2011-12 Albany Devils thread

Triumph

Albany signed Joe Whitney as an undrafted college free agent out of Boston College over the summer. The biggest obstacle for him to overcome is his size, listed on the AHL website as 5'6 170 lbs. Despite this he has been producing a solid rookie year in the AHL.

Season: 48 GP 12 G 17 A 29 Pts -2 22 PIM 10.17 SH% 2.46 S/G

Obviously because of size and experience, the NJ Devils would rather have Palmieri up for a 4th line role.

Thanks. I didn't realize he was so small.

Still. Looks promising.

Albany lost to Bridgeport 3-0. Frazee made 35 saves on 38 shots. Albany went 0 for 7 on the power play. Urbom left the game in the 1st period and didn't return. Here is the gamesheet.

Their next game is Friday against Syracuse at 7:30.

Elmira defeated Reading 4-3 in a SO: Pielmeier (28 Saves on 31 Shots, Stopped all 8 shooters in SO).

Albany defeated Syracuse 3-1. Scoring for the Devils was Gelinas (11) (PP, Tedenby and Sislo), Tedenby (2) (PP, Zalewski and Gelinas), and Zharkov (11) (EN). Kinkaid stopped 33 of 34 shots. Tedenby was named 1st star with his goal, assist, 8 shot effort. Here is the gamesheet. Below are the highlights:

Tedenby: 13 GP 2 G 7 A 9 Pts +4 10 PIM 33 SOG 6.06 SH%

Gelinas: 52 GP 11 G 11 A 22 Pts -2 34 PIM 97 SOG 11.34 SH%

Their next game is Saturday against Manchester at 7:00.

Kalamazoo lost to Chicago 4-3: Haczyk (E, 2 Shots) and Clermont (29 Saves on 33 Shots).

Elmira defeated Reading 3-2: Pielmeier (15 Saves on 17 Shots).

Albany Note: Albany Signs Defenseman Eric Baier from ECHL Trenton.

Baier, 23, has played 50 games this season with the Trenton Titans of the ECHL. He has registered 16 points with four goals and 12 assists.

While at Providence, Baier appeared in 127 games, registering nine goals and 23 points. He was named to the 2009-10 Hockey East All-Academic Team.

Albany defeated Manchester 3-1. Scoring for the Devils was Gelinas (12) (PP, Tedenby and Whitney), Zalewski (12) (Zharkov and Whitney), and Zharkov (12) (EN, Kelly). Frazee stopped 38 of 39 shots to earn 1st star. Zalewski earned 2nd star. Gelinas has 4 goals and an assist in his past 5 games. Tedenby has 2 goals and 6 assists in his past 10 games. Zharkov has 6 goals and 2 assists in his past 8 games. Here is the gamesheet. I'll edit in highlights if they get posted.

Their next game is Sunday against Bridgeport at 3:00.

Kalamazoo lost to Cincinnati 5-3: Haczyk (Goal, Assist, E, 2 Shots) and Clermont (22 Saves on 27 Shots, Gave up a goal on penalty shot).

Elmira lost to Trenton 4-3: Pielmeier (30 Saves on 34 Shots).

Albany lost to Bridgeport 3-2 after blowing a 2-0 3rd period lead. Scoring for the Devils was Harrold (3) (PP, Zajac and Zharkov) and Hoeffel (4) (Zajac and Kinkaid). Kinkaid stopped 31 of 34 shots. Here is the gamesheet. I'll edit in highlights if they get posted.

Their next game is Friday against Bridgeport at 7:00.

Kalamazoo lost to Wheeling 4-2: Haczyk (E, 1 Shot) and Clermont (Played the final 13 seconds after Gill got a game misconduct for abuse of officials after the 4th Wheeling goal).

Elmira defeated Trenton 3-1: Pielmeier (Saved 22 of 23 Shots - 3rd Star).

Albany defeated Bridgeport 5-2. Scoring for the Devils was Zalewski (13, 14) (PP, Gelinas and Sislo, PP, Tedenby and Whitney), Mills (3) (Zharkov and Kelly), Whitney (13) (Zajac and Kelly), and Tedenby (3) (Sislo and Harrold). Frazee stopped 24 of 26 shots. Zalewski, Tedenby, and Whitney were named the 3 stars. Here is the gamesheet. Below are the highlights:

Their next game is Saturday against Adirondack at 5:00.

Bill Cain of the Daily Gazette has an interview with rookie defenseman Eric Gelinas here.

Kalamazoo lost to Florida 9-3: Haczyk (-1, 3 Shots) and Clermont (Stopped 3 of 5 shots in 11:34 of relief).

Elmira lost to Reading 3-1: Pielmeier (20 Saves on 22 Shots, Stopped penalty shot).

Albany lost to Adirondack 3-2 in overtime. Scoring for the Devils was Perkovich (9) (Nagy and Harrold) and Gelinas (13) (Perkovich and Berube). Kinkaid stopped 31 of 34 shots. Perkovich earned 3rd star. Gelinas has 9 points (5 goals, 4 assists) in his past 11 games. Here is the gamesheet. Below are the highlights:

Their next game is Sunday against Syracuse at 4:00.

Kalamazoo lost to Florida 5-4 in a SO: Haczyk (-1, 2 Shots) and Clermont (30 Saves on 34 Shots, Stopped 4 of 5 in SO).

The goals are nice, but what's even better is that Gelinas's shot rate has jumped quite a bit. Next year I want to see him at 3 shots/game, with a stat line like (pro-rated) 80 games, 10 goals, 30 assists, 240 shots. With those kind of numbers he should be able to at least contribute in the NHL at the Kurtis Foster level.

