'm gonna trust that the coaching staff knows a hell of a lot more about Tannehill than Jaworski or any of the other talking heads. Sherman had him at Texas A&M, and when he came on board as OC, had info that the Dolphins steadfastly refused to share with anyone outside the building- other teams, draftniks, talking heads like Jaws. I know this because its on record that the 31 other teams contacted Ireland and asked for this info for draft evaluation purposes. Ireland refused to give access- smart. So I'm just gonna put my feet up and watch the kid develop and trust these people know much more than me or anyone else. Why the hell not? We're so pessimistic about this franchise most of the time, I'm gonna go the other direction this time. For my own health. :P

I always found the argument in favor of drafting Tannehill because he played for Sherman a bit odd. First, A and M fired Sherman, so I don't know why he's being touted as some knd of genius. Second, just because the O-coordinator has some familiarity with a QB and vice versa does not tell you anything, except maybe the O-coordinator likes the QB. Cam Cameron, a guy who at least knows something about how to run an offense, liked John Beck. Who cares. Can't imagine a Seahawks fan would be jumping for joy if they signed Leinart because Carroll is familiar with him. Also, this stuff about Tannehill being familiar with Sherman's offense. Look being a QB is not rocket science. If you're remotely good enough to make it to the NFL as a QB in any capacity, you should be able to figure out how an offense works. The more important question is the offense that Sherman is bringing any good. He couldn't hack it in college, so I don't know why there's this optimism that it'll work in the NFL.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...