Devils acquire Steve Sullivan

jagknife

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have watched Zajac and I agree he hasn't been that good but he's been getting his game back and we all know when Zajac is playing his game he's an excellent center. Loktionov has played like 18 games with us and has gotten crazy puck luck so far. I think Loki is a good center but if someone is saying you can have loktionov or Zajac on your team it should be obvious who you take, and it isn't loktionov.

By reputation yes... but maybe in a couple of year you wont say that.... from what we seen this year loktionov is the better man.

No problem with this move as it's a bandaid/stopgap/plug move for the next month, even though this team is pretty old in a number of positions as is.  I expect Sullivan to see some time on the PP, maybe get some more 5v5 time with better players, but he'll mostly be protected in those situations anyway by Deboer I imagine.

Sure, Sullivan is close to being pretty much done, but if it helps get guys like Gionta and Sestito and even Kostopolous off the ice in key situations if not altogether and forever, I am all for it.

The Devils even as they are, will be in a dogfight the rest of the way, and personally, I see them having to fight for the 8 spot and probably missing out.

If the Devils were going to make significant changes, it was always going to have to wait until this summer, when I expect they will indeed happen.

By reputation yes... but maybe in a couple of year you wont say that.... from what we seen this year loktionov is the better man.

That fair to say. But like I said Zajac has proven every year that hes a legitimate top 2 NHL Center. I'll be more inclined to say that Loktionov is a top 2 center after he sustains this play for a whole year rather than 18 games out of 70 game career. 

And in terms of Loktionov playing better this season, almost the entire team has underachieved this year and because of this Loki has gotten better opportunities that he might not have gotten otherwise.

No problem with this move as it's a bandaid/stopgap/plug move for the next month, even though this team is pretty old in a number of positions as is.  I expect Sullivan to see some time on the PP, maybe get some more 5v5 time with better players, but he'll mostly be protected in those situations anyway by Deboer I imagine.

Sure, Sullivan is close to being pretty much done, but if it helps get guys like Gionta and Sestito and even Kostopolous off the ice in key situations if not altogether and forever, I am all for it.

The Devils even as they are, will be in a dogfight the rest of the way, and personally, I see them having to fight for the 8 spot and probably missing out.

If the Devils were going to make significant changes, it was always going to have to wait until this summer, when I expect they will indeed happen.

NJ is still better than the Islanders - I mean, yeah, it's going to come down to who gets the bounces, but the Islanders haven't gotten great goaltending either.  Nor do I think significant changes are coming this summer.

NJ is still better than the Islanders - I mean, yeah, it's going to come down to who gets the bounces, but the Islanders haven't gotten great goaltending either.  Nor do I think significant changes are coming this summer.

define significant - at least two and likely three of tallinder/fayne/volchenkov/harrold/zidlicky will not be here next year.

moose will be replaced.

at least one forward who is not currently in the organization will be in the top 9

there will be change this offseason.

For better or worse, I don't see us making any significant changes until Brodeur retires.

define significant - at least two and likely three of tallinder/fayne/volchenkov/harrold/zidlicky will not be here next year.

moose will be replaced.

at least one forward who is not currently in the organization will be in the top 9

Zubrus/Clarkson could both be gone but there isn't much to trade really a young d-man and who knows how many of vet dmen are gonna be back that would allow you to trade the young ones

Edited by DH26

moose will be replaced.

Are you kidding? No.

Marty does get hurt in save percentage because that doesn't count playing with a low shot counter and doesn't include shots he prevents with his stick handling.  Nor will save percentage include the offense he may help create through his stick handling, although I have no way to know if or how much this might add, but I feel it likely does help.

Not saying Marty is awesome and amazing anymore, but save percentage for Marty isn't the same indicator of overall play as for most goalies.

Marty's save% from '02-'03 to '09-'10:  .9165 (well above his career .9128)

from '10 on:  .9055  (well below)

That's a huge difference, and the biggest case against him...pucks simply get past him at a higher percentage now. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Marty's save% from '02-'03 to '09-'10: .9165 (well above his career .9128)

from '10 on: .9055 (well below)

That's a huge difference, and the biggest case against him...pucks simply get past him at a higher percentage now.

Nobody was suggesting Marty is as good a goalie at 40 as he was in his prime.

Nobody was suggesting Marty is as good a goalie at 40 as he was in his prime.

