Devils keeping 2012 first rd pick - Official

ghdi

Just because drafting goalies is the biggest crapshoot. (Admittedly, I'm making this statement without the benefit of any kind of statistical analysis). I'm also of the belief that you can still compete for a championship with a goalie that's good enough. You also only carry two on the team at any given time, so there's even less of chance of a drafted goalie having a great impact. Other teams seem to be coming around to this line of thinking, so goalies tend to fall in the draft also.

No, this is all true.

4 goalies who played last year in the NHL were drafted in the same round in the same NHL draft. Of course, that was the 9th round of the 1994 draft: Tim Thomas, Evgeni Nabokov, Johan Hedberg, and Tim Thomas.

No, this is all true.

4 goalies who played last year in the NHL were drafted in the same round in the same NHL draft. Of course, that was the 9th round of the 1994 draft: Tim Thomas, Evgeni Nabokov, Johan Hedberg, and Tim Thomas.

Not to mention the low draft positions of Quick, Holtby, Lunqvist, Rinne, Mike Smith, and that's just off the top of my head.

Not to mention the low draft positions of Quick, Holtby, Lunqvist, Rinne, Mike Smith, and that's just off the top of my head.

Hopefully we can be as lucky as those franchises in the later rounds. What are the expectations of Wedgewood? Does he have a legit shot making the team this year? Man I already can't wait for the season again :)!

Hopefully we can be as lucky as those franchises in the later rounds. What are the expectations of Wedgewood? Does he have a legit shot making the team this year? Man I already can't wait for the season again :)!

They won't throw a 19 year old into the NHL. Wedgewood is going to have to do his time in the ECHL or AHL first. My guess is they will start him in the ECHL to see how he does since they already have Frazee and Kinkaid at the AHL level. I don't think the Devils want to bring up Kinkaid yet, either.

I assume you've been hit on the head recently.

Nope, towards the end of the 1st round you have mostly 3rd liners. These two goaltenders are two of the better in the last group of years. This pick should be used on a goaltender whether it is drafting or trading for one. Our offensive and defensive core are set for a foreseeable future.

I actually like Vasilevski from what little I have seen of him. I'm not sure on Subban. He may be the more athletic of the two, but a lot of reports say he's incredibly raw and will likely require quite a bit of time and work. I think if his last name was Walters or something, he'd probably not be as high.

Either way, if we decided to keep this pick, I think it's a pretty good indication Lou and Conte are targeting somebody in particular or a couple of players they want at the very least.

I don't want Bernier from the Kings as I don't like goalies that are under six feet. Schnieder is a pipe-dream as Vancouver seems to be deciding on using him going forward and any trade price would be too ridiculous and costly. Only team that has a goalie or prospect that I can think of potentially for trade is Ottawa.

Nope, towards the end of the 1st round you have mostly 3rd liners. These two goaltenders are two of the better in the last group of years. This pick should be used on a goaltender whether it is drafting or trading for one. Our offensive and defensive core are set for a foreseeable future.

Yes, Subban had a .930 SV% in the OHL, but he played 37 games. If he goes back to .910 next year, that pick sure looks awful foolish, doesn't it?

I just hate the idea of a goalie in the 1st round, categorically. It's just too likely that the player is of absolutely no use.

Yes, Subban had a .930 SV% in the OHL, but he played 37 games. If he goes back to .910 next year, that pick sure looks awful foolish, doesn't it?

I just hate the idea of a goalie in the 1st round, categorically. It's just too likely that the player is of absolutely no use.

Just as HS kids in the 1st round statistically makes no sense in MLB, sometimes you need to take a risky pick to compete. If NJ took the safe route in 1990 and took Smolinski how much different do they look...you can't count on an even flukier 7th round pick to get a star goaltender cost controlled.

How much risk is there when comparing it to a potential 3rd liner. It's nearly a 2nd round pick in a weak draft...jeeze it isn't a top 10 pick.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Keeping the pick may actually be a "posturing" move by Lamoriello. By giving up the pick, its like showing your hand in poker. Maybe Lamoriello wants to see what's out there at this year's draft, and on top of that, use it as a negotiation tool with Parise.

Tough to convince your best forward to stay when you gave up your 1st round draft pick without even seeing what's out there.

Ummm... what? The draft is in a couple weeks. All the GMs and scouting departments should already "know what's out there". And it's not like they can get to the draft, sit through the first round, decide they don't like anyone left, and forfeit the pick on the spot.

I have to think that Lou's got some master plan here. Either he's got his eye on someone that he thinks will still be available at #29 or he has a trade up his sleeve. Either way, it seems he feels he can get enough value from this pick to justify possibly losing a higher pick later on.

You know, I just had a thought... maybe the language of the forfeiture order allows him to retroactively turn in a pick? Like, he can decide next year that he really wanted to give up this year's pick and he's willing to lose the rights to the player in the process? Then again, it wouldn't be wise to try and pull the wool over the league's eyes given the nature of the situation.

My hunch is Lou has an idea that he wants to move a player and he's using the pick as part of a deal.

It's a high pick, but it's still a first rounder.

I foresee a trade as well. For some odd reason I believe it will be Lehner. Ottawa sort of blocked him this season.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

I found It

Oscar Dansk is the one the devils will draft believe me!

an article about him

http://thehockeywriters.com/oscar-dansk-the-next-ones-2012-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-dansk-ing-his-way-to-the-nhl/

This kid is the one big size with quick pad movement and composure in the net....

Remember this post and at the draft tell me i was right

Edited by caron14