Oduya

LOULAM1

I honestly wonder what the market value for Johnny Orr will be. His numbers aren't anything spectacular, but his skill set is impressive and he has successfully adjusted his game to the NHL (after a few years). Here's hoping Lou can keep him at a reasonable price!

You might want to rename the "4 years 4 million" part of the thread, i thought you were implying that Oduya received an extension. I am not sure of Oduyas market value but I would not really want to give him 4 million although I would not be surprised if another team threw it at him. Hes a great player but I am not too positive of spending that much on him.

You might want to rename the "4 years 4 million" part of the thread, i thought you were implying that Oduya received an extension. I am not sure of Oduyas market value but I would not really want to give him 4 million although I would not be surprised if another team threw it at him. Hes a great player but I am not too positive of spending that much on him.

I totally agree.

I thought we already signed him to an extension when I originally saw the thread title.

A lot of the folks around here will get quickly pissed off at the misleading caption.

I would lock Andy Greene up to a 3 or 4 year contract before him. Like i said early in the year, Greene will be the best of the three UFA defensmen in 2 years if he isn't already. I am aware he was unlucky on that pinch but the fact remains he is extremely solid and intelligent.

Unless Oduya takes a hometown discount, he'll be raking in $3-4M long-term come the off-season. As such, I would just let him go. Salmela's skillset is akin to Oduya's in some ways, in fact Salmela probably has better offensive abilities. And as Jason said, Andy Greene is shaping up to a be a solid, heady defender.

All in all, Oduya is a replaceable commodity. Put that $4M towards Bouwmeester, or buy low on someone like Jordan Leopold.

Edited by Voros19

Seriously.....he only became a consistantly good player the second half of last season. Before that everyone was calling for his head due to mistakes in front of the net. That being said, I think we would have to let him walk if he doesn't sign for 2-3 mil for 4.

I would lock Andy Greene up to a 3 or 4 year contract before him. Like i said early in the year, Greene will be the best of the three UFA defensmen in 2 years if he isn't already. I am aware he was unlucky on that pinch but the fact remains he is extremely solid and intelligent.

I don't know what Greene you're watching?

Greene will be lucky if he can stay on this team when White returns unless he gets going real quick. He's starting to look more and more like last year's Andy.

....although I hope this does change.

i would definitely give him at least 3.5M for 4 years.

jason, andy greene lacks the physical skills that oduya has. and he's only a year younger than johnny oduya - oduya's play at this time last year was much, much better than andy greene's. andy greene is a depth defender whose upside is the 2nd pairing and who will belong nowhere near a top pairing.

i would definitely give him at least 3.5M for 4 years.

jason, andy greene lacks the physical skills that oduya has. and he's only a year younger than johnny oduya - oduya's play at this time last year was much, much better than andy greene's. andy greene is a depth defender whose upside is the 2nd pairing and who will belong nowhere near a top pairing.

I don't think Oduya has top pair potential either. I think he is a #3 defensmen at best. Lou and Sutter have sheltered him quite a bit. While I think he is more physical then Greene, intelligence allows Andy to make his job that much easier. Greene can continue to work on core and leg strength and if he does get even stronger on the puck, he is intelligent enough to play PK, PP and 2nd pair.

I don't think Oduya has top pair potential either. I think he is a #3 defensmen at best. Lou and Sutter have sheltered him quite a bit. While I think he is more physical then Greene, intelligence allows Andy to make his job that much easier. Greene can continue to work on core and leg strength and if he does get even stronger on the puck, he is intelligent enough to play PK, PP and 2nd pair.

sheltered him? he played with paul martin last year and that line was + a billion. this year he's played with almost everyone and he is once again a huge +. when andy greene develops the speed that oduya has maybe he will be good, until then, forget it. he's a better PP QB but like all the devils defensemen he has a terrible shot.

I'd like to see Greene's intelligence translate into making proper passes on the PP, he failed missing two wide open passes and instead turned the puck over by stickhandling, and using his smarts to avoid being out of position in the defensive and neutral zone. Until then I'll probably fail to see his hockey smarts as being great.

Edited by Devils731

sheltered him? he played with paul martin last year and that line was + a billion. this year he's played with almost everyone and he is once again a huge +. when andy greene develops the speed that oduya has maybe he will be good, until then, forget it. he's a better PP QB but like all the devils defensemen he has a terrible shot.

I don't know about you but If I were Greene I would much rather play with Paul Martin then Jay Leech, even though jay has done a wonderful job. Oduya is learning every day but he still makes bonehead plays in the defensive zone rather then the simple safe play that Greene makes 95% of the time.

On the PP its hard to blame Greene, nobody is playing on the PP with confidence and that will come as they become more comfortable.