NHL announces rules changes for 2014-15 season

DevilMinder

Get rid of the trapezoid all together. Secondly, why eliminate the spin o rama in an event that is 100% about fan entertainment?  Third, the diving penalties are a joke.  

Usual par for the course annual nonsensical changes by the NHL!

If it was 100% about fan entertainment there would be 0 points in the standings awarded for it.

Now whats the camera guy gonna do just before the shootout! It was always the most dramatic television to have it zoomed in and watch Pete write the 3 shooters on the 3 layered price of paper!

Seriously don't have an issue with any of these but am a bit confused on the zone start one- so now if an attacking team deflects the puck out of play it's still an offensive zone faceoff? I know they want to promote offense but that just seems wrong to me...

Now whats the camera guy gonna do just before the shootout! It was always the most dramatic television to have it zoomed in and watch Pete write the 3 shooters on the 3 layered price of paper!

Seriously don't have an issue with any of these but am a bit confused on the zone start one- so now if an attacking team deflects the puck out of play it's still an offensive zone faceoff? I know they want to promote offense but that just seems wrong to me...

Yeah it looks like it now only leaves the zone if it is shot directly out.  I don't like it either but it's not that big a deal.

I'd like to see them implement a system in which a team that causes a face-off is not allowed to change lines. For example, if the goalie covers the puck, defensive team can't change. If they shoot it into their own bench, can't change. Etc

I think if they did that, shifts would probably be too long and it would really slow down the game with a lot more dump-ins to enable changing on the fly.

The tripping a player even if the defending player made initial contact with the puck is bs.

So I chase down a breakaway, dive, hit the puck off the attackers stick, but if I follow through, even if I got the puck first, and trip the attacker I'm called on a penalty for tripping. WTF?!!?!

I'm fine with this rule. You wiped out the player, thereby negating any ability for him to regain control of the puck or set up a teammate. There should be some penalty, no? There is compromise between the old and new rule in that you won't be called for a penalty shot. I have seen plenty of defensemen cleanly dive and knock away the puck to be worked up by the rule change.

I'm fine with this rule. You wiped out the player, thereby negating any ability for him to regain control of the puck or set up a teammate. There should be some penalty, no? There is compromise between the old and new rule in that you won't be called for a penalty shot. I have seen plenty of defensemen cleanly dive and knock away the puck to be worked up by the rule change.

I agree.  Why be allowed to trip a player just because you touched the puck first?  What I really like about this rule, is that it won't affect penalty shots.  If this happens on a breakaway, it'll just be a 2 minute minor penalty.