Thoughts on Josefson

Sharifijanov2099

I know that no one's particularly focused on JJ since we're winning a lot and figuring out what we might need (if anything) prior to the trade deadline, but I'm curious what people's thoughts are on JJ's play.

He's not playing the top 6, so you can claim that he's not going to be effective (and plays mostly 4th line), but then again, the 3rd line seems to get stuff done (at least Poni and Zubs). Still, there's usually a big time on ice discrepancy between the top 9 and the bottom 3.

That said, JJ has only 2 assists through 20 games. He's had some chances. But so far I haven't seen the same "flashes" as I saw last year when you could tell he understood how to control the puck in traffic/on the boards, etc and dish it off. He doesn't seem detrimental out there, but I'm not sure I've noticed much development either. Might he be better served back in Albany? (Tho, I'm not sure what his waiver-status is).

Funny, I really thought Zajac/JJ would form a formidable centering punch this year. I wasn't expecting Elias and Henrique.

It's tough to judge him because he's playing with boat anchors on his wing and isn't getting big minutes. This season is a wash for him -- next season is where he needs to start showing something on the top 3 lines.

i dont know about him...i think he's overly loved by devil fans because he's our prospect and a 1st rder...on the other hand i think he's playing solid defensively as well as providing some skill on the 4th line...in the long run i don't expect nearly as much as i believe many other people do on the numbers he'll put up but remain optimistic

btw the way i decided to take back that trade because im hoping his offensive ceiling will turn out to be higher

Edited by justdo3043

Kruger's season is basically exactly what would be expected of Josefson if he had been healthy.

Josefson's season hasn't gone too well, and yes, I think a little too much was expected of him offensively, but he's a smart player. The question of whether he'll have the offense to stick in the top 6 will come down to whether he can use and/or develop the proper physical attributes.

That shift on the PK last games shows what talent he has. When he wants to stick-handle he is extremely gifted but most often he does the smart thing and dumps/passes it. A true playmaker with that sort of stick-handling can create a lot of lanes in the offensive zone. He is only 20 years old so I have no problem buying his time on the 4th line until he is strong enough.

WORST case scenario is that JJ ends up being a 3rd line center, which honestly is fine. Like Jason said, when he wants to stick-handle, he is really good. There was one play he made against the Canadiens where he was surrounding by three habs in the offensive zone and neatly stick-handled around them and set up boulton for a great chance. My jaw literally dropped when I saw that. He definitely has the talent and smarts, but he needs to grow into his body

The raw talent is visible. Good awareness, good puck skills, quick decision-making. Give him some experience and add some weight to that frame and I could see him developing into a very Elias-esque player.

The future here is bright with Zajac, Henrique and Josefson manning the middle for years to come. And with Henrique having the breakout year he's having, that buys time for Josefson to develop. No rush.

• Like 1

The raw talent is visible. Good awareness, good puck skills, quick decision-making. Give him some experience and add some weight to that frame and I could see him developing into a very Elias-esque player.

The future here is bright with Zajac, Henrique and Josefson manning the middle for years to come. And with Henrique having the breakout year he's having, that buys time for Josefson to develop. No rush.

I agree with all of your points. I really think just maturing physically is going to do wonders for his game. As you mention they have depth with Zajac, Elias, and Henrique so it is nice that they can protect him in the line up and not try to rush him into a top 6 role just yet. This kid is just 20 and already has decent NHL experience for his age. I look forward to what he can be like in a few years.

I agree with all of your points. I really think just maturing physically is going to do wonders for his game. As you mention they have depth with Zajac, Elias, and Henrique so it is nice that they can protect him in the line up and not try to rush him into a top 6 role just yet. This kid is just 20 and already has decent NHL experience for his age. I look forward to what he can be like in a few years.

Agree, he needs to thicken up, same with Larsson. JJ seemed a bit board shy coming back.

I'd love to see him shifted to the 2nd line center with patty and clarks every so often

Zajac is only signed through next season. Given his situation right now, who knows if the Devils keep him after that?

yea he's too weak. hopefully by the time elias hangs em up, we can have him take over in good physical condition.

I know some people have high hopes for him, but I never really saw him as a top line talent. From what I've seen and heard, he's more of a solid checking forward that could put up decent offensive numbers in the 40-50 point range, maybe a bit more. I can see him panning out as an above average 3rd line checking center to an average 2nd line pivot.

Josefson is already pretty good in the defensive zone. It also seems as if he's had a least one excellent scoring chance in every game he's been in inspite of his linemates. Unfortunately, he seens to have Zharkov's finishing ability, at least for now. That should change at some point in the future.

I agree that it may be best for him in the AHL. I really like what I've seen from him and he seems to retain confidence even though he hasn't been producing. I don't think you can blame him too much for the lack of production because he appears to me as much more of a playmaker than a scorer and look who is on his line. But it is worth noting that his shooting is pretty good, at least better than last year from what I remember.

I'm not sure why he isn't in Albany right now, getting bigger minutes and hopefully rising to the top down there. He's got plenty of time to develop and right now, there simply isn't space for him in any place that makes sense in NJ. It's similar to the position Henrique was in during the beginning of the year.

Time in Albany will give him some great playing experience at a relatively high competition level and will hopefully give him a chance to bulk up a bit. Overall, it will be better for his development. I hope that when Carter returns, that he will be sent down for a while.

I don't think Josefson is capable of handling a scoreline role at this point in his career. I'm fine with him playing on the 4th line - he makes that line not a black hole, plus he kills penalties - he should be getting 10-11 minutes a game.

If Josefson's smarts were the issue, I'd say this is a problem that he's up here, but he's clearly playing at an NHL level.

Edited by Triumph

I think Josefson could play on our 3rd line now and would fit into the scoring lines a few NHL teams. He's not exactly strong on the puck but he has the skills to keep up with 2 solid wingers at his sides.

The Devils simply don't have room to let non-physical/smaller forwards flourish. We have superstar forwards on our team. No room for Josefson (or Teddy) to develop his game.

Edited by ben00rs