2873 replies to this topic

#2701 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

he outproduced a guy worth 98 millions last season, im sure he has a decent amount of gas left in the tank

If he can keep it going in his later years, I can see him playing until he is 40 or after....just a whim

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#2702 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

Elias is still producing in his old age. I expect him to put up 55-60 at the worst this year, and similar numbers the year after. He will play for another year or 2 after his current deal expires.

I doubt either of these things very much. I think Elias got a huge dose of luck to put up 77 points and that he'll be back down around 50 points per 82 games this season. He's a really smart player but he's not totally ageless.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#2703 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

I doubt either of these things very much. I think Elias got a huge dose of luck to put up 77 points and that he'll be back down around 50 points per 82 games this season. He's a really smart player but he's not totally ageless.

I would be shocked if Elias put up close to 77 points this year. If he plays with Kovalchuk for the most of the year, then I might be wrong, but Elias had the quietest top 10 scoring season ever. It certainly was a little lucky.

My main concern is major drop offs from Elias and Clarkson. Couple that with the loss of Zach and potentially Sykora's 20+ goals, and the Devils need some help up front.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#2704 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

50 is LIGHT YEARS away from the 55-60 I predicted...lol

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#2705 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

D'Alessandro: Don't blame Zach Parise for his decision, it's all business

Things happen fast in this league, to a disturbing degree. Case in point: We had just learned how to spell “Ponikarovsky,” only to find out there is no longer such a need.

Sorry, too soon?

We know you’re in a yeasty frame of mind today, but you had to see this coming. We’re living in an age when money does the talking, when marketing actually governs personnel decisions, and when agents convince their guys there is a five-year window in which they can either seize the spotlight or occupy some lonely address where has-beens are the principle tenants.

Somehow, we all bought into how the Devils were different from all the rest, specifically because Zach Parise told us so — told us that paycheck and environment are secondary concerns to the stuff that really matters.

You heard him, just 21 days ago: “I’ve said all along, I love playing here and I’ve always appreciated everything that this organization has done for me,” he crooned. “My feelings have never changed.”

Until, you know, someone opened Parise’s mind to the reality that there are a dozen better rinks to skate in, with St. Paul pretty much on anybody’s top six list.

http://www.nj.com/de...me_zach_pa.html
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#2706 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

Where do I start? Zach Parise was the complete package. How he handled his exit has me bitter and angry. From his rookie year he was different then all the other rising stars. He didn't have the quickest release, biggest net presence, etc. but he played with tons of heart. Every shift he gave 110% and wasn't afraid to get punished for success. He helped us in many ways. Unfortunately he let the fan base down after saying such positive things about wanting to return and how New Jersey was where he wanted to play and how his number one priority was to get something worked out here no matter what.

"First and foremost, we want to try to get things worked out with New Jersey." - Zach Parise

Apparently money wasn't the issue then what was? Or was Parise just lying to us? I though he wanted to win? Parise said he loves living and playing in New Jersey, Lou said that the offer he gave Parise wasn't problem, couple those with all the comments about how Parise's first priority was to re-sign with New Jersey…shouldn't he of signed then based on what has said time again and again. I see that he wanted to play in his home state. If I was in the NHL and had 6 or 7 dedicated years with Minnesota and I hit UFA and NJ gave me a great offer I would probably leave too to play in my homestate. The thing that bugs me is all "sweet" and "nice" comment Parise made about wanting to return. As the captain of a franchise two wins from its 4th Stanley Cup, he gave us all false hope. He must of knew all along of Minnesota and his dream of playing there. He covered it all up and made us think he was coming back. Thats what bugs me. Thats what irks me beyond believe.

#2707 Deek_1969

Deek_1969

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

Really curious what everyone would say about Marty if Lot didn't pay him and he went to the Habs???
Regardless of how you feel about ZP, there is a huge void to fill. Not sure who Lou could convince to play with the Devils, but he needs to get it done.

IMO.....Kovy has no business wearing the C. Way too many turnovers.....pretty much a defensive nightmare. A leader has to lead by example......bottom line!
[size=5][color=#FF0000]The strong take from the weak and the smart take from the strong.

#2708 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

Really curious what everyone would say about Marty if Lot didn't pay him and he went to the Habs???
Regardless of how you feel about ZP, there is a huge void to fill. Not sure who Lou could convince to play with the Devils, but he needs to get it done.

IMO.....Kovy has no business wearing the C. Way too many turnovers.....pretty much a defensive nightmare. A leader has to lead by example......bottom line!

It would have sucked if Marty left, but I think a lot of people would have felt that he'd earned it after nearly 20 years of loyalty. A lot of people are upset because Zach left at his first chance and after a stressful 4 days of back and forth.

As for Kovy... Leading the team in scoring on the way to the Stanley Cup finals with a debilitating back injury isn't leading by example? That's pretty much the leadership you should want...
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#2709 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

It would have sucked if Marty left, but I think a lot of people would have felt that he'd earned it after nearly 20 years of loyalty. A lot of people are upset because Zach left at his first chance and after a stressful 4 days of back and forth.

As for Kovy... Leading the team in scoring on the way to the Stanley Cup finals with a debilitating back injury isn't leading by example? That's pretty much the leadership you should want...

+1

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#2710 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,235 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

Is this PhillyDev or Chorske17?

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#2711 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

Marty leaving to join the Habs? man....... i would have spend the rest of my life in prison.

www.SterioDesign.com

#2712 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

I coulda swore there was something else in the amendments about how much the salary can drop from one season to the next, but can't find anything to corroborate that. In the end, it doesn't appear that there is anything in Zach or Suter's contracts that circumvents anything in the current CBA or the Kovy-inspired amendment.

People get this wrong a lot... From CapGeek: "It is important to note this does not mean decrease in salary is limited to 50 percent of the prior year's salary. It's 50 percent of the lower of the first two years of the contract." This means Zach's contract can drop up to $6m a season.
Posted Image

#2713 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

if we were to get semin, how awesome would our team photo be with this face

Posted Image

#2714 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

Is this PhillyDev or Chorske17?

2 of the same anti-Kovy idiot...probably the same person

#2715 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

if we were to get semin, how awesome would our team photo be with this face

Posted Image

Skills checklist:

Excellent trollface: check

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#2716 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,178 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

2 of the same anti-Kovy idiot...probably the same person

There are a lot more of them out there then you think. I actually moved my season tickets because I got tired of hearing the bunch of idiots around me yelling Kovalsuck.

#2717 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

There are a lot more of them out there then you think. I actually moved my season tickets because I got tired of hearing the bunch of idiots around me yelling Kovalsuck.

The only idiots STILL saying this are clowns who ripped the trade apart early on and refuse to let go of their painfully obvious wrong view.

#2718 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

I saw a guy at Game 5 of the Cup Finals wearing a modified Kovalsuck shirt. Now maybe he was a Kings fan, but I doubt it.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#2719 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

I saw a guy at Game 5 of the Cup Finals wearing a modified Kovalsuck shirt. Now maybe he was a Kings fan, but I doubt it.

I saw a guy wearing one at a Panther game...

I wanted to throw him down the escalator.

EDIT: A PLAYOFF game vs the Panthers that is

Edited by ThreeCups, 05 July 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#2720 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,070 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

I saw a guy wearing one at a Panther game...

I wanted to throw him down the escalator.

EDIT: A PLAYOFF game vs the Panthers that is

I've sat next to a group of guys who basically spent the entire game sh!tting on kovy the entire game until he scored. They were all cheering then but excused it as "finally living up a little bit to his contract"

It was in section 21

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users