NFL Week 9!

CRASHER

Quoting myself here...but exhibit A being the Packers once Rodgers went out :P

As much as people complain about QBs being overprotected (and some of the roughing-the-passer calls are beyond aggravating, no question), the sad truth is that, if the QBs weren't afforded that kind of protection, we'd be looking at 10-15 teams playing their backups by mid-season.  The game might seem wussified at times, but what would we all rather see...Brady, Manning and the best talent available playing the position, or David Carr and Seneca Wallace types?  dr33 is right that there are some capable backups who clearly can succeed when they get their chance (Rodgers and Brady, among many others), but not nearly enough to go around.   

As much as people complain about QBs being overprotected (and some of the roughing-the-passer calls are beyond aggravating, no question), the sad truth is that, if the QBs weren't afforded that kind of protection, we'd be looking at 10-15 teams playing their backups by mid-season.  The game might seem wussified at times, but what would we all rather see...Brady, Manning and the best talent available playing the position, or David Carr and Seneca Wallace types?  dr33 is right that there are some capable backups who clearly can succeed when they get their chance (Rodgers and Brady, among many others), but not nearly enough to go around.   

Wouldn't include Rodgers since he was supposed to go 1st overall until a few months before the draft. It's so tough being a backup because you get absolutely no reps in practice. But this year we have seen enough guys do a good enough job, Lewis in Buffalo, Campbell and Hoyer in Cleveland, Glennon in Tampa Bay, Foles in Philly.

Teams just need to invest in a decent backup. And the top teams have no interest in doing that when cap space is so limited, and they can't spend more on a position that is costing them a fortune already. 

The QB position is going to get a big boost next year. Up to 9 QBs might be drafted in the 1st and 2nd round: Bridgewater, Mariota, Manziel, Mettenberger, Murray, McCarron, Carr, Miller and Boyd. 

Edited by devilsrule33

Foles is inconsistent. Mcowen or however its spelled played pretty well. Keenum should be Houston's starter. Cousins in Washington has what it takes to be a starter,a 100% cousins is better then 75% rg3. Packers defense gave Chicago the win as well a Houston's kicker handing them the game.

Amen brother.

You know how it is though...when a guy like Flacco goes on a terrific postseason run, he's going to get paid, and there's no way his team lets a QB that proves he can win it all get away, even if they have to pay him massive dollars. 

You know how it is though...when a guy like Flacco goes on a terrific postseason run, he's going to get paid, and there's no way his team lets a QB that proves he can win it all get away, even if they have to pay him massive dollars. 

And add in the joke rules about practices in pads and the backup never gets a damn rep in and we wonder why the #2 guys are so awful now......

Last time Rodgers missed games though Matt Flynn made himself millions of dollars (including the game in New England, even before the 6-TD one against Detroit).  Ironically it wouldn't be a huge shock if Flynn was back this week now that he wore out his welcome everywhere else.

It's not just that teams won't spend...why if you are a competent backup would you even go to a team behind a big-time starter where the starter never gets hurt?  Kyle Orton's kind of an exception but he already ran the gamut in terms of starting opportunities he was ever going to get anyway.  You can draft a guy semi-high too, the Giants did that with the Syracuse kid, the Pats have Mallet.

And add in the joke rules about practices in pads and the backup never gets a damn rep in and we wonder why the #2 guys are so awful now......

That, and for the most part, with all of the scouting and scouring that goes on to find a QB in a league that's ALWAYS looking for a good arm, the backups who have true starting potential tend to get scooped up (teams will even make a move if a guy looks good in preseason games, or has a couple of big regular-season games when he gets a chance to start).  That's why I don't think Ryan Mallett has much of an NFL future...his preseason appearances have been very meh, and I think a team that thought he had something would've coughed up a pick or two (maybe a 3rd and 5th or something like that) by now. 

That, and for the most part, with all of the scouting and scouring that goes on to find a QB in a league that's ALWAYS looking for a good arm, the backups who have true starting potential tend to get scooped up (teams will even make a move if a guy looks good in preseason games, or has a couple of big regular-season games when he gets a chance to start).  That's why I don't think Ryan Mallett has much of an NFL future...his preseason appearances have been very meh, and I think a team that thought he had something would've coughed up a pick or two (maybe a 3rd and 5th or something like that) by now. 

NFL teams need to continue drafting a QB in the 3-6 round no matter how good they think their QB situation is. You get a very cheap option for 4 years or so, and a lot of them can play. As a team you need to avoid having Seneca Wallace or Chris Redman coming into a game. You want a Nick Foles option even if there is already a $100 million option in Vick. 

dr33...I agree with what you're saying, but I think the Pats took Mallett thinking "OK, here's a guy who was projected to go in the first round, but has fallen to us in the 3rd round...maybe we can turn him into something." (like a 1st or 2nd rounder).  I think if Brady had been a few years older when they drafted him, they might have been drafting him as a true heir apparent to Brady.  But I think the Pats drafted Mallett to flip him.