Lightning-Flyers Game 6 game thread

Elias Sports Bureau

oy Vey - I really wanted Tampa to pull this out... I shouted at the Tv with 2 minutes on the Clock.. SCORE... unfortunately.. it was the wrong team that listened!

Oh well, one more shot!!! Keeping my fingers crossed.

I thought the players were getting too physical towards the end, but the refs didnt make one or two calls and therefore were not making any at the risk of having an angry team... i dunno.. just thought a few calls should have been made.

Some really nice looking goals.. I only saw a few!!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Few things, now I only saw the last 10 minutes of the 3rd and ot...and TB was bad, giveaways all over, I didn;t see the effort, Philly won every free puck....of course it helped that everytimg Tb was in the off zone phily grabbed held and often tacked the lightning.... but seriously Philly really used the size to their advantage....

TB needs much more energy to win game 7....

Some really nice looking goals.. I only saw a few!!

oh don't worry I'm sure ESPN will be issuing copies of the Primeau goal to open

each hour of TV and not only that.. it will:

-- be the intro screen on TiVos for decades to come

-- Will be the demo screen for all TV Ads

-- be used in collective bargaining

-- will replace Melrose AND Don Cherry in interview segments

-- win NBA fans to the NHL

-- and be the cause behind the re-birth of Christ himself as he re-claims his title as

savior of man... and Inter-Continental Champion !! :rolleyes:

Jester stop bitching about the refs. A game #6 OT you put the whistles away unless it's a hook on a clean breakaway.

Frasier is the best referee in the NHL because he calls very little and let's the teams decide it.

Funny how you bitched the last three pages about St. Louis getting held but failed to mention the slash he gave Zhamnov on his open glove hand clearly trying to injure him. St. Louis is no little angel.

It was a great game, and I hope it's just as close in game #7!

And everyone here who's riping Primeau clearly isn't watching this for the hockey value, but the hatred value.

Primeau is possessed these playoffs much like Stevens was when you won your Cups, just give him his dues.

Edited by Eztarget

Funny how you bitched the last three pages about St. Louis getting held but failed to mention the slash he gave Zhamnov on his open glove hand clearly trying to injure him.  St. Louis is no little angel.

Yeah because he go f'in ASS RAPED by Brashear 30 seconds earlier. Why didn't you mention that?

Edited by NJayDevil

Primeau is possessed these playoffs much like Stevens was when you won your Cups, just give him his dues.

he will never be as big as an impact as Stevens so no, I'm not giving him any dues.

Stevens has been a great captain for 10+ years, Primeau has for a month, he's got a while to go to get to Stevens level and until then, he's just a novice.

unfortunately Crasher.. I saw the Primeu goal just after we were saying we hope he doesnt score so we dont have to hear how he is LEGEND!!

unfortunately Crasher.. I saw the Primeu goal just after we were saying we hope he doesnt score so we dont have to hear how he is LEGEND!!

*lol*

I decided to go out to eat (since after 3 hours of hockey I didn't feel like makin food)

and watched the game on mute till OT (thank God!).. and when they stopped showing

the replay mid game THEY SHOWED IT FOUR TIMES DURING THE NETS GAME

*sigh* I guess it's some exposure to the NHL right..... :noclue:

That was an incredible game. It was wild. I got to really hand it to Primeau. He's unbelievable. Tampa has nobody that can contain him. Hitchcock made a brilliant move putting Roenick and Gagne with him. Too much of Primeau's size and you add that type of skill and it's tough to contain.

I don't know how Tampa will respond in Game Seven. On one hand, this is what they worked all season for. To have the defining game on home ice. On the other, they lost a heartbreaker. No other way to put it. They showed resiliency coming back to take the lead (Fedotenko was amazing). But after coming out good in the third with some forechecking, they just stopped. And once you let the Flyers start gaining the zone and winning board battles with their size, it's tough. They hold, hook and do whatever they can to keep the puck in. And the refs aren't going to call it because they don't want to decide the game. Tampa can't let the Flyers dictate Game Seven this way or they're done.

One turning point that few pointed out was that horrible turnover by Esche. St. Louis had the series on his stick and hit the post. If he scores there, the series was over. He hit the post and it cameback to haunt Tampa.

I also agree that that tying goal Primeau got was some bounce. You couldn't have drew it up any better for him. He's been the best player these playoffs and he deserved it. I hate saying that but it's true.

So how does Tortorella get his young gang ready after that? He has no one that can match-up with Primeau. The Lightning really miss Jassen Cullimore this series. He was their one horse that could have helped neutralize Primeau. Then Kubina could have paired with him and that would have meant no Sydor against that incredible hulk.

But hey, every team has injuries. The Flyers are doing this without their best defenseman, Eric Desjardins. It's who has the will and grit that wins these games.

Can Tampa bounceback? I'm not sure. It's going to depend on who comes out and sets the tone. If it's physical and forechecking, that's the Flyers' game. If Tampa can force them into neutral zone turnovers and use their speed and skill to create chances, that's their game.

I think this has been a really good series. Whoever takes it will have earned it. Hopefully, the Lightning have it in them. Can anyone criticize Lecavalier anymore? This guy is awesome.

