Rangers fans

mouse

I try not to feed the fire of Rags hate here too much, especially when it's just sour grapes after a crappy season, but I had to post this conversation from work somewhere.

Me and one of the cool Rags fans were talking about Marty, and basically came to an agreement that he's the best ever, but is probably washed up. Another Rags fan butted in and this ensued:

Idiot Rags fan: I think Messier is the best ever.

Me: Goalie?

Idiot Rags fan: Yeah. I loved the 90s. We kicked the Devils' ass all the time.

Why are these people allowed to own TVs and go out in public?

• Like 1

Well in fairness, the Rangers did have our number in the playoffs in the 90s. Not that a guy who thinks Messier was a goalie would know that, but 3 times in one decade they knocked us out of the postseason.

YEah and so did Carolina... fvck I hate CArolina so much

Didn't we beat the Rags like 22 times in a row during the 90's?

I believe we either won or tied 23 straight games against them between the late 90's and early 2000's.

That douche probably also loved the 90's because he thinks his acid wash jeans and his Iroc Z with the purple running lights he had custom installed were popular. 

Didn't we beat the Rags like 22 times in a row during the 90's?

It was unbeaten streak and it was 23 if I remember.  Therfore that included ties.  I believe it was from about 1998 to 2001 or 2002.

I swear if the Rangers didn't have "New York" in front of their name they would have a fraction of the fans that they have now.  Having that and two full stations devoted to worshipping Dolan-owned teams (Knicks and Rangers) makes it easy to be bandwagon.

There were a fair number of ties in there during that streak IIRC, but it was still impressive nonetheless...and fun!

As far as the BALANCE of the 90s go...it was close.  Rangers beat the Devils in the playoffs in '92, '94, and '97.  In '92, they were very clearly the better team, but the Devils managed to take them to seven games...in '94, they were about as close as two teams could get, but the Rangers were very slightly better.  '97 was the most disappointing of the 90s playoff losses by far.

But yeah, you've got your fair share of goofus Ranger fans, no question.  And some cool ones too...but man you have to sift through a LOT of goofuses to get to 'em. 

Unfortunately, the loudest Rangers fans are the dumbest least knowledgable (kinda goes for most sports, right?)... Older Rangers fans (40-50+) know their role and know how much time can pass between Championship-winning seasons. Younger Rangers fans only know the Sean Avery "fatso" era and, CONVENIENTLY, anything after the Devils' dominance of this area. That's mostly why last year's ECF win was so sweet, it put the reality check on a whole lot of young Rangers fans that have somehow developed the theory over the past 10 years that somehow they're the superior organization. If you watch MSG summer programming over and over again, you might get as brainwashed of that as they are.

The way they mouth off, you'd think the Rangers were the Yankees and the Devils were the Mets...

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

There were a fair number of ties in there during that streak IIRC, but it was still impressive nonetheless...and fun!

As far as the BALANCE of the 90s go...it was close.  Rangers beat the Devils in the playoffs in '92, '94, and '97.  In '92, they were very clearly the better team, but the Devils managed to take them to seven games...in '94, they were about as close as two teams could get, but the Rangers were very slightly better.  '97 was the most disappointing of the 90s playoff losses by far.

But yeah, you've got your fair share of goofus Ranger fans, no question.  And some cool ones too...but man you have to sift through a LOT of goofuses to get to 'em. 

1997 irks me the most. Idiotic crease rule, Richter standing on his head

And that stupid Richter "barehanded save" that wasn't even a fvcking save. In fact he just swept the puck with his left hand and almost directly to a Devil. It was a Rag defenseman who cleared the puck away

Brodeur leaving his five hole wide open AND missing the poke check on a wraparound play that took about 5 years to develop. That might've been his softest ever.

Generally, I always think of the 35 and under Rags crowd as being an army of Nick Swisher clones nyr_052112_312.jpg?w=600&h=445

Edited by '7'

I was outside sitting at a table at a bar called Moore's in Freehold tonight and knew the game was on. I was planning on going inside with Mrs. Leeds to celebrate a friends birthday but when we got there they were at these tables outside. So I knew the game was in OT and as I was leaving a couple of Rag$ fans were leaving from the inside. I asked how did it go and they said, "Not good"..........and being the douche I am, I laughed in their faces and said it's over Sunday. God I HATE them

I was outside sitting at a table at a bar called Moore's in Freehold tonight and knew the game was on. I was planning on going inside with Mrs. Leeds to celebrate a friends birthday but when we got there they were at these tables outside. So I knew the game was in OT and as I was leaving a couple of Rag$ fans were leaving from the inside. I asked how did it go and they said, "Not good"..........and being the douche I am, I laughed in their faces and said it's over Sunday. God I HATE them

Lmfao, right on Jimmy. I love it. I would've done the same thing.

Rangers fans.. fvck them.

You wanna hear delusional? Here's a comment from a brain-dead Rag$ fan.

"Any pathetic team with past "glories" that nobody cares about, is the Devils.  One time, I went to a Devils vs. Senators game with a friend who had an extra ticket and it was horrible.  First, the desperate season ticket sales team tried to trick us into thinking we'd won a prize, so they could try to sell us season tickets and we laughed in their faces.  Then, we went to watch the game and there were cheerleaders dancing around on the mid-level during the game.  I sh!t you not: Cheerleaders at a hockey game.  Then, we tried to watch the game and fell asleep as the Devils tried to play the trap for 60 minutes straight and were defeated by the Sens rather handily.  At least we didn't have any trouble leaving from the game, because there were probably only about 5000 fans in the entire arena, if that.  And the beer line was short for the same reason, so the Devils had that going for them.  It was a nice arena, though.  It still looked brand new, because nobody ever visits it.  "

Can't get anymore delusional than that.

