2013 NHL Draft

Derlique

Yeah, if Lindholm is available at 9, you definitely have to take him. I don't care who else still hasn't been picked, you aren't getting much better than him in this draft, outside of the top 4/5. I don't really believe in "bad luck picking Swedes" when Lindholm is regarded as one of the best European prospects this year. If I recall correctly, both Tedenby and Bergfors were seen as risky picks anyway, so I'm not exactly surprised that neither has turned out (yet?). Also, w.r.t. Josefson: injuries are the only reason to say he hasn't worked out. I'm still very confident in his ability to succeed at the NHL level. I agree with Tri about how he may not be a top 6 player, but IMO that's mostly because of the team's depth at center with Loktionov (assuming he's here to stay) and Zajac.

That would be a dream come true if the Devils could get in on a trade with Carolina. I would really like to see Merrill in the NHL for some time this year. Do you think Fayne + 9 could actually get it done?

I love Fayne and feel he's our second best Dman, but I think he's expendable. In the next year, Larsson could easily overtake him. The only problem is that Fayne is only under contract through next season so Carolina might be hesitant. However, he's the type of guy who is extremely underrated so I doubt he'll cost more than 3 per to re-sign. Could be a fit but I'd be willing to add a Tedenby or Burlon (ie. not a very valuable prospect)

I don't see any Devils defenseman on their own helping them move up in the draft.  

Carolina is looking for a cheap, young top 4 dman. He also probably won't be too expensive to extend. 

To NJ: 

5th OA

To Car:

9th OA

Mark Fayne 

(Mattias Tedenby) 

i just can't see this trade happening.  if you are Carolina, you HAVE to realize how valuable that pick is.  I would never trade it for the 9th, Fayne & an AHL player

Carolina's defense stinks. Mark Fayne is extremely underrated but more importantly, cheap and young. Good luck finding a player for that value anywhere else

Why do I have an awful feeling that the Rags will get Carolina's pick in a deal that involves Mark Staal? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

He can be had for no assets in a couple of years

Same with Fayne and Greene.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bob McKenzie's Top 75

1. C Nathan MacKinnon
2. D Seth Jones
3. LW Jonathan Drouin
4. C Aleksander Barkov
5. C Elias Lindholm
6. LW Valeri Nichushkin
7. C Sean Monahan
8. D Rasmus Ristolainen
9. D Darnell Nurse
10. C Max Domi

Craig Button's 1st Round Mock

1. COL - C Nathan MacKinnon
2. FLA - D Seth Jones
3. TB - LW Jonathan Drouin
4. NSH - C Aleksander Barkov
5. CAR - C Sean Monahan
6. CGY - C Elias Lindholm
7. EDM - D Darnell Nurse
8. BUF - W Valeri Nichushkin
9. NJ - G Zachary Fucale
10. DAL - C Alexander Wennberg

I'd be very surprised to see them take Fucale that high.

Bob McKenzie's Top 75

1. C Nathan MacKinnon

2. D Seth Jones

3. LW Jonathan Drouin

4. C Aleksander Barkov

5. C Elias Lindholm

6. LW Valeri Nichushkin

7. C Sean Monahan

8. D Rasmus Ristolainen

9. D Darnell Nurse

10. C Max Domi

Craig Button's 1st Round Mock

1. COL - C Nathan MacKinnon

2. FLA - D Seth Jones

3. TB - LW Jonathan Drouin

4. NSH - C Aleksander Barkov

5. CAR - C Sean Monahan

6. CGY - C Elias Lindholm

7. EDM - D Darnell Nurse

8. BUF - W Valeri Nichushkin

9. NJ - G Zachary Fucale

10. DAL - C Alexander Wennberg

I'd be very surprised to see them take Fucale that high.

gross.

I will admit I am just getting in to the NHL offseason (usually take some time off after the devs get eliminated...well i do follow TG...and I do constantly watch old highlights at work, but I avoid the insanity that takes place here for a month or so in hope to find some cooler heads when i return.....this never works). Once the cup was raised I fired up the 2013-14 season and once again am devouring all the hockey information I can find. The consensus on the board seems to be that Elias Lindholm (my wish) will certainly be gone at 9, but from when I was following the various mocks at the end of the regular season he and often Nichushkin were consistently  available outside the top 10...Just wondering what happened in the last 2 months that has made it such a sure bet Elias2 goes before 9? It does seem like the mocks are all reaching a consensus on this too. I'm just wondering if this is the mock drafters reading each others work, talking to more scouts and getting to a consensus or if there are actual reasons these two have solidified themselves to out of our reach. NHL draft top 10 rarely go as planned so I am a little baffled that so many are writing off our chances at Nichushkin and/or Lindholm. I am holding out hope. Ahhh hope, you fickle b*tch.

