Volchenkov Hit had it been Daneyko...

Mitico12

We saw Volchenkov take a hard hit from Matthias. Had Daneyko taken that same hit, and sustained "lascerations," would he have come back for the 2nd period?

Just a fun topic to discuss...

Let's chat away...

Not a fun topic, trainers often times won't let players return these days. You risk damaging a valuable asset. It is also clear you don't know half the story.

do you really think that this is some player who can't play with pain or are you commenting on the era? volchenkov is one of the toughest guys in the league. he's fragile in that he gets hurt a fair amount but they're legit injuries. this guy isn't sitting out because of a hangnail.

by the way - it's not the facial cuts that kept him out. it was the whiplash to his neck that did. if you recall, the took a puck in the face earlier this year, got 12 stitches to his face and was back out there.

volchenkov is one of the toughest guys in the league. he's fragile in that he gets hurt a fair amount but they're legit injuries. this guy isn't sitting out because of a hangnail.

dito this and i think its unfair to put him up against Dano in one instance and even era's its different

this should be added for the people for the people who need a second look

do you really think that this is some player who can't play with pain or are you commenting on the era? volchenkov is one of the toughest guys in the league. he's fragile in that he gets hurt a fair amount but they're legit injuries. this guy isn't sitting out because of a hangnail.

by the way - it's not the facial cuts that kept him out. it was the whiplash to his neck that did. if you recall, the took a puck in the face earlier this year, got 12 stitches to his face and was back out there.

I was referring to the "era" of hockey and how Dano would compare...

Define charging? More than 3 strides? He deliberately skated in from the blueline to hit the Tank up high.

Just sayin'. Maybe I misunderstand the rule.

I didn't notice that when I saw it last night, but looking at it again here, you can definitely see him lock on target from the blue line. Usually a player will take those strides, then glide into the check, but he seemed to take 3 or 4 strides right up to when he hit Volchenkov. Charging is a very undercalled penalty. I see it happen, not often, but it does happen and it seems it rarely gets called for some reason.

Would Dano have played? I don't know. We need to remember it's November. I think in April/May/June Volchenkov doesn't miss a shift. In November, it's more important to keep his back healthy for the long haul. Whether it hurt us in that game doesn't matter.

After seeing the clip I agree with Shanahan not suspending him. The injury/cut that Volchenkov experienced was due to the fall to the ice, not the hit.

That said, it should have been a penalty for charging.

Giving Kovalchuk a penalty for running into Matthias and falling down should be an embarrassment to the official that called it.

Edited by Exit56