Who do you think the Devils will draft?

Jerzey

Devils 2013 draft selection  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think the Devils will select?

• Sean Monahan
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Nikita Zaradov
    • Hunter Shinkaruk
    • Bo Horvat
    • Curtis Lazar
    • Valeri Nichushkin
    • Darnell Nurse

I'm waiting till I get Hockey Prospect's Black Book (by far the best draft publication imo) and Future Consideration's Draft Guide before I form any final opinions on the prospects. At this moment I think they'll have a shot at getting a solid forward like Monahan, Lindholm, or Shinkaruk - with my bet on Shinkaruk being the one available. I'm not interested in them taking a defenseman because of the depth they already have there. I'm a huge Lazar fan but would only take him if it meant trading back in the 1st round and also acquiring a high 2nd in the process. Nichushkin is intriguing but I'm remaining neutral on him until I read mutliple game reports on him from the scouts at HP and FC. That will make or break my opinion on him.

Really a question for anyone . . . how many spots down do you think the Devils could move in exchange for  a first round pick next year?  If Lou/Conte see a player they really want who will make it to 18 or lower, it might be a possibility.

I'm hoping Conte goes for someone that is a sharpshooter, and opposed to just a good two way player. I don't want to have a team of Travis Zajac's. Someone a lil more "Kessel" like. Wouldn't hurt if he was a lil arrogant too. Not sure of top ten prospects who fits that description.

I'd like to see a Jeff Skinner type. (speed-goods hand around the net.)However, if If Darnell Nurse is still around, he'd be great pick up too.

If you want a good sharpshooter, look at the videos of Monahan and Nichushkin. Those two can snipe from the top of the circles and hit the corners from all angles. Shinkaruk's highlights are mostly of goals tipped, tapped, and maneuvered. He's got a couple of sniper goals, but most of his goals seem to come from within 10 feet.

True story: I actually pulled out this autographed Hunter Shinkaruk jersey card. I had no clue we would be in the running for drafting him. I ended up flipping it for $100 but if I knew what I knew now I might have held onto it...

If you want a good sharpshooter, look at the videos of Monahan and Nichushkin. Those two can snipe from the top of the circles and hit the corners from all angles. Shinkaruk's highlights are mostly of goals tipped, tapped, and maneuvered. He's got a couple of sniper goals, but most of his goals seem to come from within 10 feet.

Shinkrauk sounds like a Parise type of player

Edited by sokar

TSN's draft preview thing said Shinkaruk has a really nice shot, so let's not pigeonhole him as an elite garbageman just because of some Youtube highlights.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/04/20/hunter-shinkaruk-2013-nhl-draft-player-profile-11/

Shinkaruk has  a tremendous wrist shot and excellent release, particularly when coming in on a rush off the left wing.  His shot is very accurate, and heavy, and the release fools goalies leading to the puck being behind them before they know what happened.  He also has a knack for finding the open areas of the ice and taking an excellent one-timer.

Not that any website is right or wrong on things, but there are at least a few people touting that Shinkaruk can really shoot well.

This is the video of Craig Button's take:

at least he dont cost cost 7,5 millions per year aver two decade

No but if he develop into a top player for us how much you think he's gonna get then? thats the reality now if you want top players. is that NJ's plan to try to get the best out of a player until he reach his prime and UFA status and then let him go? haha

Edited by SterioDesign

TSN's draft preview thing said Shinkaruk has a really nice shot, so let's not pigeonhole him as an elite garbageman just because of some Youtube highlights.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/04/20/hunter-shinkaruk-2013-nhl-draft-player-profile-11/

Not that any website is right or wrong on things, but there are at least a few people touting that Shinkaruk can really shoot well.

This is the video of Craig Button's take:

I wouldn't mind another elite garbageman.

im torn between Monahan, Lindholm, Shinkaruk, and even Nichushkin... All of these guys can play the cycle which is huge for us.  

Nichushkin would be fantastic at RW but there's no way he falls to us..

I voted Shinkaruk because he can play the wing, he skates great and is praised for his shot... and well, he may realistically fall.  I would love to draft this guy.

What im scared that happen is that the avs select jones... Then that the next 7 teams pickmall forwards not picking ristolainen or nurse ... So mackinon, drouin, barkov, nichushkin, monahan, shinkaruk, and lindholm are all gone by the time we pick... Seems like theres a drop there... We'd look at gauthier.. Mantha etc etc...

What im scared that happen is that the avs select jones... Then that the next 7 teams pickmall forwards not picking ristolainen or nurse ... So mackinon, drouin, barkov, nichushkin, monahan, shinkaruk, and lindholm are all gone by the time we pick... Seems like theres a drop there... We'd look at gauthier.. Mantha etc etc...

eek. that would be sh!tty.. we literally only need ONE of those 7 teams to not take a forward

Edited by Onddeck

Jim Nill said you basically have the top three, then the next drop isn't until 12 and the next one around 25. So basically 4-12 are interchangeable.

If this draft is as strong as advertised, there are many others on down the line (if indeed Devils really want a fw. Even though we have an overabundance of d men, you almost can't pass on Darnell Nurse or the big Russki. Craig Button early mock draft had us choosing Zadarov.