Edited by Triumph

Very excited to see Gelinas potentially make the move up next year. It's not out of the question we see Merrill a year after that. What's going on with Urbom and Burlon?

Anybody see potential there or are they possible trade candidates?

Very excited to see Gelinas potentially make the move up next year. It's not out of the question we see Merrill a year after that. What's going on with Urbom and Burlon?

Just judging by stats and what I've read over the course of the year it seems like Urbom has made solid progress this year. He is just 21 and is completing his 2nd year of professional hockey. I'd expect him to compete for a job in training camp next year.

It doesn't appear Burlon has had the rookie year he hoped to have when he left Michigan a year early. I still think he could've benefited from staying there for his senior year, especially since they have a chance at a national title and he missed out on that last year when he fell ill during the tournament. He struggled to break into the line up early in the year for Albany and he hasn't posted the numbers reflective of the offensive game a lot of us hoped for. Keep in mind I haven't seen him, this is just going by stat sheets and articles throughout the year. I'd be curious to read what someone that has seen him play a lot this year has to say. Hopefully next year goes a lot smoother for him.

With the depth the Devils have on defense I can see them moving any of these guys in the right trade. With Tallinder and Volchenkov signed for a few more years, Larsson and Fayne doing well at a young age in the NHL, and with the likes of Merrill, Gelinas, and Urbom progressing it appears the future is bright for the Devils blue line.

Here are some stats for the guys that have played for Albany's defense this year:

Gelinas: 56 GP 13 G 12 A 25 Pts -2 36 PIM 11.40 SH% 2.04 SH/G

Harrold: 51 GP 3 G 17 A 20 Pts +6 28 PIM 4.69 SH% 1.25 SH/G

Taormina: 25 GP 5 G 9 A 14 Pts +3 12 PIM 7.04 SH% 2.84 SH/G

Urbom: 41 GP 2 G 9 A 11 Pts E 20 PIM 5.00 SH% 0.98 SH/G

Corrente: 28 GP 2 G 6 A 8 Pts -2 59 PIM 6.90 SH% 1.04 SH/G

Burlon: 44 GP 1 G 6 A 7 Pts -3 19 PIM 2.00 SH% 1.14 SH/G

Kelly: 40 GP 1 G 3 A 4 Pts +9 61 PIM 2.56 SH% 0.98 SH/G

Banwell: 23 GP 0 G 3 A 3 Pts E 20 PIM 0.00 SH% 0.70 SH/G

Baier: 4 GP 0 G 0 A 0 Pts -1 0 PIM 0.00 SH% 0.50 SH/G

Young: 4 GP 0 G 0 A 0 Pts -1 9 PIM 0.00 SH% 1.5 SH/G

Leach: 15 GP 0 G 0 A 0 Pts -8 10 PIM 0.00 SH% 0.80 SH/G

I don't think Brandon Burlon is worth very much - basically everything I've read about him is that he's a guy who could become an NHL defenseman. End of story.

I do think one of Gelinas, Urbom, or Merrill is a worthy trade candidate, seeing as how the organization has a few defensemen still in school who have some potential (McPherson, Gedig).

Albany Clear Day Roster

Each Clear Day roster consists of a maximum of 22 players. According to AHL by-laws, only those players listed on a team’s Clear Day roster are eligible to compete in the remainder of the 2011-12 AHL regular season and in the 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs, unless emergency conditions arise as a result of recall, injury or suspension.

Teams may also add signed draft choices and players signed to amateur tryout contracts, provided that their respective junior or college seasons are complete.

Forwards: Matt Anderson, Stephen Gionta, Mike Hoeffel, Brad Mills, Nathan Perkovich, Tim Sestito, Mike Sislo, Mattias Tedenby, Joe Whitney, Chad Wiseman, Darcy Zajac, Steve Zalewski, Vladimir Zharkov

Defensemen: Matthew Corrente, Eric Gelinas, Peter Harrold, Dan Kelly, Jay Leach, Matt Taormina, Alexander Urbom

Goaltenders: Jeff Frazee, Keith Kinkaid

Kalamazoo defeated Cincinnati 6-5 in OT: Haczyk (Goal, +2, 4 Shots) and Clermont (20 Saves on 25 Shots).

Friday 3/9

Albany lost to Syracuse 2-1 in a shoot out. Scoring for the Devils was Zalewski (15) (Gionta and Whitney). Tedenby and Anderson scored for the Devils in the shoot out. Kinkaid stopped 37 of 38 shots and 1 of 4 in the shoot out. Zalewski earned 3rd star. Here is the gamesheet. Below are the highlights:

Kalamazoo defeated Chicago 5-2: Haczyk (Assist, +1, 1 Shot) and Clermont (28 Saves on 30 Shots).

Elmira defeated Trenton 7-3: Pielmeier (25 Saves on 28 Shots).

Saturday 3/10

Albany lost to Adirondack 4-3. Scoring for the Devils was Anderson (8) (Sislo), Perkovich (10) (Mills), and Zalewski (16) (Zajac and Mills). Frazee stopped 28 of 32 shots. Corrente was stopped by Leighton on a penalty shot. Here is the gamesheet. I'll edit in highlights if they are posted.

Their next game is Sunday against Syracuse at 3:00.

Kalamazoo lost to Chicago 2-0: Haczyk (E, 1 Shot) and Clermont (DNP).