Jester stop bitching about the refs.  A game #6 OT you put the whistles away unless it's a hook on a clean breakaway.

Who does? You do?

Face it: not calling anything in the OT seriously favors a big, old plodding team like Philly and seriously hinders a swift transition team like Tampa. What exactly are the Bolts supposed to do when the Flyers' defense is reduced to wrapping up guys in Big John Studd bearhugs all around the offensive zone?

I just think it's disgusting that they referee by the book for three periods, and then stop enforcing the rules as soon as OT hits. That goes for this or any game. Like I said, I understand not calling the petty stuff. But what are we afraid of here? Somebody winning on a power play? That never happens in regulation, does it?

<JESTER>

Edited by NJD Jester

he will never be as big as an impact as Stevens so no, I'm not giving him any dues.

Stevens has been a great captain for 10+ years, Primeau has for a month, he's got a while to go to get to Stevens level and until then, he's just a novice.

Thank you NJay :wub: for filling in my role as keeper during my absence! :P

So Derek -- I don't get it - why can't anyone contain Primeau? I mean I get they they can't and I'm not disagreeing but what's going on? I didn't watch so I can't see what's going on - but what the BFD? I mean sure sometimes you get a little something intangeable this time of year -- Are people taking him for granted or something? I mean that would be easy since you have more stars you may be concerning yourself with -- anyone watching have any SPECIFIC thoughts? Are they modifying to cover him or being to rigid in everyone sticking to their man?

HEY... I think I'll ask Scott Stevens that if he has 20 questions! Nahhh... it's probably not something he'd answer. You can't do that in a public forum. It's kind of disrespectful to everyone who faced him. <_< oh well...

Jester stop bitching about the refs.  A game #6 OT you put the whistles away unless it's a hook on a clean breakaway.

Who does? You do?

Face it: not calling anything in the OT seriously favors a big, old plodding team like Philly and seriously hinders a swift transition team like Tampa.

I just think it's disgusting that they referee by the book for three periods, and then stop enforcing the rules as soon as OT hits. That goes for this or any game. Like I said, I understand not calling the petty stuff. But what are we afraid of here? Somebody winning on a power play? That never happens in regulation, does it?

<JESTER>

You just described the Devils defense when Stevens and Daneyko were playing.

Wow this explains the Devils dominant and STELLAR overtime record :rolleyes:

Tampa isn't a plodding team?

Sarich, Lukowich, Pratt, Kubina on defense, they're not slow, right?

Bad argument, Jester. Get out of 1997, the Flyers are only slow on defense, same with Tampa. The Flyers have Zhamnov, Amonte, Kapanen, Gagne, Recchi, etc. up front. Leclair and Primeau are the only 'plodders'.

I didn't see any unfair refereeing.

You just described the Devils defense when Stevens and Daneyko were playing.

While players like Stevens Dano and White can be correctly called "big and plodding," I think the Devils had more team speed than the Flyers in each of their three Cup years. The Devils were a dynamic team in the neutral zone in each of those seasons--the Flyers' forechecking in OT consisted of hugging the guy next to you like he was your best girl, until someone could force the puck behind the net.

<JESTER>

Tampa isn't a plodding team?

Sarich, Lukowich, Pratt, Kubina on defense, they're not slow, right?

Bad argument, Jester. Get out of 1997, the Flyers are only slow on defense, same with Tampa. The Flyers have Zhamnov, Amonte, Kapanen, Gagne, Recchi, etc. up front. Leclair and Primeau are the only 'plodders'.

I didn't see any unfair refereeing.

Reechi and Zhamnov aren't going to make anyone forget Tom Chorske when it comes to speed.

I'll say it again: If the referees are going to allow everything in an overtime, which team benefits more? The team of St. Louis, Lecavalier, Modin, Richards, Boyle and Stillman, or the Flyers?

<JESTER>

[i'll say it again: If the referees are going to allow everything in an overtime, which team benefits more? The team of St. Louis, Lecavalier, Modin, Richards, Boyle and Stillman, or the Flyers?]

Refs always put their whistles in their pockets and leave them there once OT starts in the playoffs, Jester. It's how it's always been and how it will always be. It's the nature of the beast. No ref wants to be the one who helped decide a series or a cup-winning game by whistling guys off to the sin bin short of decapitation, dismemberment, and amputation.

Both teams got away with a lot of crap last night in the extra session and DAMN did it make for some absolutely GREAT hockey.

What a series this has been!!! :dance:

IceThief

Hahahaha!!!! Oh, *wipes tear*, you people are too much, with your conspiracy theories and all. Philly raped tampa, and no calls? The non-calls were absolutely HORENDOUS on both sides, please. How did anyone miss the 6 men on the ice for Tampa? How about the raping of Handzus when he was on a partial breakaway? Yet, none of this is mentioned.

BTW, you have GOT to be kidding me about the Thorne/Clement thing, about them loving the Flyers. 80-90% of their jabber is all about Lecavalier and St. Loois, and how good they are, and how unstoppable they are, etc. etc. Jeez, your haterd for the Flyers has really blindd you to the truth, with HILARIOUS RESULTS! :lol::lol::lol: