The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

FWIW, Josefson's agent is negotiating with NJ: http://www.hockeysverige.se/2014/06/13/dodar-adam-larsson-ryktet-vi-pratar-med-devils/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"Lamoriello also has to make a decision regarding Swedish center Jacob Josefson's future. The 23-year-old only played 27 NHL games for the Devils the past season, but Martin Nilsson at Josefson's agency Alterno Management says to hockeysverige.se that discussions are being held between the parties"

I suppose this is, still, just par for the course regarding players w/o contracts.

I hope he's back and I hope he's given a bigger role on this team.  I think he'll thrive with more ice-time and especially so if he's given ice-time with Patik Elias or Jaromir Jagr.

Pretty much what Tri says. Not only did they trade and sign JJ, they got Ryder, Brunner, Clowe. I mean come on now. Lou is always active, he just goes about it quietly.

Olesz too.  They also gave Boucher a shot to stick around.  Maybe it didn't all work out, but it definitely wasn't for lack of trying on Lou's part.  Also would've helped if Kovy made up his mind during the last week of June and not on July 12. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Olesz too.  They also gave Boucher a shot to stick around.  Maybe it didn't all work out, but it definitely wasn't for lack of trying on Lou's part.  Also would've helped if Kovy made up his mind during the last week of June on not on July 12. 

I am pretty sure that Kovalchuk's mind was made up in June and that Lou knew this.

I actually think Lou came up with the plan probably as far back as the winter once Kovalchuk expressed desire to remain in Russia. Lou saw an opening, and it wouldn't have surprised me if he came to Kovalchuk and said "if you're going to do it, the time is now."

Olesz...forgot about that guy.

Isn't the cap supposed to go up a little this year?

Mirtle had a really informative article the other day on the financial situation for the league. Re: Salary Cap

So if revenues come in at exactly $3.7-billion, next year’s cap would be roughly $69.6-million. If they rise to $4-billion a year later, the cap climbs to nearly $76-million for 2015-16. (The floor in both cases is approximately $18-million to $20-million lower.)

HellOnICE, on 12 Jun 2014 - 9:13 PM, said:

Pretty much what Tri says. Not only did they trade and sign JJ, they got Ryder, Brunner, Clowe. I mean come on now. Lou is always active, he just goes about it quietly.

I agree completely. I get so sick and tired of hearing some so-called Devils fans complain that Lou does nothing every offseason. He is always active, signing top quality talent and improving this team. Sure, it may not be the big flashy names, the types the Rags go after. But the players he always gets wind up being highly productive and they usually stick around out of loyalty.

Sorry, but I'll take Lou's decision making every single time over some of these armchair GM's that we have floating around our fan base.

As for the three players mentioned above, I expect a big turnaround for them this season.

Go Devils!! Rangers Suck!!  :rock:

slasher72, on 11 Jun 2014 - 9:24 PM, said:

Tanner Pearson, Kyle Palmieri, Tyler Toffoli, Vyacheslav Voynov, Max Pacioretty, P.K. Subban, Milan Lucic, Artem Anisimov, Cal Clutterbuck, T.J. Oshie, Paul Stastny, Jonathan Quick, Mike Green, David Krejci, Brandon Prust, Johan Franzen.. just to name a few players all selected after the 24th pick.

A better game is to look at all of the Devils' draft picks since 2003 and count how many of them are still in the NHL (and yes, I know the defense will be "but look at where they've drafted").

Honestly, I hope they knock it out of the ballpark this offseason but to say Lou and Conte have been doing a smash up job at drafting is just...well... you get the point.

Why don't you go root for the Rags and stop being a Devils fan.

I would love cammaleri nice Under the radar signing... a LW who can play RW. Pure goal scorer, awesome release, elite one time and would bring speed to our team. We put him with possession player like the Zajac and the Jagrs and he will score at least 20 ans maybe around 30.

And we all know we need goals.

about 2 or 3 years

2years=7millions

3years=9millions

Your thought?

This will be an interesting offseason. I wonder if Lou will stick with his usual signing of low profile players or if we'll see some surprise signings. Please no Brian Gionta. I really don't want to see any re-tread acquisitions. Main thing is getting Scheids locked up. Part of me fears we'll be stuck with Sal another year. I hope not..

I thought maybe Vrbata would be good too. He won't be that expensive, right handed 2nd line center.  Patty can stay on wing (where he belongs). Doesn't have elite scoring ability but playing under Tippett's system, he was reliable. I think he'd also hit the group running. Being Czech doesn't hurt.

i would take Spezza depending of the price tag (As a plan B)... Should'nt be that hugh because of UFA status... I still remember Murray trading with us when he was in Anaheim.

He puts up good numbers too. He would be our best player...

The only problem i have is his UFA status next year....

Plan A offering big money to statsny.... I love him! If stastny sign here im buying some Jerseys !!!!!

ANd Again Cammaleri would be huge!!!!

Edited by caron14

We need a center. A good center who can play big minutes and in tough situations. Stastny, albeit will be overpaid will be that guy.

I dont care if we slightly overpaid for him. He is a sure value. Talented player with a lot of maturity. He is essentially a younger Patrik Elias.

You dont always have an opportunity to get a UFA who will be in your core group. We can build our offense around Statsny, Henrique, Zajac in long term.

Everyone had their fun...now back to talking about the Devils and being depressed again:

Among the Devils' unrestricted free agents are the entire fourth line of Ryan Carter, Steve Bernier and Stephen Gionta.

"We'll do what we can to retain them," Lamoriello said. "We'd like to keep the three."

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/06/devils_mattias_tedenby_alex_urbom_will_play_in_russia_cory_schneider_extension_still_a_priority.html

Everyone had their fun...now back to talking about the Devils and being depressed again:

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/06/devils_mattias_tedenby_alex_urbom_will_play_in_russia_cory_schneider_extension_still_a_priority.html

I think it's a foregone conclusion that Gionta is going to be back, though, I hope he does explore UFA.  I just hope they slot Sislo in there because is speed and shot are welcome on this team