Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

I'm submitting R&R Pt. 2 as my suggestion, and I hope it's the one with the most votes, they better show the results, cause I know they won't play it anyways. I think this was a dumb move by the organization, the song will make its way back eventually, no doubt..

That's like voting for a crappy third-party candidate...what's the point, other than a symbolic protest?  They made it crystal clear with what they said RR2 isn't coming back, and they finally did what they should have done during the preseason and be up-front about it and involve the fans in its replacement.

I'm submitting R&R Pt. 2 as my suggestion, and I hope it's the one with the most votes, they better show the results, cause I know they won't play it anyways. I think this was a dumb move by the organization, the song will make its way back eventually, no doub

No, it won't.  They've made that clear.  Stop thinking of this as some battle you're going to win, or as some kind of battle, period.    

The initial approach was clearly an epic fail, but now they're leaving the song choice up to us, so to blame the Devils for whatever happens now isn't really fair.

I'm hardly clean-mouthed myself...I don't curse in front of children or in select other situations, but I let the f-bombs and other goodies fly and fly a lot.  I am pretty hard to offend.  So on that level, I couldn't care less about the "you suck" thing (though I was never a participant in that part of it myself...I stopped at "Hey!").  But I am surprised that some people seem to think it's so important to keep "you suck" going, no matter what...almost like it's life-or-death somehow.       

Agreed...I can't blame the fans for the intial reaction on Opening Night after being blindsided, but they did something they didn't really 'have' to do by involving the fans in the choice.  Well common sense says they should have involved the fans from the beginning because of how unpopular this was going to be even if they weren't contractually obligated to do so.  Now it's on us as to what happens next.  If too many people waste protest votes on R&R2 you might have the teeny-boppers select something that'll really be crappy.  If the crowd boos ostensibly a fan choice after being told in no uncertain terms the song's gone for good then shame on them.

Just scanning FB with posts about this news, a lot of people are flipping out over this.  However about 85-90% who are flipping out over it are in the 27 and under crowd, so this is definitely a generational thing.  Hell just reading in between the lines from the statement on the link I posted alluded to this as well.

Some are threating to even cancel their season tickets over this.  This is how much a chant of "you suck" means to these people.

Yet when the Devils have failed to hold a STH perk, the VIP pass to the equipment sale, for 2 years in a row which is part of the package they paid money for, the uproar was not nearly as big as this.  Says a lot about this fanbase and its priorities.

The STH perk didn't affect the entire fanbase, just those who selected it.  Maybe a couple thousand people selected that, hundreds of thousands go to games every year.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Agreed...I can't blame the fans for the intial reaction on Opening Night after being blindsided, but they did something they didn't really 'have' to do by involving the fans in the choice.  Well common sense says they should have involved the fans from the beginning because of how unpopular this was going to be even if they weren't contractually obligated to do so.  Now it's on us as to what happens next.  If too many people waste protest votes on R&R2 you might have the teeny-boppers select something that'll really be crappy.  If the crowd boos after being told in no uncertain terms the song's gone for good then shame on them.

The STH perk didn't affect the entire fanbase, just those who selected it.

Still I would expect more of an uproar from fans about not getting something they paid for rather than something that plays every game (well almost unfortunately) for free.

Again it's all about the 27 and under crowd not being able to chant "you suck" during goal celebrations

Just scanning FB with posts about this news, a lot of people are flipping out over this.  However about 85-90% who are flipping out over it are in the 27 and under crowd, so this is definitely a generational thing.  Hell just reading in between the lines from the statement on the link I posted alluded to this as well.

Some are threating to even cancel their season tickets over this.  This is how much a chant of "you suck" means to these people.

Yet when the Devils have failed to hold a STH perk, the VIP pass to the equipment sale, for 2 years in a row which is part of the package they paid money for, the uproar was not nearly as big as this.  Says a lot about this fanbase and its priorities.

It's almost like you're on a mission to rip into young people because of this. What is your problem with younger fans?

Our fans are not any more stupid, immature, etc than any other fanbase. Every place on this planet is filled to the brim with morons. It's not NJ, it's people.

I'm 23 and at one point, I chanted "you suck". It seriously lost it's appeal after maybe a year or so(that year being 2010 where we sucked constantly and it was embarrassing to yell "you suck" when you're down 800-1), I'm over it, I haven't chanted it since, but I do really like R&R Pt2 as the goal song and I think most of the fanbase does, no matter whether they participate in the chant or not. You make it out like everyone who wants to keep the song is 20 years old and is the stereotypical drunk college a$$hole.

