New NHL forces Domi to consider retiring

Rock

New NHL forces Domi to consider retiring

Former pugilist weighing his options

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story....a4e&k=81404

Tie Domi's dream of retiring as a member of the Maple Leafs vanished when he was bought out of his contract this summer.

And now the 36-year-old, who vowed he would never play for another team, is reportedly close to hanging up his skates for good.

"Right now we're weighing our options and deciding if he's going to play or not, as opposed to negotiating a new contract," said Domi's agent Pat Morris, adding that there has been little interest around the league for his client.

"The jump-off point could come during training camp."

Domi, who celebrated his 1,000th game in the league last season, is third amongst the all-time penalty minutes leaders. But in a new NHL that rewards skill more than skirmishes, his US$1.5-million price tag was too high for a fourth-line checker.

"The change in the game, the rules, the way it was going to be called, the transition game the speed, those things didn't play to his strength," Leafs general manager John Ferguson said when he bought out the fan favourite for US$833,333 over the next two years.

Domi had just five goals and 16 points last season and was benched for the first time in his 10 years as a Leaf. His 109 penalty minutes represented his lowest total since the 1989-90 campaign.

"In the new NHL, there's less enforcing and less fighting," said Morris. "It was the coach's decision to play younger guys and faster guys."

In an effort to prove he is more than an unskilled brawler, Domi set about to reinvent his game this summer. He began working out with a personal trainer five times a week, started eating healthy and cut back on his business commitments.

Morris said his client was starting to reap the benefits of his new training regimen when Domi hit a "speed bump" -- reinjuring his shoulder and hip.

"With that stuff, you don't get up in the mornings without hurting," said Morris. "Where he's successful is being a physical player, so he's just weighing those considerations as to whether he's able to play or not."

If he decides to retire, Domi would do so as one of the most celebrated enforcers in the history of the NHL. His 3,515 career penalty minutes put him behind only Tiger Williams and Dale Hunter on the all-time list. And in Toronto, where Domi spent 10 seasons, he holds the single-season (365) and career (2,265) record for penalty minutes.

"He did a tough, tough job for a lot longer than most people could have expected and did it very well," Ferguson said of Domi, who played 15 seasons in the league.

The popular pugilist, who is friends with Maple Leafs chairman Larry Tanenbaum, could be offered a position within the organization.

"We haven't got to that point yet," Morris said of whether Domi would rejoin the Leafs in a capacity other than a player.

"He's gratified for the long-term ability to put on a Leafs uniform, but he wanted to finish his contract there."

That "talentless goon" can do more than fight unlike some goons.

Tie can play a little.

Tie Domi was never much good. New NHL or not he'd be gone - he's almost 37 years old, and fighters just don't last that long.

He didn't last that long without any skills, but good riddance Tie - I hope that that Stanley Cup ring keeps you company in retirement... oh, wait..

Tie Domi was never much good. New NHL or not he'd be gone - he's almost 37 years old, and fighters just don't last that long.

He didn't last that long without any skills, but good riddance Tie - I hope that that Stanley Cup ring keeps you company in retirement... oh, wait..

He's better than you and a few others want to admit. You basically did in that bolded part.

He's better than you and a few others want to admit. You basically did in that bolded part.

So I have to throw a party for the guy 'cause he put in 10 goals some years? Great - he was a worse than average forward who could fight. Terrific. He's also a dirty scumbag with caterpillar eyebrows and a single-digit IQ.

One thing I will give Tie Domi: He was entertaining, he would piss off the fans of the other teams....if he was on your team, you loved him...

Did Tie have some talent? Yes he did...but I still believe if he was in his prime, there would be a place for him in the new NHL...I think the real issue is his skills were declining.

So I have to throw a party for the guy 'cause he put in 10 goals some years? Great - he was a worse than average forward who could fight. Terrific. He's also a dirty scumbag with caterpillar eyebrows and a single-digit IQ.

Kind of funny coming from a guy who cheers for Cam Janssen, who doesn't have any NHL skills and belongs in the ECHL.

Kind of funny coming from a guy who cheers for Cam Janssen, who doesn't have any NHL skills and belongs in the ECHL.

WTF Derek - this is a Devils message board, when are you going to learn that? Janssen is a valuable member of the team and hasn't cost New Jersey with dirty play yet.

I'm not going to praise the skills of most physical players who can fight - they're not very good. Tie Domi might've made it in the NHL in the Cam Janssen role if there were no fighting - terrific. He was still not a very good player, and he got a lot of minutes on some of those miserable Toronto teams. I'm also glad his retirement consists of 'We don't want you anymore, Tie'.

One thing I will give Tie Domi: He was entertaining, he would piss off the fans of the other teams....if he was on your team, you loved him...

Did Tie have some talent? Yes he did...but I still believe if he was in his prime, there would be a place for him in the new NHL...I think the real issue is his skills were declining.

^^

whs.

WTF Derek - this is a Devils message board, when are you going to learn that? Janssen is a valuable member of the team and hasn't cost New Jersey with dirty play yet.

I'm not going to praise the skills of most physical players who can fight - they're not very good. Tie Domi might've made it in the NHL in the Cam Janssen role if there were no fighting - terrific. He was still not a very good player, and he got a lot of minutes on some of those miserable Toronto teams. I'm also glad his retirement consists of 'We don't want you anymore, Tie'.

This is also Hell. So I'll tend to say something that might not always be popular in these parts. In the old NHL, a Janssen had more of a role. Unless he learns to finish a couple of plays (hitting the net would help), I just don't see what that is on the Devils other than to injure opposing players. It might be harsh but that's what I concluded.

As for Domi, he wasn't great by any stretch but didn't always have to drop the gloves to be effective. He was a decent skater for his size and could create a solid forecheck and even pop a few.

Of course, he's not going to be too popular here based on history (2001 Niedermayer). So it was expected there would be a "good riddance" reaction. Still was a tough SOB.

Domi deserved to get a chance to be recognized by Leaf fans and retire as a Leaf. He was successful there, not in the way that players usually measured success by, but he did his job and he was very good at it.

I'm obviously not sorry that he's leaving the game, growing ever wary of his tactics as a Sens fan, but being forced to retire is tough.

Anyhow, wonder who Don Cherry's next favourite player will be...