The only thing I don't like about Shinkaruk (according to Button's assessment) is his lack of physicality

Jim Nill said you basically have the top three, then the next drop isn't until 12 and the next one around 25. So basically 4-12 are interchangeable.

i still see a drop in the forwards after all the guys we've been talking about and Gauthier, Mantha, Domi etc etc

i do really like what i saw of Nurse he seem to be explosive, aggressive and have lots of jumps... which is exactly what larsson is lacking

which bring me to a point... we all looked at videos from all those guys... Nurse for example is a Dman... you can see him carrying the puck and blowing by players and getting in that extra gear and look very dynamic and move aggressively... Thats in him/thats him... we don't have to wait til he's 25 to see that. Same with Larsson, that "way Larsson is playing is going to be the same in 5 years, he's gonna be smarter and better but he won't be faster and more aggressive at all. You come in the league with certain tools and you get better at it. It's not just popping out of the blues suddenly.

i still see a drop in the forwards after all the guys we've been talking about and Gauthier, Mantha, Domi etc etc

i do really like what i saw of Nurse he seem to be explosive, aggressive and have lots of jumps... which is exactly what larsson is lacking

which bring me to a point... we all looked at videos from all those guys... Nurse for example is a Dman... you can see him carrying the puck and blowing by players and getting in that extra gear and look very dynamic and move aggressively... Thats in him/thats him... we don't have to wait til he's 25 to see that. Same with Larsson, that "way Larsson is playing is going to be the same in 5 years, he's gonna be smarter and better but he won't be faster and more aggressive at all. You come in the league with certain tools and you get better at it. It's not just popping out of the blues suddenly.

Skating is something you can work on. Tavares was pretty weak at skating when he was drafted and he's improved significantly. Ill agree that aggressiveness is more just in a players style and that Larsson might never be that, but to say his skating will never be great isnt correct.

Every single year we see someone in the top 10 reach for a guy none of us ever expected.  I just hope it's not Lou deciding now is finally the time to use a high pick to try and replace Marty.  Also, I can't see the Oilers passing on a D-man.   

In the end, I think Nichuskin has a real chance to fall a little.  If he's there at 7 and the Oilers really are looking at D, it shouldn't cost us too much to jump up and get him.   

Skating is something you can work on. Tavares was pretty weak at skating when he was drafted and he's improved significantly. Ill agree that aggressiveness is more just in a players style and that Larsson might never be that, but to say his skating will never be great isnt correct.

well i didnt said anything about Larsson's skating really? its more about strength than skills to have jumps and an extra gear and jumps

Highlight videos for defensemen show nothing.  The ability to do that is nice, but it shows nothing about Nurse's ability to make the safe play, or how he defends against a 2 on 2, etc., and it's that stuff that wins and loses hockey games.  

Larsson is never going to be a fast defenseman, but there are plenty of Hall of Fame defensemen who aren't fast.

Every single year we see someone in the top 10 reach for a guy none of us ever expected.  I just hope it's not Lou deciding now is finally the time to use a high pick to try and replace Marty.  Also, I can't see the Oilers passing on a D-man.   

In the end, I think Nichuskin has a real chance to fall a little.  If he's there at 7 and the Oilers really are looking at D, it shouldn't cost us too much to jump up and get him.   

You could definitely make a case for Nichushkin falling to 8-9. There are several teams drafting early this year that probably feel that they could win now. Carolina, Tampa Bay, and posssibly even Edmonton may not be interested in Nichushkin for that reason. Although lately, it seems like every year is that year for Edmonton.

It then just becomes a matter of whether Buffalo and Calgary are more likely to draft defense. Calgary seems to need immediate help on offense and long-term help on defense. I worry that if Nichushkin is available at 8, he's going to Buffalo though.

Highlight videos for defensemen show nothing.  The ability to do that is nice, but it shows nothing about Nurse's ability to make the safe play, or how he defends against a 2 on 2, etc., and it's that stuff that wins and loses hockey games.  

Larsson is never going to be a fast defenseman, but there are plenty of Hall of Fame defensemen who aren't fast.

i never said Nurse was going to be better or anything i used him as an example of the kind of players he is and the tools he has, you don't necessarily need it just like a forward doesnt necessarely need the heaviest shot. But it's still a good tool to have and Larsson doesnt have it. Thats all.

why is malking so good? fast, unreal hands, super strong, good skater, good shot, precise, smart etc etc.... he's that good because he has all that. Take away his size, speed and skating... he'd still be good but not as good. 

Edited by SterioDesign

nobody likes Lazar? sure hes a year younger but then you realize hes 6' 190 with room to grow, good on the cycle is in his scouting report.

his report reads like devils material. edit: according to the little ive seen, which is why i ask.

Edited by lazer

It's not unfathomable that a couple of Lindholm/Shinkaruk/Monahan/Nichuskin fall to us. We know Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin and Barkov will be taken early. However, a team in front of us could fall in love with a forward like Lazar or Domi then you have dmen like Ristolainen, Nurse, Zadorov, etc. 

It's not unfathomable that a couple of Lindholm/Shinkaruk/Monahan/Nichuskin fall to us. We know Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin and Barkov will be taken early. However, a team in front of us could fall in love with a forward like Lazar or Domi then you have dmen like Ristolainen, Nurse, Zadorov, etc. 

like NO ONE expected the Jets to pick Scheifele 7th overall 2 years ago. he was projected to go around 15