Are younger people going to tend to be more immature? Yes, but it doesn't take a fvcking scientist to figure that out. They are, by definition, less mature than older people.

It's almost like you're on a mission to rip into young people because of this. What is your problem with younger fans?

Our fans are not any more stupid, immature, etc than any other fanbase. Every place on this planet is filled to the brim with morons. It's not NJ, it's people.

I'm 23 and at one point, I chanted "you suck". It seriously lost it's appeal after maybe a year or so(that year being 2010 where we sucked constantly and it was embarrassing to yell "you suck" when you're down 800-1), I'm over it, I haven't chanted it since, but I do really like R&R Pt2 as the goal song and I think most of the fanbase does, no matter whether they participate in the chant or not. You make it out like everyone who wants to keep the song is 20 years old and is the stereotypical drunk college a$$hole.

Are younger people going to tend to be more immature? Yes, but it doesn't take a fvcking scientist to figure that out. They are, by definition, less mature than older people.

There are other young fan bases in the league, but other than Nashville they are not yelling "you suck" after every goal.

Again I love R&R pt 2 as our goal song, but the fact is its become less about the goal song as a celebration and more of an excuse to chant "you suck" to the other team.  Just look at the comments on FB and twitter and their ages as to who are whining the most.  I am not doing this to stick it to an age group but the fact is most in that age group just want it to do the dumb chant.  Like CR1976 and I have said before, if the Devils said they can have R&R pt 2 back just promise to stop with the you suck chant, there would be an uproar and at least 80% would tell the Devils to go to hell.

The thing is, the fans will find another way to chant it anyway, so I agree, it is about the chant, but if fans are going to chant it anyway, then why not just bring the song back? Honestly, the Devils aren't going to kick out the fans for these "chants." There's many more than just "you suck."

Edited by NJDEVS1730

There are other young fan bases in the league, but other than Nashville they are not yelling "you suck" after every goal.

Again I love R&R pt 2 as our goal song, but the fact is its become less about the goal song as a celebration and more of an excuse to chant "you suck" to the other team.  Just look at the comments on FB and twitter and their ages as to who are whining the most.  I am not doing this to stick it to an age group but the fact is most in that age group just want it to do the dumb chant.  Like CR1976 and I have said before, if the Devils said they can have R&R pt 2 back just promise to stop with the you suck chant, there would be an uproar and at least 80% would tell the Devils to go to hell.

Ever read the comments on a yahoo article? The internet can be a crazy place in that way. It's insane of course, but the internet always goes nuts like this, it's par for the course. Twitter had people raging out over an Indian-American Miss America, calling her a terrorist. Is this really the place you think most level headed, normal fans are giving feedback?

I'll answer that for you: No. These are just the loud idiots of the group because they're the only one's who are going nuts enough over this to post like that. I want RR pt2 to stay, but I'm not about to go nuts on the NJ Devils fbook page telling them about it. Does anyone even look at that page? Would it really make a difference if I posted? No, so I'm not gonna bother.

I seriously doubt it's 80% that would outright reject any deal. I'm a firm believer that nothing is original, so if I think this way, there's at least a few other that do as well. I'd be willing to bet that if they offered up a few bucks on a food and drink card, 75% of the crowd never says you suck again. And at the rate this team is going, they're going to handing out discounts to everyone soon, so might as well give the STH a deal, right?

All they gotta do is say that STH will get the card/discount/bribe/wtv after a period of 2 weeks or like 5 home games where the chant is not heard.

Ever read the comments on a yahoo article? The internet can be a crazy place in that way. It's insane of course, but the internet always goes nuts like this, it's par for the course. Twitter had people raging out over an Indian-American Miss America, calling her a terrorist. Is this really the place you think most level headed, normal fans are giving feedback?

I'll answer that for you: No. These are just the loud idiots of the group because they're the only one's who are going nuts enough over this to post like that. I want RR pt2 to stay, but I'm not about to go nuts on the NJ Devils fbook page telling them about it. Does anyone even look at that page? Would it really make a difference if I posted? No, so I'm not gonna bother.