Getting really stoked for Sunday and what is sure to be a big offseason in Devilsdom. 

If the first few picks go Mackenzie's way, I could see us moving down. I know Ristolainen and Nurse should be there, and they are damn good players, but I just dont see us taking a D man because of how full our farm system is. Could end up with Domi (although we dont need any more "play makers" under 5'10'') or Shinkaruk and possibly add a pick. It's hard for me to see us moving up with the popularly proposed Carolina deal, but if they would take one of our NHL D and then have Ristolainen or Nurse available at #9, maybe it's more realistic than I originally thought.

Really looking forward to being there on Sunday either way.

gross.

That's just Button's opinion which is probably influenced by the old goalie tandem the Devils have. I wouldn't look too much into it. If the Devils do want Fucale, I bet they find a way to move back so they can get him and another nice prospect. Calgary has 2 late 1st round picks and Montreal has 2 high 2nd round picks.

Interesting link that Neate Sager (Buzzing the Net) retweeted recently. I'm not too familiar with this source but figure they must be decent if he retweeted them.

Edmonton 1260 AM Neutral Zone Blog - Consensus Top 30

For the last few years I've gathering top 30 lists from independent scouting services, main stream media and scouts I have a good relationship with. This years consensus Top 30 comes from 7 scouting services, Bob McKenzie's Final Rankings and three NHL scouts. 

This is not a Mock Draft, I'm still working on that. 

1. Nathan MacKinnon - Center :: 6'2, 182 :: Halifax 

2. Seth Jones - Defence :: 6'3.5, 208 :: Portland

3. Jonathan Drouin - Left Wing :: 5'10, 185 :: Halifax

4. Alexsander Barkov - Center :: 6'3, 209 :: Tappara

5. Valeri Nichushkin - Left Wing :: 6'4, 202 :: Chelyabinsk Traktor

6. Elias Lindholm - Center :: 6'0, 181 :: Brynas 

7. Sean Monahan - Center :: 6'2, 186 :: Ottawa

8. Darnell Nurse - Defence :: 6'4, 189 :: Sault Ste. Marie

9. Alexander Wennberg - Center :: 6'1, 174 :: Djurgarden

10. Nikita Zadorov - Defence :: 6'5, 220 :: London 

11. Rasmus Ristolainen - Defence ::6'4, 220 :: TPS Turku

12. Bo Horvat - Center :: 6'0, 206 :: London

13. Max Domi - Center :: 5'9, 185 :: London

14. Curtis Lazar - Center :: 6'0, 190 :: Edmonton

15. Hunter Shinkaruk - Left Wing :: 5'10, 181 :: Medicine Hat

Why do I have an awful feeling that the Rags will get Carolina's pick in a deal that involves Mark Staal?Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Staal alone wouldn't fetch the 5th overall. They will want a relatively low pick along with a dman. Plus Staals eye injury is a huge concern. Word from a friend of mine who has some connections within the rangers is that Staal is having serious problems tracking the puck when it goes along the boards and he's extremely sensitive to light. They have been trying different things such as tinted visors but nothing has helped much. It would be a huge risk for Carolina to take him. Rags might move into the first round for something but definitely not as low as 5th

I wouldn't mind trading down if A: Lindholm, Nichushkin, and Monahan are gone and B: both Nurse and Ritsolainen are on the board.  These two outcomes are highly correlated, so I think there's a good chance this is what happens  I don't think the Devils have to avoid defense altogether if that's how they feel (unlike most here, I am not sold on Shinkaruk, though I do like Domi and some others), but if they like the Finn or Nurse, try to trade down and take whichever one is there.

I suppose a post focusing on Nurse and Ristolainen would be appropriate.

Darnell Nurse (6'5, 192 lbs) Rankings
- 7th by Future Considerations
- 2nd amongst D by Future Considerations
- 16th by Hockey Prospect
- 11th by Hockey Prospectus
- 4th amongst NA Skaters by Central Scouting Services
- 6th by International Scouting Services
- 9th by Bob McKenzie/TSN
- 8th by Craig Button
- 8th by McKeen's

A blurb from Future Considerations:

SCOUTS QUOTE: “Nurse has the top natural athletic ability in this draft crop and we could be witnessing the humble beginnings of a perennial all-star at the next level. NHL teams will be climbing over each other to get their hands on this big, strong, two-way talent.”

