#1 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:50 PM

http://www.canada.co...s...6ac&k=21071

Professional hockey player Jay Bouwmeester pleaded guilty this morning to impaired driving.

The Edmonton-born defenceman, who plays for the Florida Panthers, was fined $1,000, plus a $150 victims' services surcharge. His driver's licence was suspended in Canada for 12 months, but the judge said he didn't know what that would mean for driving in Florida.

An off-duty officer saw Bouwmeester driving erratically in Old Strathcona at about 4 a.m. on Aug. 12, 2006. He had to swerve to avoid a collision with Bouwmeester's truck and watched him make an illegal right turn over two lanes.

Once he was pulled over, Bouwmeester apologized to the officer. When asked why he was apologizing, he said, "because I was driving and I had too much too drink."

He faced one charge of impaired driving and one of driving with a blood-alcohol level over .08. He said nothing in court today other than "Guilty."
------------
Hopefully he learned his lesson. I wonder if there is any action taken against him by the NHL?

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#2 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:19 PM

Thats pretty bad for the young guy. Hopefully he learns from it because he will probably become one of the faces of the franchise.

#3 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:50 PM

he seems to know he did wrong. still doesnt excuse it, but at least that will help make it less likely to happen again.

#4 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:52 PM

either that or it was a "cry for help" as they say, and we'll be seeing a lot more of it.

I'm here for the party

#5 brodeurrocks

brodeurrocks

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 04:51 PM

This is too bad. He is a great young talent that hopefully will get back on track.

Posted Image

Official Keeper of David Clarkson's Open Ice Hits!

Official Keeper of the stains on Chico's shirt and tie from "Chico Eats" episodes!

#6 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:41 PM

Kick him from the league. This sh!t disgusts me, especially considering he is a young kid. What if he hit some family? This can never be tolerated and is a total joke that people are given a slap on the wrist for it.

Be responsible when you drink, or dont drink at all. period.

#7 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:29 PM

Kick him from the league. This sh!t disgusts me, especially considering he is a young kid. What if he hit some family? This can never be tolerated and is a total joke that people are given a slap on the wrist for it.

Be responsible when you drink, or dont drink at all. period.

Yea, thats exactly what you do....kick him from the league along with the other huge portion who drink and drive but never got caught.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#8 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:45 PM

Kicking him out of the leauge wont help and is not a good idea.

There seems to be a lot of this in the NHL at the moment, and it needs to be adressed.

I dont know if this goes on in the NHL , but all youth football players in England have to go through education sessions on alcohol abuse, and i know in some clubs such as united that the implimented a policy that if you get caught doing in the most servere action is they can terminate your contract.

After all this came in the number of players involved in incidents came right down.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#9 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:52 PM

There will be an absolutely huge discrepancy between that treatment that Bouwmeester gets from the league and what Bell got. The league will make an example of the lessers of the league and discretions by the stars will get swept under the carpet.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#10 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:11 PM

Yea, thats exactly what you do....kick him from the league along with the other huge portion who drink and drive but never got caught.

Start somewhere. He doesn't deserve to play if he is that socially irresponsible.

Kicking him out of the leauge wont help and is not a good idea.

I dont think its going to help. I think its punishment for doing something really stupid. Its not about learning a lesson or setting a standard, its about holding people accountable.

Edited by squishyx, 04 September 2007 - 07:12 PM.

#11 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,844 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:33 PM

Start somewhere. He doesn't deserve to play if he is that socially irresponsible.
I dont think its going to help. I think its punishment for doing something really stupid. Its not about learning a lesson or setting a standard, its about holding people accountable.

The problem with that is a lot of athletes are irresponsible. We just don't hear about them and that probably includes your team. I guess they should just kick out everyone.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#12 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:07 AM

The problem with that is a lot of athletes are irresponsible. We just don't hear about them and that probably includes your team. I guess they should just kick out everyone.

I really don't care if an athlete goes our and gets drunk and sleeps with Paris Hilton. I'd care if he drove while intoxicated and put other peoples lives in danger because of his or her own stupidity.

Drunk driving is never excusable and no one should be above it.

#13 devilsadvoc8

devilsadvoc8

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:12 AM

Come on! He probably can't afford the cab fare.
Official Keeper of the 3 story statue of a hockey player by the artist J. Krawczyk.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence- Christopher Hitchens

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#14 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:17 AM

The Panthers should give him a punishment in some way, i know they wont but i think they should. It would be clausable and just responsible to.

#15 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:44 AM

friends don't let friends plead guilty...
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#16 devilsadvoc8

devilsadvoc8

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:48 AM

friends don't let friends plead guilty...

Just ask Michael Vick...............
Official Keeper of the 3 story statue of a hockey player by the artist J. Krawczyk.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence- Christopher Hitchens

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#17 threestars

threestars

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:49 AM

Just ask Michael Vick...............

I think this was number 500,000

Posted Image

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Lowell Devils' Goalies: Frank Doyle and (co-keeper) Jordan Parise; Keeper of former Ottawa Senator Dean McAmmond; co-Keeper of David Clarkson; Keeper of the first goal at The Rock (thank you Meszaros/Neil) and the first EN goal at The Rock (thanks Alfie); and co-Keeper of NJDevs.com Keepers.

Proud recipient of the 2008 NJDevs.com Joe Nieuwendyk Award for Best Non-Devils Fan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

GO SENS GO!!!Posted ImageGO SENSGO!!!

I curse you Noah Webster for your defamation of the English language. I spit on you.

#18 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:49 AM

I think this was number 500,000

how can you tell

#19 threestars

threestars

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:51 AM

how can you tell

Because I am very sad and was pressing refresh every second :ph34r:

Posted Image

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Lowell Devils' Goalies: Frank Doyle and (co-keeper) Jordan Parise; Keeper of former Ottawa Senator Dean McAmmond; co-Keeper of David Clarkson; Keeper of the first goal at The Rock (thank you Meszaros/Neil) and the first EN goal at The Rock (thanks Alfie); and co-Keeper of NJDevs.com Keepers.

Proud recipient of the 2008 NJDevs.com Joe Nieuwendyk Award for Best Non-Devils Fan

GO SENS GO!!!Posted ImageGO SENSGO!!!

I curse you Noah Webster for your defamation of the English language. I spit on you.

#20 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:51 AM

lol wow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users