I seriously doubt it's 80% that would outright reject any deal. I'm a firm believer that nothing is original, so if I think this way, there's at least a few other that do as well. I'd be willing to bet that if they offered up a few bucks on a food and drink card, 75% of the crowd never says you suck again. And at the rate this team is going, they're going to handing out discounts to everyone soon, so might as well give the STH a deal, right?

All they gotta do is say that STH will get the card/discount/bribe/wtv after a period of 2 weeks or like 5 home games where the chant is not heard.

The Devils shouldn't have to bribe fans to stop chanting it.  That's silly and I think Red Bulls are silly for offering it to their fans.  It's this whole "you can't restrict my rights!" people who go nuts over this thing.  It's your right to chant whatever you want at the stadium, but it is THEIR stadium. (Edit: Not directing this last statement to you specifically)

Edited by DevsMan84

In fairness, I don't think he means EVERYONE who is 27 and under. 

I like R&R Part 2 as well, but to dwell on its being killed is pointless (not saying you specifically are dwelling on it, just in general).  The one thing I will say about SOME (not ALL) young people is that a lot of them don't realize that they're not always going to get their own way.  They don't own the Devils.  They don't get to say, "We want R&R Part 2, we'll make them bring it back!"  The Devils made it crystal-clear that R&R Part is never ever coming back, and the reasons why.  They are at least showing a willingness to let fans of all ages pick something else.

The thing is, the fans will find another way to chant it anyway, so I agree, it is about the chant, but if fans are going to chant it anyway, then why not just bring the song back? Honestly, the Devils aren't going to kick out the fans for these "chants." There's many more than just "you suck."

Crazy thought, maybe they're actually thinking that fans will get over the "you suck" thing and that they're not so obsessed with it that they will be dreaming up ways to say it, just because.  Maybe the Devils dare to dream that such an idea is possible.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It's not a realistic thing to ask though...if they did that, is one person chanting 'you suck' going to be too many in that instance?  Ten? Fifty?  How do you legislate how much is too much to get it perma-banned since there's always going to be a handful of yahoos that'll do it no matter what?

It's not a realistic thing to ask though...if they did that, is one person chanting 'you suck' going to be too many in that instance?  Ten? Fifty?  How do you legislate how much is too much to get it perma-banned since there's always going to be a handful of yahoos that'll do it no matter what?

True it is not realistic, but it's an example of what the true feelings are about the song and why people really want it back

The equipment sale is a waste of time unless you play.   You just sit in a massive line to dig through junk.

The song is part of the in game experience.   It is what it is.    As for the age group, well, that's who they're bringing in upstairs on cheaper ST.   So pissing off that base will have a much bigger effect on the bottom line than not throwing a pile of used sticks on the floor of the practice rink will.

The equipment sale is a waste of time unless you play.   You just sit in a massive line to dig through junk.

The song is part of the in game experience.   It is what it is.    As for the age group, well, that's who they're bringing in upstairs on cheaper ST.   So pissing off that base will have a much bigger effect on the bottom line than not throwing a pile of used sticks on the floor of the practice rink will.

If people stop going to hockey games because they change the goal song... just wow

If people stop going to hockey games because they change the goal song... just wow

Not the song, the atmosphere.   During the playoffs and for most of last season, they had actual home ice advantage for the first time since when.... like 1997 or something?   Why would you fvck with it?   Couple that with a bad team and some other things and their retention rate will tank.    

Then you send out PR stuff bringing up "feelings" and such.   My god, it's like they're purposely trying to make people go away.

Please vote for this song!

Start at 45 seconds.

I believe this is something the crowd can get fully into!

Thoughts?

Seven Nation Army?  Italy's chant during the 2006 Word Cup....Siam' Campioni Del Monndo!

Not the song, the atmosphere.   During the playoffs and for most of last season, they had actual home ice advantage for the first time since when.... like 1997 or something?   Why would you fvck with it?   Couple that with a bad team and some other things and their retention rate will tank.    

Then you send out PR stuff bringing up "feelings" and such.   My god, it's like they're purposely trying to make people go away.

Pretty sure home ice advantage has little to do with noise and more to do with referees/having last change.

Please vote for this song!

Start at 45 seconds.

I believe this is something the crowd can get fully into!

Thoughts?

Shoot me now. Sounds like what you do when you first figure out how to make weird effects on a keyboard. Not a fan of electronic music.

Edited by ATLL765