Moronic fans wear all colors.  I remember wearing my Devils t-shirt around town before game 1 of last year's SCF and a "Devils" fan stopped me on the street and started talking to me about how the team didn't do very well this season and how Broduer should retire.   When I told them we were in the finals and that Marty was playing great, all he could come up with was:  "really?".

It just comes down to people don't know what the hell theyre talking about.. Enless its a true fan who follows the sport and team almost game by game theyre out of the loop and dont know..how could they. I hate ranger fans just as much as the next guy theyre almost all jerk offs.. But what can ya do, ill fell alot better about myself and the devils after theyre eliminated by the caps.

Moronic fans wear all colors.  I remember wearing my Devils t-shirt around town before game 1 of last year's SCF and a "Devils" fan stopped me on the street and started talking to me about how the team didn't do very well this season and how Broduer should retire.   When I told them we were in the finals and that Marty was playing great, all he could come up with was:  "really?".

Unfortunately, the loudest Rangers fans are the dumbest least knowledgable (kinda goes for most sports, right?)... Older Rangers fans (40-50+) know their role and know how much time can pass between Championship-winning seasons. Younger Rangers fans only know the Sean Avery "fatso" era and, CONVENIENTLY, anything after the Devils' dominance of this area. That's mostly why last year's ECF win was so sweet, it put the reality check on a whole lot of young Rangers fans that have somehow developed the theory over the past 10 years that somehow they're the superior organization. If you watch MSG summer programming over and over again, you might get as brainwashed of that as they are.

The way they mouth off, you'd think the Rangers were the Yankees and the Devils were the Mets...

I find that I kringe anytime you mention "John MacLean" around younger Devils fans.  3 disasterous months suddenly whipeout a more than solid NHL career full of giant moments for the Devils franchise.  You wonder what Bucky Dent's and Lou Pinella's reputations would be like in NY if social media exhisted when they both managed some of the most god-awful Yankees teams to ever play in the 80's and early 90's.

Just remember the Devils are golfing and please don't blame the injuries. So the guy screwed up.

Which is part of what me and the cool fan were talking about (and I wasn't talking sh!t), until idiot fan felt the need to butt in. Also, calling Messier a goalie is a pretty big screw up.

@ MSG 2011. Rangers Senators game. Two fans behind me...and I sh!t you not.

"yeah yeah, I agree. Dubinsky and Callahan are way more talented than Kovalchuk. He is the biggest bust in the NHL" ...something along those lines.

:kill:

Hell of a game to be at for a Devil fan though, epic collapse. http://video.rangers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20112012,2,140〈=en

Edited by Zubie#8

We should just make this the official "Rant about Rangers fans" thread so everyone can blow off some steam in one common area, and fellow Devils fans can come enjoy the stories lol

Yesterday my Rags fan buddy was tweeting some other guy and 2 great points came out of that:

1 - The guy he was tweeting claimed to be watching the Islanders game 6 last night at a bar near some Devils fans who were saying that they couldn't understand why it wasn't 4 on 4 and there wasn't a shootout

Right, because after last season's run any Devils fan wouldn't remember the rules of OT

2 - They were joking back and forth as to how "bitter" Devils fans are about the Rangers. Bitter? About what, being the better franchise since 1995? Sure our fan base really hates the Rangers, but "bitter" is chanting Potvin Sucks how many decades later

As a side note, if you ever want a good story about stupid Ranger fans just go to a Ranger game at the Rock.. Those Rags fans only watch live hockey 3 times a year max (in our building of course since MSG couldn't care less about pricing them out) and know only what the MSG Network force-feeds them lol

Checklist for a Rangers fan in an argument:

Devils are only good because they have Brodeur, Brodeur is only good because he is on the Devils...mind=blown
Brodeur is fat.
"50-50 brah, sea of blue, MSG west."

Sean Avery
Devils don't sell out a lot. oh darn, gotta cross that one off
Have fun getting shot in Newark, we have a real city.
We have better attendance.
Devils are bankrupt. oh darn, they got their finances in order

Kovalsuck...Kovalchoke

Devil fans have an inferiority complex

Devils fans checklist when needed:

Three cups since 1994.
Only missed playoffs 3 times in the last 22 seasons.
Played in 33% of the Stanley Cups since 1995.

...and yet they feel they are superior.

Edited by Zubie#8

I find that I kringe anytime you mention "John MacLean" around younger Devils fans.  3 disasterous months suddenly whipeout a more than solid NHL career full of giant moments for the Devils franchise.  You wonder what Bucky Dent's and Lou Pinella's reputations would be like in NY if social media exhisted when they both managed some of the most god-awful Yankees teams to ever play in the 80's and early 90's.

Stop mentioning his coaching tenure. It hurts me so... Some people who are my age(23), don't recall Johnny Mac as a devil, having departed in 98, so his coaching tenure is all they remember about him, but he was my favorite growing up and the coaching thing doesn't change my opinion of him as Devil.