Isles Offered Entire Draft

Mayday

Who's the dumber GM, Snow for offering, or Howson for turning it down?

(...yes, I'm aware, max contract limits and other boring CBA stuff.)

Dare I say Howson? The chance of striking gold increases dramtically with basically 2 picks per round. Thats crazy.

I saw someone say something sensible about this deal - it might've been offered, but only if Yakupov was available at #2. There were rumors that Columbus wasn't going to take Yakupov and you can bet that Montreal was going to take him if he fell to #3. And Yakupov is the sort of player that it might be worth trading one's entire draft for.

I don't know who's dumber: Snow for offering an entire draft, or Howson for turning him down.

Who's the dumber GM, Snow for offering, or Howson for turning it down?

(...yes, I'm aware, max contract limits and other boring CBA stuff.)

Haha, beat me to it.

When I saw the title I thought they'd offered it for the first pick which is goofy enough, but the first player in a draft does have cache. To do that to go up from 4-2 is lunacy though...and to turn it down is just as dumb. It's like the NHL version of Dumb and Dumber.

When I saw the title I thought they'd offered it for the first pick which is goofy enough, but the first player in a draft does have cache. To do that to go up from 4-2 is lunacy though...and to turn it down is just as dumb. It's like the NHL version of Dumb and Dumber.

In one transaction never consummated, you see EXACTLY why the Isles and Columbus are where they are.

• Like 1

I saw someone say something sensible about this deal - it might've been offered, but only if Yakupov was available at #2. There were rumors that Columbus wasn't going to take Yakupov and you can bet that Montreal was going to take him if he fell to #3. And Yakupov is the sort of player that it might be worth trading one's entire draft for.

I saw that too. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. I would have to guess though that the Islanders offered that same deal to Edmonton though if that were the case. Not sure why Edmonton wouldn't do it since they seemed so interested in trading the pick for defensive help...

To add to the craziness on the Island Visnovsky may bolt to the KHL.

I feel bad for them. Hopefully the can actually build off of Tavares/Strome/Reinhart.

And that's why they got him for so cheap lol (a second round pick next year seemed kinda fishy, when they were looking for firsts last year for Vish during the season).

I think Howson is by far the worst GM in the NHL but if they really felt strongly about Ryan Murray, there's no reason to move the #2 just to get extra picks 3 spots after their own pick in each round. The players they really felt strongly about in each round they would take with their own picks at 31, 61, 91 etc. Is it that big of a deal to have the 34th, 64th, 94th as well? Looking at their recent drafts under Howson, they're not exactly hitting on the Henriques and Halischuks of the world with their later picks, so what's the point? Columbus has serious trouble developing talent so they stuck with the guy who is supposed to be the safest guy in the draft and i think given their situation, that makes a lot of sense.

Now if you want to question why Columbus ownership continues to employee someone as GM who needs to draft this way, that's another story...

The Isles like to initiate ELC's early and use them as fodder. There's a decent chance the play here from the Isles perspective was, if they had a guy they wanted, get rid of the rest of the picks because they would be rubbing up on (and probably going over) their 50 man roster.

Also to add, didn't they go defense heavy in the draft? I've heard this. Well defensemen take longer to develop usually and would not be signed as quickly, leading more towards this theory.

Edited by maxpower