Favorite Ironbound Restaurants

95Crash

OK, I know there's already a great thread going about all the many fine restaurants and bars located around the Rock, but I'm specifically looking to hear what are people's favorite Ironbound restauarants. Rather than having to go back and search through that enitre thread, I was hoping people could just list their faves here. And please try to tell why you like them so much!

The only place I've eaten at is Boi Na Brasa. Absolutely bangin' rodizio.

I've been there 3 times since August.. Everything is fantastic.. I enjoyed the rodizio but you really have to be in a meaty mindset.. Unfortunately I was feeling like I should be dieting so I didn't eat as much as I could have

They always have a special that's chicken or veal stuffed with ham and cheese in a brandy sauce.. I could eat it every meal for the rest of my life and still love it

Edited by Colin226

MmmBello's is a great pre-game sports bar with bar food/Spanish stuff that's a cut above most bars, and won't break the bank. they also have a crazy selection of beer from around the world. You'll pay a bit for that, but worth it IMO, and if not, go for the food and drink Bud or some other watery piss beer.

Casa Basca is amazing. Their portions are huge, and their food is some of the best I've had. Order the specials. They rarely cost more and the owner buys the freshest stuff in the morning for that menu. They also give you enough food to last 2 or 3 meals. I got the garlic squid, leek and ham soup, and a couple of seafood appetizers last time I was there. All amazing. You can't go wrong with the sangria either.

Iberia is the big classic. Good food, a little more expensive than some of the smaller places, but the parking validation is a great deal. I like Casa Basca better, but Iberia has a bigger menu, and the service is faster, which is useful if you're cutting it close for a 7:00 game. Portions are huge.

There's a decent barbecue joint on ferry if you're feeling takeout. Forget the name, but they make the food on big open grills and you can watch. Portions are huge (noticing a trend?); I got a half order of ribs when I went and it was plenty.

Krug's Tavern is also in the Ironbound. Sort of doesn't count since it isn't Portugese/Brazilian/Spanish fare. Best burger ever though.

I'll vote Mompou for tapas fare.

Yes Krug's Tavern has the best burgers.. I'm personally addicted to the Pizza burger with their homemade spicy marinara sauce.. Try the cheese fries as well!!

So far, I've only tried one place, Fernandes, which is way way down there in Ironbound, too far to walk to the arena. But on a few recommendations, I went and ordered the Steak on a Tile, which was delicious. The meat was like butter; it literally melted in my mouth. It isn't even on the menu; I had to request it. Also the garlic shrimp and the sangria were excellent.

I am anxious to try a different place next time I go -- that's why I asked for other recommendations. Keep 'em coming!

I love Fernandez and the steak on the tile but Fornos, mompou and catas are a nice change of pace. I happen to like Rio Cruz/the lunch place which is 3 to 4 buildings over from MMM Bellos. I like the bar at Adega (cheaper and a better "view" than the restaurant)and people swear by the seafood at seabra's marisqueira. There are also neat places like Campino's and the Spanish Sangria hidden like Fernandez is in the back end of the Ironbound.

I love Fernandez and the steak on the tile but Fornos, mompou and catas are a nice change of pace. I happen to like Rio Cruz/the lunch place which is 3 to 4 buildings over from MMM Bellos. I like the bar at Adega (cheaper and a better "view" than the restaurant)and people swear by the seafood at seabra's marisqueira. There are also neat places like Campino's and the Spanish Sangria hidden like Fernandez is in the back end of the Ironbound.

Mompou is fantastic. Check out their wine tasting dinners. Catas is a nice option, and if you want to go deep, try MiSaVi or SolMar.

Don't think any of those places work pre-game.

Fornos = blah. Never will go back.

Seabra's has a few locations, which of their restaurants are you asking about? I am not a fan of Rio 21 which is theirs, i just figure at that point go to Bio na Brasa.

I meant Seabra Marisqueira, which you mentioned a few posts back. Since Copper Kettle didn't like Fornos, I was wondering what, if anything, he thought of Seabra Marisqueira, which gets four and a half stars on Yelp.

It looks like I will finally be trying Boi Na Brasa next week. My wife has a $25 off coupon for there. If it wasn't for that, I probably would've tried either Fornos or Mompou.

Funny enough, I've never been to any Seabra's location, even working in Newark for 9 years, and going to concerts/shows at NJPAC, Devils games at The Rock, etc.

I do like Adega too, though with drinks, you can expect the bill to be a bit on the high side compared to the other places. Agreed re: the scenery at Adega bar, if you can find a seat while the Portuguese league games are on!

Sagres makes a mean cocktail, but I only had lunch there once, years ago.

Sagres is best when the weather is nice to sit outside as they must set up 20-40 tables for you to sit outside and soak it all up. Marisqueira usually come recommended for seafood but so does Fornos and I have enjoyed both. Mompou is lounge like and I would suggest for a good post game chill down. Catas is a very similar scene to Mompou and is worth going to at least once.I'm no a huge Sol Mar fan but some people swear by it. Alot depends on your scene and what you are in there for as some places play better to large crowds or families and other are cool to just chill at.

• 2 months later...

For Italian - Assaginni Di Roma. Great food but can be a little hard to find since it is in the middle of a neighbor hood. Look for the green awning and the double parked cars (almost like a speak easy). Never had a bad meal. I believe they cater for some of the teams when they come in also

Edited by madams9

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...