Lots to mull for Devils’ legend Brodeur - Brooks NY Post

msweet

In a heartbeat

But why would Marty say yes to that. He may get 7 starts the rest of the way for Edmonton...as opposed to the 5 or so he'd get here

Eh maybe he thinks he can steal the starting role from a much younger Schrivens.

Plus again, from an owner's perspective..you'd make a couple million bucks on his jersey sales alone.  Even if he only played there for three months.  How many Stars/Flyers/Bruins/Devils fans have purchased Jagr jerseys?

Edited by Devilsfan118

Yeah, it makes absolutely no sense. Then again, neither does literally anyone acquiring Brodeur for anything, unless it is a playoff team that for some reason lacks a goaltender and has the cap room to slide Brodeur in.

The only team that would make even a little bit of sense may be Chicago, like people have been speculating. They did have interest in Marty during the Summer of Zach. And they're stacked and score tons of goals, so they could overcome crappy Brodeur outings if they have to. But they already have three goaltenders on the payroll and Crawford is the clear #1, so I doubt that happens either. Maybe Minnesota because of the Harding situation? But again- back-up. He wouldn't start on any of the 30 teams right now.

I take that back- MAYBE he would start for Calgary.

Why would Edmonton want Marty? There's not one logical reason a trade to Edmonton makes any sense.

Only thing I can think of is maybe they got a trade offer a week or two ago from another team for Schrivens that they can't pass up. Otherwise I'd agree.. can't see this making any sense.

Also if Lavoie tweeted it then it's a virtual certainty that it happened. Lavoie is close to the Brodeur family and I believe was the first one to break the story of Brodeurs fathers passing. Brodeur likely leaked the meeting story to him.

Also if Lavoie tweeted it then it's a virtual certainty that it happened. Lavoie is close to the Brodeur family and I believe was the first one to break the story of Brodeurs fathers passing. Brodeur likely leaked the meeting story to him.

He was also the first to break Marty re-signing with the Devils two years ago fwiw

Its bad enough we had to deal with the Kovy sh!t over the summer, then this garbage team and now this. Can't wait for it to all be over

Deal with what exactly? The thought of Marty going somewhere else?

Not towards you but just in general since there has been a lot of talk and a ton of opinions.

This isn't a tragedy. There isn't any animosity between any parties. Brodeur wants to keep playing, but there is no opportunity here right now. He understands that. Lou understands that. It seems like they are peacefully working something out. Two parties with the utmost respect for one another.

The media will play it up because the deadline will be a dud and this could be the big story, but there is no controversy here. They aren't dumping Brodeur with an unknown after the 2012 Finals. They have a top 5 goalie now, and Brodeur is 42.

He also hasn't said anything wrong. He has kept quiet for 4-5 games. Brodeur is not acting above the team or being a distraction.

If he goes, he goes. I welcome it. I think it be kind of interesting and hope he doesn't embarrass himself. But if he wants to keep playing and the market still wants him, by all means play...if it is Edmonton, Calgary, Chicago, Philly, etc. Some people can't bare the thought of him wearing another Jersey, but this isn't a force out or a player choosing another team in free agency over the Devils. This is about having a chance to show that you can keep playing in the NHL.

Whatever happen, the man deserves the respect of every Devils fan.

Edited by devilsrule33

I'm selfish. I don't want him to play for another team, period.

Since the 2012 cup run not much has gone right with this franchise and if we miss the playoffs this year and next I fully expect Cory to sign elsewhere. I hope I'm wrong but it would be fitting considering how everything else has gone.

Not towards you but just in general since there has been a lot of talk and a ton of opinions.

This isn't a tragedy. There isn't any animosity between any parties. Brodeur wants to keep playing, but there is no opportunity here right now. He understands that. Lou understands that. It seems like they are peacefully working something out. Two parties with the utmost respect for one another.

The media will play it up because the deadline will be a dud and this could be the big story, but there is no controversy here. They aren't dumping Brodeur with an unknown after the 2012 Finals. They have a top 5 goalie now, and Brodeur is 42.

He also hasn't said anything wrong. He has kept quiet for 4-5 games. Brodeur is not acting above the team or being a distraction.

If he goes, he goes. I welcome it. I think it be kind of interesting and hope he doesn't embarrass himself. But if he wants to keep playing and the market still wants him, by all means play...if it is Edmonton, Calgary, Chicago, Philly, etc. Some people can't bare the thought of him wearing another Jersey, but this isn't a force out or a player choosing another team in free agency over the Devils. This is about having a chance to show that you can keep playing in the NHL.

Whatever happen, the man deserves the respect of every Devils fan.

Well said dr33.  I think anyone who's down on Marty, for whatever the reasons, are looking to knock him for things that haven't really happened.  When he's been asked questions, he's been honest.  He's not saying or doing anything that could be considered distracting...he's been quiet for a while now.  There's no controversy...the job is Cory's, and Marty isn't stupid...when a guy has a save% over .940 and a GAA under 1.50 for 14 games, and every point counts, of course the Devils have to go with that guy. 

