Rumor from Russian hockey writer: Kovy considering staying in KHL

JWomp

]Genadi Boguslavski‏@GenadiB

Kovalchuk will play today in Kazan. Some sources close to SKA say he could stay in Russia #Devils

That is from a Russian hockey writer and it was RTed by McKenzie, who then added:

]Bob McKenzie‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

I've heard Kovalchuk rumors (staying in RUS?) but not able to confirm. NJD told me they "haven't heard (Kovy) isn't coming back."

I don't buy it, but it's worth noting. Especially since Kovy has threatened to stay in the KHL before: http://www.cbc.ca/sp...uk-lockout.html

Edited by JWomp

Wouldn't he be allowed to play today because the CBA is not signed? I think so..

Yeah, he could theoretically play up to Friday. We'll know soon enough, but I don't put a ton of stock in this. Everyone said he was playing today and a lot of guys have already left.

Plus...Kovalchuks life is in NJ now. His daughter goes to school here, his wife's job is here. Believe me he is probably very happy at the prospect of seeing them more often especially with a lighter travel schedule this year (no western conf. games)

I'm scared now.

I wasn't worried (I figured he wanted one last game with SKA...after all, he is their captain and has been having fun over there), but if he really said that...ugh. Hopefully it's just sh!tty Russian reporting, like when they reported Bryzgalov was leaving the KHL because the "lockout was over" and then Bryz denied saying that.

Here's the link to the tweet:

Kovalchuk says, 'I will need to read the new agreement' before he decides what to do next. So there... #NJDevils

— Slava Malamud (@SlavaMalamud)

January 8, 2013

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ilya-kovalchuk-staying-khl-rumors-flying-142337323--nhl.html

Puck Daddy’s Dmitry Chesnokov throws some more water on this fire:

“I think he is just staying to play another game or so. Not staying for a while. Andrei Markov, I am told, is also still in Russia and may play in the next game for his team. I wouldn’t say this is serious.

Also, the KHL pretty much conceded that none of the NHLers will play in its ASG in a few days. That includes Kovalchuk. Although I heard that the KHL wanted to ask the NHL to allow their players to participate.”

Posted this in the lockout thread, but more appropo here:

You guys are getting swept up in the sensationalism of Twitter reporting. The lack of publicity and openness in the Devils organization means that we get Twitter rumor nonsense every once in a while, especially when Kovalchuk is concerned. "Sources in Russia" are usually as reliable as the town gossipers, at best. If you don't think their coaches and league heads have an inferiority complex, and will for KHL to achieve more legitimacy/dominance, you're naive. If your "sources in Russia" are a coach or a league head, or even his mom, you know how they're going to spin it.

Kovalchuk is an emotional player. He was named captain, and led a very skilled and respectable team, and I'm assuming a large proud fanbase. He owes NOTHING to the NHL, the league that locked him out twice in his career, other than to book a flight on Thursday when the players are set to vote on the CBA. Someone like Kovy probably feels like he owes the SKA fans and his teammates a game or two before rushing to pack his bags for a league that took a crap on him yet again (lockout 1, bullsh!t trade procedure/fine, lockout 2, etc.)... He's in peak physical shape, why SHOULD he come back before camp?

Post from other thread:

It's TFP, so it's probably as credible as anyone else's word on these boards, but take it for what it's worth:

http://www.thefourth.../njd130108.html

Kovalchuk's preference, the source said, was to finish the week with SKA and then return to New Jersey.

"He will be in New Jersey for the start of camp," the source told TFP. "Technically, there is no (CBA) yet, so he can keep playing in for SKA until (the CBA) is official."

Larry Brooks @NYP_Brooksie

Last Friday, Malkin, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk were preparing press release to announce they intended to remain in KHL regardless...Told that quartet had been promised immense amount of money (guarantee from Putin) to stay in KHL and not return to NHL...Told that NHLPA was able to talk players out of issuing statement...Ovechkin has returned, Datsyuk has pledged to honor last 2 yrs with Det

Larry Brooks @NYP_Brooksie

Last Friday, Malkin, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk were preparing press release to announce they intended to remain in KHL regardless...Told that quartet had been promised immense amount of money (guarantee from Putin) to stay in KHL and not return to NHL...Told that NHLPA was able to talk players out of issuing statement...Ovechkin has returned, Datsyuk has pledged to honor last 2 yrs with Det

If anyone beyond Visnovsky and some fringe guys(maybe), no one's staying in the KHL. Bad flight safety records, it's fvcking cold, Siberia, cold, lots of travel, really cold. Guys are gonna come back.

If anyone beyond Visnovsky and some fringe guys(maybe), no one's staying in the KHL. Bad flight safety records, it's fvcking cold, Siberia, cold, lots of travel, really cold. Guys are gonna come back.

I don't doubt that, but it's crazy to think that there was at least some talk of those 4 guys staying. I wonder if Brooks' source is reliable or if it's sensationalized BS.

I don't doubt that, but it's crazy to think that there was at least some talk of those 4 guys staying. I wonder if Brooks' source is reliable or if it's sensationalized BS.

I think Russia is really worried that the NHL is not going to let its top players leave for the Olympics next year and is trying to put pressure on the league to allow them to do that. I don't know how much leverage they have in that regard.

Brooks is a PA source so if he's saying the PA was involved... Datsyuk would be a little weird included in that group.

Kovalchuk has played this leverage game with SKA before, he did it in between contracts in 2010. Not sure what the hell he thinks his leverage is, maybe he goofily thinks he's going to get his full $11M for year 3 on his deal if he doesn't show up until September.

Edited by maxpower