We now have the 30th pick

Marshall

Believe me, the NHL and its lawyers at Proskauer, Skadden or wherever would not be intimidated. The same way that MLB was not scared off by Arod's legal team and it's threats if injunctions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree -- they are not intimidated.  But they are practical. I've settled many a case with those very same lawyers at Proskauer, Skadden and the like.  And they don't turn down a reasonable deal that provides their clients with a satisfactory resolution and the certainty that goes with it.

And A-Rod had no case -- legally or factually.  Totally different situation.

And to the rest of the board -- you're welcome for the copper wire.

Edited by smelly

I agree -- they are not intimidated. But they are practical. I've settled many a case with those very same lawyers at Proskauer, Skadden and the like. And they don't turn down a reasonable deal that provides their clients with a satisfactory resolution and the certainty that goes with it.

And A-Rod had no case -- legally or factually. Totally different situation.

The Devils had less of a case than Arod, especially if they decided to get an injunction on the eve of the draft. And yeah, sometimes you can get a decent settlement out of a dog of a case. This is not the case, since the Devils had a lot more to lose than a judge just saying no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But once again, this is the Lou Lamoriello show. The smartest man in hockey won the Kovalchuk deal from start to finish. First he worked within the rules to lock up an elite talent for the rest of his NHL career. Then he made sure Kovalchuk's "retirement" occurred just before the league's increased cap recapture penalties kicked in. Now this. http://deadspin.com/the-nhls-horsesh!t-deal-with-the-devils-1537895188?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

I KILLED Lou for not forfeiting the pick right after we went to the Finals.   I did say unless he has insider information that we will get the pick back somehow...

He HAD to have known there was a good chance the pick would be coming back, otherwise it would have been absurd to NOT forfeit our 2012 pick

I KILLED Lou for not forfeiting the pick right after we went to the Finals.   I did say unless he has insider information that we will get the pick back somehow...

He HAD to have known there was a good chance the pick would be coming back, otherwise it would have been absurd to NOT forfeit our 2012 pick

I owe lou an appology too. way to stick it out till the end lou!

I don't know, better than nothing I suppose. We'll draft a kid who may get a chance to play for the next coach. Still would rather have thrown Matteau back in the pond and taken this year's possible top 10 pick.

It was the owners that ask for the meeting not Lou

We know you don't like Lou, but you can't pretend the owners did this on their own and that it had nothing to do with him. The league wanting to not punish new owners makes sense, but Lou clearly had a big hand in this.

Yeah, we need a GM making moves for that to happen...

You mean the GM that brought Jagr and Schneider to the Devils before the start of this season? Honestly, where in the rankings do you think the Devils would be today if those two acquisitions were not made by Lou? Also, I have no issue with Lou making only minor changes to our roster this past week. First, the devils are on the cusp of making the playoffs and there is no need to 'shake things up' for the sake of making things exciting. Did we need a scorer? Sure, but at what cost? The devils are not a a CUP team, and would not be a cup team no matter who they acquired in Ruutu's place. What is the point of Lou shipping picks and prospects for a short term rental? At least a few of these guys will be testing the market this summer and if the price (and fit) is right, Lou will acquire them for mere salary. Side note: I like what Ruutu brings as far as size and grit. The devils play a slower game along the baord and need guys who can protect the puck and throw their body around on the forecheck. Ruutu will do just that. That having been said, only time will tell if he will earn his $ (see past inuries), but that can be said about anyone. I am keeping my fingers crossed that he and Clowe stay healthy.

We know you don't like Lou, but you can't pretend the owners did this on their own and that it had nothing to do with him. The league wanting to not punish new owners makes sense, but Lou clearly had a big hand in this.

No one is pretending that Lou didn't have anything to do with it, but the owners were the ones who initiated it and followed it through. I don't know what the problem is with giving them credit where credit is due. 

Edited by TheRedStorm
  • Like 1

I agree -- they are not intimidated.  But they are practical. I've settled many a case with those very same lawyers at Proskauer, Skadden and the like.  And they don't turn down a reasonable deal that provides their clients with a satisfactory resolution and the certainty that goes with it.

And A-Rod had no case -- legally or factually.  Totally different situation.

:clap2:  Great to see you again smelly. :)