Bryzgalov Bought Out

Zubie#8

im pretty confident we'll see Matt Read in a Canucks uniform next season.

Damn, you heard it here first.  That does sound completely plausible now.

And re: Bryz..I'll never get over this one:

Such a HORRIBLE goal to give up at the time, oh man.

Edited by Devilsfan118

im pretty confident we'll see Matt Read in a Canucks uniform next season.

even if the Flyers get Luongo, there's no way an asset as valuable as Read goes back. They have no partners except Philadelphia so it'd probably be a draft pick or something and a lower prospect unless Florida gets involved

I could see them in the running for Smith too.  I mean, who are the teams that definitely need a starter, other than New Jersey?  The Islanders, the Flyers, Calgary, Phoenix, and that's about it.

they might just be dumb enough to dip back into the Tippett system well

Tippett doesn't raise save percentage.  

I could see Luongo for Meszaros and Read with the Canucks buying Meszaros out.  

Well then maybe having OEL and company helps instead bc Bryz had 3 920 seasons in PHX nad none anywhere else and Smith's averaged over .920 the last 2 years when he never had a single 920 season anywhere else

Well then maybe having OEL and company helps instead bc Bryz had 3 920 seasons in PHX nad none anywhere else and Smith's averaged over .920 the last 2 years when he never had a single 920 season anywhere else

Bryzgalov's first season was under Wayne Gretzky, and a .910 SV% was pretty darn good in 2005-06 when teams were getting 6 power plays a game.  Smith also had a .916 in Tampa, it's not like he hasn't had an average season before.

even if the Flyers get Luongo, there's no way an asset as valuable as Read goes back. They have no partners except Philadelphia so it'd probably be a draft pick or something and a lower prospect unless Florida gets involved

they might just be dumb enough to dip back into the Tippett system well

They offered Read forBernier who's unproven and to be re-signed next season. You think they wouldnt throw read for a proven #1 who's signed for awhile?

They offered Read forBernier who's unproven and to be re-signed next season. You think they wouldnt throw read for a proven #1 who's signed for awhile?

Bernier is cheap, Luongo is not.  I don't think anyone's going to trade an asset for Luongo unless they are getting some sort of salary cap relief themselves.

Bernier is cheap, Luongo is not.  I don't think anyone's going to trade an asset for Luongo unless they are getting some sort of salary cap relief themselves.

i know but now teams can retain and trade salaries they might work something that way.

So let's just recap the Flyers situation here for a second...

1- They trade Carter and Richards to make room for Bryzgalov.

2- Sign Bryzgalov to a 9 years, 51 millions contract.

3- Trade Bobvrosky to Colombus

4- Watch Carter & Richards winning the cup in LA.

5- Watch Bobrovsky winning the Vezina Trophy

6- Buyout Bryzgalov's contract and will have to pay him for 14 years

7- They still need a #1 goalie now....

good stuff, good lolz

• Like 1

i know but now teams can retain and trade salaries they might work something that way.

If I read the rules properly, the Canucks can pick up half of Luongo's salary and half his cap hit.  So the Canucks can make Luongo have 9 years left on his deal with a 2.66 million cap hit and a you're never paying him more than 3.4 million in any year.

I assume the "cap recapture" formula when he retires early could also be spread across both teams.

Also, Loungo could be traded a 2nd time with a team picking up half his salary and cap hit, so you could spread his "cap recapture" over 3 teams, unevenly, if that's the case.

Luongo's no trade clause ends after the 17-18 season so you can probably dump him on some team cap floor team for cheap at that point, right before he retires.

Damn, you heard it here first.  That does sound completely plausible now.

And re: Bryz..I'll never get over this one:

Such a HORRIBLE goal to give up at the time, oh man.

Witnessing this from the stands was awesome.

Being bought out isn't the worse thing for Bryz because he still gets paid a good portion of that contract!

Witnessing this from the stands was awesome.

Being bought out isn't the worse thing for Bryz because he still gets paid a good portion of that contract!

he'll get like 1.6m until he's 47 years old plus the guy will still be playing hockey for another 4-5 years i assume and he'll make quite a few millions there too.

Bryzgalov's first season was under Wayne Gretzky, and a .910 SV% was pretty darn good in 2005-06 when teams were getting 6 power plays a game.  Smith also had a .916 in Tampa, it's not like he hasn't had an average season before.

ah ok gotcha.