Bench Kovalchuk

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

92 members have voted

1. 1. Bench Kovalchuk?

the easiest way to fix the PP is to use two defensemen. they're not pulling him at this point. whether they'll be able to shove him on a plane against after tonight/tomorrow morning is a whole other thing. but if they can get him on the plane he's playing

i can see why you are saying he's i liability- he does look a little slow.

but listen, in our current situation, you cannot pull out our star because he is just way too dangerous. you cannot bench that shot

he doesn't really have it. he's borderline stationary and has no skating speed. logically he shouldn't be playing but you can't tell the guy no if he's killing himself to play. if he's bad enough that they can't give him any more shots because they're afraid he'll maim himself, it's gotta be pretty bad.

Kovy's 'only' impact is on the power play, but he really shouldn't be playing the point. Problem is there aren't too many other people that can even do it. The only other guy who does it (Zidlicky) is also hurt, and our #3 PP QB was benched in favor of Tallinder.

I get the logic, but you need the shot, and probably the leadership.

Yeah, you really can't bench Kovy, but you HAVE to limit his minutes. He shouldn't be playing the entirety of every power play.

When we had the back-to-back power plays, someone noted he was on ice for something like 5 minutes of a 5:30 stretch, which is probably a little nuts when he's 100%, let alone the MacGyver'd version of him we have right now, being held together with a guitar pick, wad of chewing gum, and a #2 pencil.

I know they have to fly cross country, but with 2 days off I'm hoping the medical staff can work some sort of magic. Every little bit counts.

yea, loads of oxycontin. I don't think there's much they can do for kovy at this point except numb him

yea, loads of oxycontin. I don't think there's much they can do for kovy at this point except numb him

I don't think they're doing it anymore. He looks worse than he did in the first 2-3 weeks of the playoffs after looking halfway decent skating wise for most of the Flyers series and the beginning of the Rangers series. If you keep numbing someone up, they don't feel pain and then they fvck themselves up worse. If you feel it at least you have limits.

He looks around 37-38 years old out there right now.

And if they ARE doing it and this is what he looks like I'm a bit concerned for his future

I can see why people would want him subbed out but to be honest he has had some great plays cause his passing is still one of the best to set up some good plays. But that's not the only reason, I think it could be a moral crusher to the team to see one of your best players taken out of the game and a show of weakness to the Kings even though both of those reasons could also be untrue. If he would be taken out though i could see JJ be a good replacement I remember seeing him hustle for the puck quite well this series when he played the first 3 games but it angers me when he is almost afraid to shoot the puck when it should be of been fired.

Edited by MoKovy

the easiest way to fix the PP is to use two defensemen. they're not pulling him at this point. whether they'll be able to shove him on a plane against after tonight/tomorrow morning is a whole other thing. but if they can get him on the plane he's playing

Agreed

This.

Yeah I think this is what they did to him during the PHI series.. Not all to knowledgeable with them, but can you do two in a close period of time?

That's probably why they can't do one now. Every game could be his last for the season anyway, so at this point it's about how much he can tolerate.

The PP at the end of the game was one of the best in a long time. Keep Tally and Fayne on the points with Elias/Kovy/Parise/Zajac/Sykora/Clarkson/Zubrus down low. It forces them to play simple rather than load the gun to Kovy at the point all the time. Run the PP through Elias at the half boards - it has worked great in the regular season.

Maybe the best part tonight was escaping without a PP goal. They are going to need one soon. And they are due.