177 replies to this topic

#41 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

It's actually a pretty good haul for CBJ, considering everyone knew Nash wanted out.

#42 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

lol they got two overpaid role players, an overhyped d prospect and a low first rounder for a stud in the prime of his career. Another Sather heist :rant:

This.

I'm not sure how this can be justified as a win for the CBJ. That's just purely wishful thinking.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#43 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

I don't see Nash putting up bigger numbers playing 2/3 of the game in his own end. Unless he is a monster on the pp.

This really isn't that bad for us.

#44 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,514 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

This.

I'm not sure how this can be justified as a win for the CBJ. That's just purely wishful thinking.

It's not wishful thinking. Nash is on a TERRIBLE contract right now. Dubinsky is the kind of forward every team needs more of. Anisimov isn't overpaid at all (neither is Dubinsky). Then there's Erixon who's an interesting player and a 1st round pick, which is whatever. It's a solid haul for a guy who is on an awful contract until the end of time.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#45 Toaster13

Toaster13

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

I think the Rangers win this trade by keeping Kreider, Stepan and McDonagh. Now the Rags have Nash, the Flyers might get Weber and the Pens might sign Semin. The division will get a little harder to play against once again.
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world."

#46 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

Also a 3rd pick going back to the Rangers

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#47 nmm90392

nmm90392

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

we better go hard after semin now

ajq8o1.png

#48 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

It's not wishful thinking. Nash is on a TERRIBLE contract right now. Dubinsky is the kind of forward every team needs more of. Anisimov isn't overpaid at all (neither is Dubinsky). Then there's Erixon who's an interesting player and a 1st round pick, which is whatever. It's a solid haul for a guy who is on an awful contract until the end of time.

Nash cap hit of $7.8 mil until 2018
Richards cap hit of $6.7 mil until 2020

Double ouch.

#49 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

I think that's a fair price to pay for Nash, but I don't get how it makes the Rangers better. Their system last year clearly did not utilize Gaborik's strengths. Won't the same thing happen to Nash? Rangers should have been shopping for someone like Keith Yandle instead.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#50 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

The rangers also get a 3rd rounder and a minor league dman. Columbus is such a joke. Dubinsky and anisimov werent big factors in their first place finish this year. They are a better team now. It would be great if lou would do something cause if philly gets weber then we falling behind the pack for sure.

#51 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,620 posts

What was the rumored package for Nash at the trade deadline? Krieder was involved then right?

No. Columbus pressed to have Kreider included, but the Rags refused at all stages. He was about as untouchable to the Rangers as Larsson is for the Devils.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#52 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,933 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

Typical Rangers. Can't go an offseason without making a desperate headline grab move.

Rick Nash is a good pure goal scorer, but ignores most other facets of the game. And the Rags gave up a ton. 1st rounder (major value) Dubinsky (yes he was over-hyped because he was a Ranger...but still a decent energy/depth forward who can put up 40pts a year. Anisimov is the guy they're really going to regret because he's already turning into a solid 2 way power center who puts up 50-60pts a year. Dont know much about tim erixon but hockeysfuture does project him fairly well

bad move rangers
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#53 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,514 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

The rangers also get a 3rd rounder and a minor league dman. Columbus is such a joke. Dubinsky and anisimov werent big factors in their first place finish this year. They are a better team now. It would be great if lou would do something cause if philly gets weber then we falling behind the pack for sure.

Neither was pretty much anyone besides luck, Henrik Lundqvist, and Ryan McDonagh. I think Sather is falling into the classic trap of assuming player on terminally bad team = magically better when he goes to a better team.

#54 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

I think that's a fair price to pay for Nash, but I don't get how it makes the Rangers better. Their system last year clearly did not utilize Gaborik's strengths. Won't the same thing happen to Nash? Rangers should have been shopping for someone like Keith Yandle instead.

For their sake, they better have a plan for Yandle or someone like him. For our sake, let's hope that Stu Bickel is their fifth best defenseman.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#55 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

Here was what the Rangers offered at the Deadline (Rumored)

http://prohockeytalk...-for-rick-nash/

Columbus GM Scott Howson rejected what is believed a Rangers’ final offer of Dubinsky, 21-year-old defenseman Tim Erixon, 2011 first-rounder J.T. Miller, 2010 second-rounder Christian Thomas and a first-round selection in this June’s Entry Draft.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#56 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

They didn't trade any of their top players to get Rick Nash. That is a win. Especially when CBJ was asking for the moon just weeks ago.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#57 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

Good deal for the Rangers, their offense just got a whole lot scarier. Unlike Gaborik, Nash has grit.

Edited by njdevsftw, 23 July 2012 - 02:17 PM.

Posted Image

#58 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

Good deal for the Rangers, their offense just got a whole lot scarier. Unlike Gaborik, Nash has grit.

And Dubi had much more then both of them combined.

#59 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,514 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

They didn't trade any of their top players to get Rick Nash. That is a win. Especially when CBJ was asking for the moon just weeks ago.

Huh? Everyone asks for the moon. Where was there going to appear a better market? Let's review the facts about Rick Nash:

- He turned 28 a month ago.
- He's not a play driver but no one cares about that so...
- While he's scored 95 goals over the last 3 seasons, which ranks 12th in the league over that span...
- ...he's signed at the 5th highest cap hit in the league and signed until 2018 when he is 36.

The only way this trade is a win is if Columbus was that bad/NYR is that good that he becomes a 40 goal forward who can drive play in New York. I wouldn't bet on that happening. And if the cap goes down and salaries don't get rolled back significantly, Nash is still on a rotten contract. Again, imagine Nash is a UFA - do you want to sign him at that cap hit until 2018? Probably not.

#60 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

This guy has only two 40-goal seasons in his 9-year career and carries a contract with a $7.8M cap hit, and he was sought after? The Rangers deserve this guy, and didn't deserve all that Dubinsky brought.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users