GDT: New Jersey DEVILS @ Pittsburgh PENGUINS 1pm

Mayday

We had ten of the thirteen current forwards on our roster last year, losing Parise, Sykora and Ponikarovsky (approximately 60 goals combined). Our roster 'replacements' are currently Matteau, Barch and Harrold. Yeah that ain't gonna cut it Lou.

I hope so. At least he's finally getting some rest in the 3rd period of this game.

Even down 5-1 on a PP we can't get any shots. Unreal.

Little late for that, he still played his 24 minutes. Of course, he'll probably have to pop another groin before they realize they're running him into the ground again the way they did last fall. Even after that he was still playing a minute or two too much and that was with a lineup much deeper than this one.

I know everyone played awful today, but Bryce Salvador is the biggest contract mistake Lou ever made, and to do it when the Devils have to give up a draft pick during the time he's here - this could go very wrong very fast if the people who can actually play get hurt.

Colin White all over again...

Has anyone ever bought out their captain? I kid...for now. Really, Sal isn't anywhere near the biggest problem 'this' year. It's down the road where they're going to either need spots for their young defensemen in the pipeline, or trade a couple of those young defensemen because there's no room that Sal's contract is the issue.

Colin White all over again...

No. Colin White could play in the NHL, and was a good player for many years. The way Salvador is playing right now, he shouldn't be in the NHL, or should be a fill-in defender at best. But no, he's playing 20 minutes. And he has 2 years left on his deal. Oh, and he's the captain, further cementing his roster spot.

Has anyone ever bought out their captain? I kid...for now. Really, Sal isn't anywhere near the biggest problem 'this' year. It's down the road where they're going to either need spots for their young defensemen in the pipeline, or trade a couple of those young defensemen because there's no room that Sal's contract is the issue.

Salvador was not good last year and has begun the year atrocious. Everyone does better without him on the ice.

I didn't expect the Devils to defeat the Penguins but I thought they would be more competitive than just 16 shots. Feel bad for Brodeur - there is only so much a goaltender can do when the team in front of him gets dominated and makes dumb mistakes. I think the effort was there for the Devils, it was just one of those days where a lot went wrong. It's going to happen during the year, onto the next game.

I didn't expect the Devils to defeat the Penguins but I thought they would be more competitive than just 16 shots. Feel bad for Brodeur - there is only so much a goaltender can do when the team in front of him gets dominated and makes dumb mistakes. I think the effort was there for the Devils, it was just one of those days where a lot went wrong. It's going to happen during the year, onto the next game.

I expected the Devils to beat the Penguins.

Doesn't get much fuglier than that. Good Lord.

Oh well, I was hoping for a split this weekend...see what happens tomorrow.

We'll probably see some more games like that this season...this is the kind of team that is capable of losing very ugly.

I know everyone played awful today, but Bryce Salvador is the biggest contract mistake Lou ever made, and to do it when the Devils have to give up a draft pick during the time he's here - this could go very wrong very fast if the people who can actually play get hurt.

+23489343665543

There is absolutely no silver lining to his contract and his position as captain. He is the Jay Leach of the NJ roster and that's not a flattering comparison.

when you combined it with the last three years of this Volchenkov contract, it actually gets worse!

I couldn't agree more. The only thing Salvador may bring is keeping the room together, which I have a feeling has been an ongoing issue for the team.

That being said, he looks like he channels Mark Fraser the way he plays .

Awful game to attend.. The fans were very nice, which helped because in Philly I would have been heckled out of the building

Consol EC is a very nice arena.. Awesome scoreboard, awesome lower concourse and sight lines, but the upper level concourse sucks.. It's small and overcrowded, like an afterthought.. Anyway, here are some photos from the game

are2y3uv.jpg

usezuher.jpg

resyrepe.jpg

aryjy9am.jpg

It's always easy to be polite when your team crushed the visitors.

Very true.. Decent number of Devil fans there too, just wish the team had showed up as well.. I haven't felt that embarrassed since Marty blew it in the Atlantic City charity game.. Oh well, I'm drinking at a church

eqazusy8.jpg

Tri is right, the Salvador deal is a true fiasco.

He wasn't awful in the playoffs...but he did get sort of lucky on some long shots that were deflected in. Made it look like he had a monster postseason (for somebody who had 9 pts in 82 games that is)

Tough to see how Lou would get fooled by something like this. He's about to turn 37 and is in year 1 of this nightmare. He was already showing plenty of wear and tear last season. Was this a loyalty contract. Will Lou hang on to him in spite of what's best for the team just like he did with Odelein from 1996 until 2000?

It wouldn't shock me if Salvador was re-signed mainly because they didn't want to make Kovy captain. There was no other candidate on the roster, other than Elias who has said he doesn't want the C now.

It makes no sense otherwise given their situation on D now and down the road.

It wouldn't shock me if Salvador was re-signed mainly because they didn't want to make Kovy captain. There was no other candidate on the roster, other than Elias who has said he doesn't want the C now.

Zajac perhaps?

I see nothing wrong with going with 3 A's. Captaincy in hockey is overrated anyway.

That is ridiculous. The signing was made because Lamoriello has the utmost respect for Salvador. Loves loves loves him. Everything from his demeanor to his great comeback. The playoff run was just the icing on the cake, and the reason why Lou had to give the years and the money that he did. Even though it didn't make sense, Lou wanted Salvador on this team.