NHL POTENTIAL: Top Pairing Physical Two-Way Defenseman

Some scout quotes on him from Hockey Prospect:

Quotable: “For me Nurse turned a corner in the Czech Republic at the U18. I was not as high on him as others had been coming into the OHL. I felt like he figured out what he was as a player in Brno and that led to much better results on the ice. I don’t see him as top 10 pick because I think his offensive ability is limited and I’m not sure he thinks the game as well as some other Dmen in this draft. I love his physical game and he’s a gamer. Thoughts from NHL guys are all over the map on Nurse.” - Mark Edwards

Quotable: “Nurse is at his best when he is physically manhandling opponents in the corners and in front of the net. When he starts to think too much and try to get overly active in the offensive game is when he starts to run into some trouble. Cutting down on some of these mistakes and keeping things simple will go a long way towards his success at the NHL level” – Kevin Thacker

Quotable: “He’s out of my first round.” NHL Scout

Quotable: “I take at least four other defenseman ahead of Nurse.” Josh Deitell

Quotable: “I see him as a top 10 pick. Early on I never saw what all the fuss was about but he has grown on me.” NHL Scout

Quotable: “So much talk about him, my concern is the hockey sense. I think he has average hockey sense at best. He will play in the NHL but he might top out as nothing all that special.” - NHL Scout

Quotable: “I’d take him in the top 5.” - NHL Scout

You can read what Hockey Prospectus and Craig Button had to say on him with those links.

Rasmus Ristolainen (6'3, 207 lbs) Rankings
- 12th by Future Considerations
- 4th amongst D by Future Considerations
- 9th by Hockey Prospect
- 8th by Hockey Prospectus
- 4th amongst European Skaters by Central Scouting Services
- 11th by International Scouting Services
- 8th by Bob McKenzie/TSN
- 25th by Craig Button
- 21st by McKeen's

A blurb from Future Considerations:

SCOUTS QUOTE: “Opinions are all over the place on this guy as some scouts like him as a top-10 talent and future NHL top four blue liner who plays for 15 year plus seasons while others have doubts and see him struggling with the pace of the NHL game.”

NHL POTENTIAL: Top 4 Two-Way Defenseman

Mark Edwards from Hockey Prospect:

Quotable: “Another guy where the NHL guys I spoke to about him are all over the map. Some say lock for top 10, others say mid 20’s. I am a huge fan of this kid. I love the mean streak I saw in my viewings. He’s in the upper half of the draft for me. I think Zadorov has slightly more room to get better going forward, but I like Risto’s game right now and I think he will be a very good player in the NHL. I spoke to him at the combine and I was impressed. He was shy at first but as he got more comfortable he opened up and even cracked a few jokes. He roomed with Saros and had some fun with that. He joked that Saros was just a kid and so he was the boss. “ – Mark Edwards

You can read what Hockey Prospectus and Craig Button had to say on him with those links.

Doing a lot of reading on Zadorov, Nurse, and Ristolainen. I feel like Nurse has the most potential out of the bunch but is the riskiest. He has a frame that should fill out nicely but there seem to be a lot of questions about his hockey sense. Natural athletic ability could take him to the NHL but will he end up a bottom or top pairing guy?

Ristolainen seems to have the most offensive polish out of the bunch without a doubt while Zadorov's is untapped as he focused only on his D game in Russia before joining the OHL. Ristolainen is aggressive and will take risks in all 3 zones and it sounds like he will have to learn to be more careful not to get burned. Still, sounds like he has the best offensive capabilities of the D in this draft after Jones.

Zadorov is also big (6'5, 221 lbs.) like Nurse and Ristolainen. He's a very good skater and physical. He's progressed well in his first OHL season, learning to let the play come to him and improving his puck skills. He uses his body effectively and intelligently. His shot needs work and his offensive game is still raw, causing some doubt to his overall potential. Even without the offensive game I think he could be a solid top 4 D. I actually think I prefer him over Nurse and Ristolainen.

Staal alone wouldn't fetch the 5th overall. They will want a relatively low pick along with a dman. Plus Staals eye injury is a huge concern. Word from a friend of mine who has some connections within the rangers is that Staal is having serious problems tracking the puck when it goes along the boards and he's extremely sensitive to light. They have been trying different things such as tinted visors but nothing has helped much. It would be a huge risk for Carolina to take him. Rags might move into the first round for something but definitely not as low as 5th

I don't have any sources, but I think Staal has big problems with the eye.   Along the lines of White.   If it doesn't go away he's going to have to re-learn the position.   Not saying he won't be able to play, but if you throw him into a playoff game and he feels it goes bad enough that he's done playing for the rest of the playoffs....