I agree completely, I think Marty and Lou are clearly friends who have a lot of respect for each other.  No animosity.  Maybe Marty was ticked and blindsided by the Schneider trade initially, who knows, but if he was, I'd hope he soon realized that the Devils have to start planning for future at some point, and that the Devils had been respectful almost to a fault with Marty this season, as far as playing time goes.   

The good thing is that I think the Marty detractors are softening and will continue to, and will realize that he's never ever done anything to lose the respect of Devils fans.  I remember when Mike Piazza had clearly declined in his last couple of years as a Met, but everytime he came up in those last two seasons, even if he struck out or grounded into a double play, Met fans in attendance cheered him no matter what.  He even joked about it, saying something along the lines of "When I first got here, they booed me when I really didn't deserve it, and now it's the other way around."  It's different with Marty, in that a shaky goalie can really hurt you on the ice, which means he shouldn't really be playing much, but I do think that most Devils fans WILL get over it if he finishes up with another team and won't hold it against him, even if he has a little success.      

Bryz the rest of the season would be fine by me.

I actually would respect Marty more for going to Edmonton. If he truly wants to play and wants to go to the worst team in the league in order to do it, then more power to him. You can't say he's chasing a Cup, he's chasing playing time. Also, going to Edmonton, if he's going to play can be an opportunity that he can "play" and maybe get a contract for next season.

I think he's finished, but if he wants to prove people wrong - go for it.

Edmonton already is missing the playoffs anyway.

Just some speculation for you all:

William Brodeur ☝ ‏@Freewill_b 21h

New favorite team #gooilers #oilcountry #betterthanthedevils

Tweet from his son. I'm going to go ahead and assume he's a spoiled kid who wants to see Dad play.

I'm going to assume that either a friend or teammate saw his phone laying around and tweeted that. More then likely the most plausible scenario.

I'm going to assume that either a friend or teammate saw his phone laying around and tweeted that. More then likely the most plausible scenario.

Doubt it.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is true.  The Oilers fans need something to rally around.  So the "spectacle" that becomes the "old-man Brodeur" to a spiraling downwards young franchise in Edmonton would give the media and fans in Edmonton something to talk about for the next few months, because they definitely won't be talking about the playoffs.

Doubt it.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is true.  The Oilers fans need something to rally around.  So the "spectacle" that becomes the "old-man Brodeur" to a spiraling downwards young franchise in Edmonton would give the media and fans in Edmonton something to talk about for the next few months, because they definitely won't be talking about the playoffs.

I don't know. Do you really think his son would go and put something like that out publicly? That's assuming that Marty and Lou talked Thursday, they decided that a trade was the only way to solve this, and then Lou managed to somehow come to an agreement with Edmonton, and then Marty OK'd that move, and then both teams agreed to leave the move for after the Olympic break roster freeze. Then we have to assume that Marty jumped the gun and told his kids, one of which decided to Tweet something like that. I'm sure his kids know how sensitive this material is, even if any of that is true. That's a lot of stuff to happen over the course of a weekend.

I think Coorslight's assumption is a little more likely at this time. I don't picture either Lou or Marty making that decision so quickly when they have the break to talk to teams and think it over, assuming a trade is even what they decided on.

Nearly all of which was entirely out of Lou's control, or going to happen no matter what Lou tried.

Part of the problem is that the Devils have never had that true pre-deadline completely-out-of-it tank season that might've resulted in a guy like Clarkson getting moved for something.  The closest the Devils have really come to that since Lou came aboard was '88-'89 (when the team was still clearly building, and had enough young players where Lou thought guys like Sean Burke would bounce back), and 2010-11 (he did deal Arnott and Langs, though it was clear that both players were not part of the 2011-12 plans).  Even in the 10-11 season, the Devils recovered to the point where they were on the outer fringes of life support.  They're just about always in the race...unfortunately the Devils fell apart after the deadline last season. 

Not that I necessarily want to find out, but it would be interesting to see how Lou would handle it if the Devils ever experienced a 2006-07 Flyers kind of free-fall, where not making the playoffs and being a bad team is 100% a forgone conclusion. 

seeing Brodeur leave after all those other guys would certainly look like 80% of our core from 2 years ago literally jumped ship

Call it what you want, but there's reasons why those guys left, and not every single one of them is Lou's fault...sometimes sh!t like this happens, and not all of it can be avoided.  Zajac and Henrique are locked up, for whatever that's worth (though both are clearly not going to help with the Devils' offensive issues, nor should they be counted on to).  And it's not really the end of the world if Marty gets traded/leaves.  He played in 1248 regular-season games for the Devils...as far as games with one team goes for goalies, I think Tony Esposito is second, with 873.  Does it really look bad for the Devils if he leaves at what looks to be the very end of his career, because he wants playing time that he can't get here, after giving the Devils all of his best years and then some?  I just don't see that as "jumping ship".      

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976