Agreed, just pointing out the degree of the difference.  It's not like he went from .9165 to .911 or .910.  And I'm as big a supporter as you'll find of Marty, but not being able to stop 91% in today's NHL raises a bit of a red flag.  Luongo's .904 was enough for him to lose his job.  Not saying Marty should lose his...can't make any case for .886 Hedberg to be playing ahead of Marty, especially with Hedberg's blood-pressure spiking puck play.  

Agreed, just pointing out the degree of the difference.  It's not like he went from .9165 to .911 or .910.  And I'm as big a supporter as you'll find of Marty, but not being able to stop 91% in today's NHL raises a bit of a red flag.  Luongo's .904 was enough for him to lose his job.  Not saying Marty should lose his...can't make any case for .886 Hedberg to be playing ahead of Marty, especially with Hedberg's blood-pressure spiking puck play.  

difference is Brodeur doesnt have a great young backup that people believe could take over... thats why Luongo lost his job mostly

difference is Brodeur doesnt have a great young backup that people believe could take over... thats why Luongo lost his job mostly

Re-read my post...that's pretty much what "can't make any case for .886 Hedberg to be playing ahead of Marty, especially with Hedberg's blood-pressure spiking puck play" states.  Marty is the #1 for two reasons right now:  1) his history, and 2) Hedberg isn't pushing him.  If Hedberg had played considerably better, or there was a legit candidate in the system, Marty would be in some trouble, at least from as far as being THE #1 guy goes.  Right now an aging and declining Marty is the Devils' best option...right now almost their only one.  That can't be the case in 2013-14, if the Devils have any designs on contending.

Sullivan: 'Glad to be going back to where it all began'

"That's going to be great," he said. "Obviously, as hockey players,

our goal is to play for the Stanley Cup, and to do so, you have to get

into the playoffs. Getting right back into the thick of things of a

playoff race is definitely going to be refreshing for myself. I just

look forward to hopefully getting another chance at playing for the

Cup."

As of Wednesday afternoon, Sullivan had yet to speak to the Devils

coaching staff about his role, but said he's ready for anything.

"I'm just going to go in with an open mind. Hopefully I can help in

some capacity, and wherever they want me to fill in, I'll be glad to do

so," he said.

Yes, they use big equipment.

Take another look then, because comparatively speaking, Wedgewood and Kinkaid have smaller pads. Frazee isn't oversized either. Clermont is the biggest of them all.

Sure, I'll take a look.  Oh wait, none of them are putting up good save percentages really at any level?  Ah.  Good to know.

What part of my post said anything about their talent levels or how they were doing this year? I mentioned the size of their pads and I wasn't even talking to you. I toned down everything I've said to you since our save % debate, but this is my point about you sounding like a condescending prick.

Also take note that we don't have a Euro goalie either. They're all NA goaltenders. European goalies are the one's that tend to be bigger.

Let me reiterate, I think Lou will never draft/sign an over 6'4" monster sized goalie with big pads, a la Ben Bishop, Lundqvist, Lindback, no one like that. And if you still think our prospect goalies are the same size as that, well, then I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by ATLL765

Take another look then, because comparatively speaking, Wedgewood and Kinkaid have smaller pads. Frazee isn't oversized either. Clermont is the biggest of them all.

What part of my post said anything about their talent levels or how they were doing this year? I mentioned the size of their pads and I wasn't even talking to you. I toned down everything I've said to you since our save % debate, but this is my point about you sounding like a condescending prick.

Also take note that we don't have a Euro goalie either. They're all NA goaltenders. European goalies are the one's that tend to be bigger.

Let me reiterate, I think Lou will never draft/sign an over 6'4" monster sized goalie with big pads, a la Ben Bishop, Lundqvist, Lindback, no one like that. And if you still think our prospect goalies are the same size as that, well, then I don't know what to tell you.

Gun to the head, I think Kinkaid is at least 6 '4

Edit- Wrong. He's 6 '3

Edited by SMantzas

Are you kidding? No.

assuming you're talking about how fayne might be the odd man out. I agree he's good and probably our 2nd or 3rd best defenseman. it didn't stop deboer from scratching him 10 times this year. he's a very cheap top 4 defenseman with one year of team control left. that can bring a decent amount back in return.

lou is not just gonna role this same team out there next year with maybe different version of sykora/d'agostini/kostopolous/darche/non-roster invite vet. last year's cup run was the reason this team was so similar. had florida won game 7, this team is much different i think - even starting with CBGB and from there out. you can be sure that salvador isn't here - or at least not on that contract.