The Schneider and Marty disparity.

Mike Brown

What is your theory as to why there is such a difference regarding the goal support for both guys?

Honestly, I can only come up with the theory that based on the games I've watched, the team plays a lot more aggressively with Marty in net than they do Schneider.  Also I don't think the chemistry with Schneider is quite there yet.  The defensemen know that Schneider can't control rebounds or handle the puck as well as Marty does, so they're forced to play a little more tentatively.  Overall they just seem more confident as a group when Marty is in net.

All I know is Cory deserves to start against the Sharks after that performance. 

That will be an interesting call for sure. 

Cory is now 5th in GAA (1.87) and 11th in save% (.925)

Marty is 7th in GAA (2.06) and 21st in save% (.915) 

Admittedly, right now it's great to not really feel the need to question the decision either way.  Both guys have been doing their jobs nicely. 

I don't make anything about the record split...it's simply too small a sample to draw any conclusions.  I don't think the team tries any harder in front of one guy or feels out-of-sync with the other.  The Devils are just an inconsistent team on offense to date, and unfortunately Cory has started most of the games where the Devils couldn't put it home. 

Last night you could really see how much our defend mend struggle behind their own net against the kings forecheck. This is where Marty clearly gives you an advantage in his puck handling by breaking the forcheck and transitioning into the nuetralzone.

Not saying that accounts for the lack of goal scoring but it sure helps cut the difference in shot ratios.

It's just coincidence; people are making this a bigger deal than it really is.

this just chill out.. just the way the wind is bowing sort of say.. martys handling can play a roll but not that big of a roll as last night i think they were just tired and the kings are a big powerful team that was successful at not letting them be dominant in their end.

it's the same problem this team has had with all these new forwards being slapped into this team, given a few pre-season games and an expected "let's go" mindset....it doesn't work, think of all the new guys brought in.... Jagr, Ryder, Brunner...all the lines that have had chemistry issues.....this team simply has to learn and get used to each other (I see it every season in my ice league....they slap 5-8 new players on our team and I'm supposed to figure out how all this crap works)....this team as a whole is more used to mb30 back there, so its simply a comfort factor and gonna take more time for this team to adapt and mesh to the new goalie.... at least the defense is mostly unchanged and the goalie is putting up AWESOME numbers in the process....but this stuff takes time.....

• Like 1

it's the same problem this team has had with all these new forwards being slapped into this team, given a few pre-season games and an expected "let's go" mindset....it doesn't work, think of all the new guys brought in.... Jagr, Ryder, Brunner...all the lines that have had chemistry issues.....this team simply has to learn and get used to each other (I see it every season in my ice league....they slap 5-8 new players on our team and I'm supposed to figure out how all this crap works)....this team as a whole is more used to mb30 back there, so its simply a comfort factor and gonna take more time for this team to adapt and mesh to the new goalie.... at least the defense is mostly unchanged and the goalie is putting up AWESOME numbers in the process....but this stuff takes time.....

That's what makes the 9-8-5 record impressive, under the circumstances.  Especially with 14 of the games being on the road.  Really could've been a lot worse...they've gone 9-4-2 in their last 15, and it's clear that even during that time that this is still very much a work in progress.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Marty makes the first pass out of our defensive zone often.  All defenseman have said Marty's puckhandling skills help them out tremendously during games.-

the way he plays the puck and his skill with it is huge.. you almost never see him get himself jammed up while doing it ..i mean it happens here and there but its rare.

It's just coincidence; people are making this a bigger deal than it really is.

I agree. I think people put to much thought into this. There's no excuse. Marty playing the puck doesn't affect the game THAT much. I don't care what is said, it doesn't explain the lack of production from forwards.

There is no excuse for how we played last night.

Marty makes the first pass out of our defensive zone often. All defenseman have said Marty's puckhandling skills help them out tremendously during games.-

that's fine but it doesn't explain why the forwards are playing that poorly. Our offense shouldn't play that bad even with the worst goalie in the league in net

IMO with Schneider in net, the defense can't take as many chances offensively, therefore offensive opportunities suffer.

This is what I'm thinking, as they haven't really built up that trust with Schneider yet and learned to play with his style (and vice versa). I'd like to wait until we have a 40 game sample or so but I wouldn't consider it permanent a problem.

It wouldn't be the first time the team has played differently in front of different goaltenders. (the great Clemmensen run comes to mind)

Edited by Devil Dan 56

this is ridiculous. So with Schneider in net we can expect or team to only put up like 5 sog?

It's not too ridiculous. Marty and Schneider have very different styles and there's a definite adjustment time needed. Hockey is not a plug-and-play sport. It's like a receiver and a quarterback. It takes some time for them to get on the same page and know where to look for each other. Again, I don't think it's a big issue, just some adjustment.

Additionally, the forwards may be feeling some more internal pressure to score when Schneider is in net since they haven't done it much. It's like a forward in a scoring slump. Once he realizes he's on it, it gets in his head and it makes it even harder to score. It's just one of those things that will even out in time.

It's not too ridiculous. Marty and Schneider have very different styles and there's a definite adjustment time needed. Hockey is not a plug-and-play sport. It's like a receiver and a quarterback. It takes some time for them to get on the same page and know where to look for each other. Again, I don't think it's a big issue, just some adjustment.

Additionally, the forwards may be feeling some more internal pressure to score when Schneider is in net since they haven't done it much. It's like a forward in a scoring slump. Once he realizes he's on it, it gets in his head and it makes it even harder to score. It's just one of those things that will even out in time.

It's pretty ridiculous. I don't think these guys let things like that get in their heads like it gets in ours. Especially when the team is winning despite how they looked last night.